XAircraft got my hexa, some newbie questions...

hi everyone, got my hexa... im really excited about it... ( im new in the world of rc flying, my rc experience is with drift cars and short course trucks) i want to do some aerial videography with it in line with my work in a broadcast network... i have tried flying it 2 times and very happy with the results.. ( although i havn't flew any other quad or hexa or heli before so i dont have a point of comparison)....i have some newbie questions, your answers will really help me a lot in understanding the world of multi rotors.... thanks in advance....

my set up is:
xaircraft hexa
2212/920 kv dji motors
30 A opto dji esc
8/45 dji props
dji naza
dji gps
4s 4400 mah

total weight: 1650g

plan to put a go pro, a CMGOPRO-TPS gimbal and a video transmitter

here are my newbie questions, please bear with me...

1. 2212/920 kv - what does these numbers mean? do i have to change motor to accomodate gimbal and camera?
2. what will happen when i use 9in, 10in props? with the stock motor, will i get more flying time?
3. ive read about carbon fiber props, do i really need one?
4. i set my lipo alarm at 3.8 per cell, when the buzzer alarm i immediately put it down... i got around 7min of flying time.. is what ive been doing right? can i still go low at 3.5 per cell?
5. how high can the hexa go, 100m? 200? 300m?

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your answers, it will really help me a lot... any other suggestions will be highly appreciated....

Bowley

The XA Gimbal...great little unit for AP, lacking on tilt range though.
In my experience not suitable for AV though. I have upgraded my stock servo's to Savox hi speed ones, my results are getting better, but nowhere near the level a broadcast network would want. However I am only using a Naza for stabilization, another FC or dedicated Gimbal Stabilizer may produce better results. after all it is only a mechanical device doing what the Stab unit tells it to do.
Its very nice in terms of build quality like much of the XA stuff, and no noticeable play or backlash.
Oh one more thing....as far as I'm aware there are no spare parts available...defnitely going to be a factor in my next choice of gimbal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

Motor spec definitions http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1311397

y
ou want to use bigger props if your all up wieght is high, smaller if your light. larger props =lower rpm = less curent draw and vice versa.

carbon fibre props? I've never used them, most people seem to get good results with APC's and a lot swear by graupners (not sure if they are CF or not).

I have my voltage alarm set at 3.6, gives me some allowance to recover and not go below 3.3v which you should'nt do

you shouldnt go above 400ft with any RPA for flight safety reasons, this allows 100 separation between RC aircraft and manned aircraft with 500ft agl minimum

Dewster

These are components that fail: power systems (watch your battery voltage), flight control system (make sure you understand what your craft's system is capable of, (joining this forum is a good way of spotting potential problems with your system if there is a manufacture issue, software update etc. ), and props: make sure you are using the right ones and are securely attached. Some of the nuts supplied with motors come loose after a few flight. Your craft can have a costly crash if you lose a prop. If you were simply supplied with a nut to secure your prop, then invest in Nylock nuts. It will prevent the vibration of your craft from shaking the nut loose. Also... Don't buy into the carbon fiber prop craze. They are brittle. My Xaircraft DIY Hexa crashed on its second flight after installing the prop. APC props are cheap, but they do an outstanding job of keeping your craft in the air. They flex vs. self destructing.

I don't know what the Graupners are made out of, but I hear good things about them and they are hard to find. APC has a proven history.

Last thing is pilot error. Just watch where you fly and keep safety in mind while your flying.

rampa202

I have a Xaircraft hexa and the DJI 550 Hexa. I'm using standard XA motors (2215) for the XA hexa which probably leaves it a little underpowered as the XA hexa (and DJI for that matter) are heavy frames because of the plastic arms. The DJI motor/esc combo is more powerful and has a higher max gross weight so its not an issue for you.

I just bought some Graupner props from http://www.v-eastonline.com/. They are not carbon fiber, but some kind of nylon composite, probably similar to APC. They are made in Germany and are more expensive ($10-15 per prop) than anything other than CF blades. Graupners are the blade of choice for the DJI hexa, which is basically what you have. FYI, you can't use 10 inch props with a 4S lipo as the DJI motors will overheat - this is stated all over the internet. If you want 10 inch props you have to use a 3S lipo. I'm using 4S and I bought 9x5 Graupners which is the biggest prop you should use with 4S. Most people say that the DJI props are garbage, break if you look at them. Mine did not break when I hit something very hard however.

I also have the Xaircraft GoPro two-axis gimbal, but I haven't used it yet. I will use it for the Xaircraft hexa, and I have another Landing gear and gimbal for the DJI Hexa on order, made by Aeroxcraft. I was wondering if the Xaircraft gimbal might have limited travel and slower response because of the gear down arrangement at the servos. The other (inexpensive) gimbals I've seen are direct drive servos, so they would be faster and have greater travel, but servo twitch would be more obvious.

You probably know that the NAZA has a voltage monitor so those settings are most important. I think 3.8 V is a little high for a low voltage setting as 3.7V is the average value of lipo's, 4.2 is max and 3.2 is the number you should never go below, so I think 3.5V would be ok.

Russ