GoPro Three Black KILLED my MicroSd card

baker55

I used a 32GB sandisc and had all the same problems as you Dave. I lost some very important footage from a wedding that I'll never get back. Gopro said to reformat so I did. And re upgraded the firmware. I don't have the freezing up any more but I cannot fully trust this camera anymore. The 2 sec timer setting is more like 1 sec and I find the 5 sec is too long. The camera is warm to hot when using and when charging. Here is a file that I could not view, it had 1.07 GB of video but would not open. This happened 2 times during the shoot and gopro had no answers. All the other videos were great. I am very happy with quality and new options the gp3 has, its just now dependable!!!

Attachments

• mex.PNG
    mex.PNG
    7.1 KB · Views: 329

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Blades and Baker55

It is not good.

After much playing ping pong emails with GP customer support I got what Icould source locally in finland which was a 16GB Sandisk. Its worked ok. Since getting back to the UK I have bought 2 32GB Sandisk cards but have not used them in anger yet. Now I think I will just stick with the 16GB for now.

Its NOT good.

The battery life really sucks, so much so the only real way you can use these is with battery back pack.

As soon as I can get some insurance money to replace what I lost in the fire Ill be getting a GoPro2!

Dave

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
funny, in one thread the GoPro is like the second coming of Christ but here it's barely useable. i'm about to pull the trigger on a GoPro3, so what's the verdict after some time in the field with these?

The GoPro site has a Lexar 32GB card for $50 US but I'm considering the SanDisc Class 10 card, 32GB for about $24 from amazon.

In case anyone's wondering, Yes, I did use the link on the homepage to enter the GoPro store so I could generate a small commission for the site. :)

Bart

kloner

Aerial DP
the sandisk doesn't keep up with blackie....... you need a 30-40mb write or higher. i use samsung from best buy for $30 and it changed mine from trash to decent. it works in every mode now

hero 3 black on 1080 24p

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

thanks Kloner. Here's the info I found on the GoPro website

Here are the SD card requirements for each camera:
HERO3: Black Edition Camera

• A Class 10 MicroSD card up to 64 GB is required.
Not all Class 10 microSD cards have the same data write speeds. If you plan to shoot in 4k, 2.7k, or Protune video modes with your HERO3: Black Edition camera, we recommend using one of the following microSD cards for the best performance:

• Lexar 32GB SDHC 600x (LSDMI32GBSBNA600R)
  • Lexar 64GB SDXC 300x (LSDMI64GBBNL300R)
  • Delkin 32GB SDHC (DDMICROSDPRO2-32GB)
  • Delkin 64GB SDXC (DDMICROSDPRO264GB)
  • Samsung 64GB SDXC (MB-MGCGB/AM)
With the camera software update released July 29, 2013, using other microSD cards with your HERO3: Black Edition camera while shooting in 4K, 2.7K and Protune video modes may result in a reduction of the data stream rate from 45Mb/sec to 35Mb/sec.

For HERO3 Silver and White Editions, any class 10 microSD cards can be used, including SanDisk Ultra and Lexar.
HERO3: Silver Edition Camera

• A Class 4 MicroSD card up to 64 GB is required.
  • A Class 10 MicroSD card up to 64 GB is required for 0.5 sec Time-lapse, 10/1 Photo Burst, and Protune.
HERO3: White Edition Camera

• A Class 4 MicroSD card up to 64 GB is required.
  • A Class 10 MicroSD card up to 64 GB is required for 0.5 sec Time-lapse.

kloner

Aerial DP
i had an amazon sandisk class 10 like they sell and it locked up almost everytie i'd tunr it on. supposedly that update fixed it but i'd still get the better card no matter what mode you shoot on a black if you go that route. The resolution and picture is super nice on them when you get them on a dd gimbal

Bartman

just pulled the trigger on the camera and the Lexar 32GB 600x card.

thanks again for the help.
bart

kloner

Aerial DP
i had to buy a new black after this morning. Sucks........ had a zephyr lights out 600 feet up. P:eek:or thing still films but it ate the memory card. it was doing 7000 fpm when it went it. Crazy how tough they are.

Bartman

i had to buy a new black after this morning. Sucks........ had a zephyr lights out 600 feet up. P:eek:or thing still films but it ate the memory card. it was doing 7000 fpm when it went it. Crazy how tough they are.

too bad indeed. :)

my gopro 1 doesn't know it yet but it's going on the front of my FPV quad and I happen to have a personal goal of a 100 mph+ quad so it may not last very long out there! i bought the 3 figuring the 1 has its expiration date coming up fast.

Bartman

this time i got the spill and fall square trade....... there gonna crap when they see a claim

an insurance claim or GoPro warranty claim? From the comments in their amazon listings it looks like they're trying to do damage control and show that things are back working normally.

kloner

Aerial DP
its the insurance when you check out. Spill and fall. We crashed a gh3 and chipped the lens. They picked up the bill for a new one. All our cameras are on it now except the reds we get the additionaly insured waivers. I think the co is sq trade insurance, something like that. when you check out at amazon or bnh it's an option in a pop up window

Bartman

ahhhh....i grabbed the spills and falls coverage for the handicam i bought yesterday but got the gopro from the gopro site so didn't have the option there i don't think,..

SMP

Hey Bart, Kloners right, its the Spill and Fall through Square Trade. The bizarre thing is...if you buy in New York from B&HPhoto and you live (or in our case, ship) from New York, it may not be part of your Shopping Cart options... Dont ask me why, some regulation etc etc.... In that case you need to contact SquareTrade and make the purchase directly through them.

We CRATERED one of our Blacks (and the Disco it was on), not a spill, not a fall, I'm talking smashed, wires and **** sticking out etc.., sent the cam back, and they are replacing the Camera without a fuss!! So, so far, money very well spent.