Hoverfly GoPro Hero3 with HFP

dzwiss

Has any one had success using GoPro Hero3 with HFP for FPV and if so or not, what is your setup or what components did you get and from where to get it to work well? I am only interested in FPV flying for now, so I am deciding if its worth the money to go for the Gopro Hero3

David

kloner

Aerial DP
I have, it's not bad but not the best. dedicated cams have alot of things that make it not so much HD but are able to look at sun and see the ground, etc. the other thing that happens is when you record in hd formats, it displays with black areas top and bottom like opposite letterbox. it makes your picture smaller than if in SD like 1440 or 960 modes display. If you use it for photos, it goes black after each shot then comes back, makes for interesting flying.

dzwiss

What is your FPV setup of choice, Kloner?? You have the experience and seemed to have locked into a system you're happy with. I just dont want to do trial and error since funds are limited for now. Id like to use the HFP head-up display, and I live in an area full of trees and some open areas. Im not looking to go out too far...1/2 mile at the most.

kloner

Aerial DP
I run 2 different systems in whole and part.

immersion 5.8 600mw transmitters are great but limited in range, need cp antennas to use in flight. depending how high your noise floor is at current, this may or may not be enough. Alot of people are using and having succes with BOSS CAM transmitters, there the 500mw 5.8 vtx's with the fan

My main system is lawmate 2.4 video but i use immersion EZuhf on my radio instead of 2.4 to do so and a ham license. Immersion 5.8 retransmits the 2.4 feed to my monitors, other peoples goggles in range, etc. Makes everything wireless whether it's my tracker or remote antennas so can place them in the best spot possible and stand in another spot during flight, like shade or at least out of frame

just tried to upload some hero3 live feed i had captured but my dvr that captures that stuff is dying and didn't record any of it. I've been using it recently for directors to see a live feed from the cam

Last edited by a moderator:

dzwiss

Yeah...I am not looking to go out too far. I want to observe wildlife...see whats going on here and there...maybe get up high and look out in the distance. I also want that feel or sense of flight too. I know this is all not easy to achieve, but I do want to start with a well proven and quality setup and tweak it from there. I really appreciate and respect your opinion Kloner.

David, I'm using the GoPro3 for fpv with 5.8G TS 351 transmitter and Boscam GS920 goggles - short range only. I also use use that transmitter/goggle combo with a 690TVL Pixim Seawolf with 3.6mm lense. The main difference I see is very slight delay with the GoPro and also not quite as sharp but that may be because I'm shooting in raw mode. For your purposes, using the Hero with a gimbal so you can tilt down would work fine. I use it with real estate agents instead of the wifi because of the longer range and bright sunlight problem using i-pad/wifi option. Plus they think it's cool putting on the goggles ;) Also one less power drain on your lipo when using the GoPro for fpv. You'll need the 10 pin mini plug adapter that you can either buy or build - I soldered one up and it was such a hassle I'd buy one already made up next time. http://www.chargeconverter.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=164