GoPro HD users, Rejoice ?

Macsgrafs

Ross,

You are joking ? The curved Horizon and warped Verticals are not present in the corrected video.

There is a difference thats for sure, but its an awful lot of work when a new lens would stop that in the first place! I'm a big believer in sort out the problems before the editing stage!

Ross

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Nice video Sid but will your fix also get rid of the flapping horizon that I've seen in other software refined GoPro videos?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I found it much easier to pay the $49 and swap to a Sunex lens, problem solved permanently. I also have a standard HD Hero should I feel nostalgic for the curved view from the stock lens, so far it sits in a camera case unused.

Ken

Macsgrafs

I found it much easier to pay the $49 and swap to a Sunex lens, problem solved permanently. I also have a standard HD Hero should I feel nostalgic for the curved view from the stock lens, so far it sits in a camera case unused.

Ken

Thats my thoughts exactly Ken, new lens & by by to converging verticals

Ross

CopterCam

You are comparing Apples with Oranges........... a main feature of the GoPro is the wide FOV (127* & 170*) notwithstanding the 'Fisheye' effect, whereas the Sunex reduces the FOV to 90*. If a wide FOV is not a requirement then the Sunex lense option (Warranty voided) is a solution. I have seen video from the Sunex conversion and some users complained of exposure and softness issues. The conclusion was that the new lense was not perpendicular to the Sensor plane ?

I believe that Sunex also manufacturer a lense suitable for this thread and sensor with a 120* FOV. This might be worth exploring but it most probably will some non desirable lense issues on the image ?

Sid

Macsgrafs

I bought the gopro purely for price, I have never been a fan of wide angle stuff, so for me replacing the lens is the best thing, especially since I want to film in stereo! From memory the human eye is about 95 degrees FOV & I want to be able to film at full HD R5, but of course each to thier own & the software approach is good in that it saves having to buy new lenses for 2 x gopro's.

Ross

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
You are comparing Apples with Oranges........... a main feature of the GoPro is the wide FOV (127* & 170*) notwithstanding the 'Fisheye' effect, whereas the Sunex reduces the FOV to 90*. If a wide FOV is not a requirement then the Sunex lense option (Warranty voided) is a solution. I have seen video from the Sunex conversion and some users complained of exposure and softness issues. The conclusion was that the new lense was not perpendicular to the Sensor plane ?

I believe that Sunex also manufacturer a lense suitable for this thread and sensor with a 120* FOV. This might be worth exploring but it most probably will some non desirable lense issues on the image ?

Sid

All depends what your needs are, personally I didn't buy the GoPro for its FOV, I bought it because it was the only 720P 60FPS camera that didn't cost crazy amounts of $. To me the wide FOV with parts of my Hexa in the camera's view was not something that was on my shopping list, I'm quite happy with the Sunex lens conversion.

The threads on the GoPro mounting for the lens are both extremely fine and extremely soft, people that are having exposure and softness issues most likely didn't get the new lens perfectly square to the sensor when they installed it, very easy to do and hard to notice as the case has to be assembled to install the Sunex. It took me several tries before I got the Sunex correctly threaded into the mount, it is really difficult to to feel the difference between cross threaded and correctly threaded.

The conversion isn't for everyone but if like me the FOV is more of an annoyance than useful feature its an easy fix for the image curvature and distortion of the standard lens.

Ken

CopterCam

Ross & Ken, Yes, Can't disagree with your reasoning, it's amazing how many people have embraced the GoPro and adapted it to their respective needs. For me, the wide FOV in HD is a big plus and if some software allows me to improve the image, well that is a plus.

I will probably do the aftermarket lense conversion with another GOPro HD when some footage with the other lense starts to emerge for evaluation. There again. 3D AV would be interesting to see, how can one go about viewing the 3D GoPro video posted on YT?

Sid

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ross & Ken, Yes, Can't disagree with your reasoning, it's amazing how many people have embraced the GoPro and adapted it to their respective needs. For me, the wide FOV in HD is a big plus and if some software allows me to improve the image, well that is a plus.

I will probably do the aftermarket lense conversion with another GOPro HD when some footage with the other lense starts to emerge for evaluation. There again. 3D AV would be interesting to see, how can one go about viewing the 3D GoPro video posted on YT?

Sid

Pretty much what I've done I have one modified Hero HD and another stock one that I picked up for short $ on overstock.com.

To view the 3D videos you'll need 3D Anaglyph Glasses. I found out there's multiple ways to do 3D and each one has its own type of glasses, I tried two different sets I have here, one from an IMAX theater and the other that came with a 3D DVD and neither one works. Went to the GoPro site and found out about the anaglyph, not anything I know much about so I have no clue what the difference is...

Ken