GoPro for FPV main camera... Pros and Cons?

Rick~K

Free Bird
I'm having problems with my FPV camera and thinking about using a GoPro for a main camera. Any issues???
Thanks!

Tahoe Ed

I have used mine for video recording and for FPV. There is some latency, but not enough that it does not work. I got the pre made cable from ReadyMadeRC.com. Works fine, however, I will say that I like the video from my dedicated video camera. Higher definition, brightness, color saturation and no fisheye. I am using a Sony 550.

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm 6 months in FPV in quads, only fly when i goto the river and that's every 2-3 weeks, have burned 100's of thousands of mah FPV. so far all i've seen that sucks is you can't power it so it has to be kept charged. if it dies, so are you. It is easy to forget to shut it off and have it drain the battery. the cables they sell at rmrc are kinda stiff, will transmit jello. i cut that one back to where they add a servo wire and solder on my own rig, make my own heat shrink to protect it, and i make it to length and it works killer. you can use one of the cables that comes with the cam and add a servo wire, but make sure you terminate what your not using good as in make sure the left or right audio doesn't short out. i made a couple of em and used a new razor blade and stripped off the audio at the plug flat and short free, then used the +- of the video out to the osd. i never feed audio from cam to vtx, but osd is transmitting audio but have since shut it off

In my case i'm starting to see the other problem is one cam and a few craft one of these days the cam is gonna die and disable me from flying the others..... and that'd suck 200 miles from home and a mail box

GOPRO's transmit some rfi around 430 hz so if you use uhf, it can cause some people problems.