GoPro drone?

violetwolf

Agreed! Why do we need another drone manufacturer. I think the market is at full saturation already. A classic "cutthroat" situation with a race to the bottom price wise. Margins will be non existent.

BUT... DJI could use some proper competition and gopro could give it to them.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
We are faced with a question of "why"?

I'm no Andrew Carnegie, but I'll go out on a limb and say MONEY!

Seriously folks, if you have the capital, the brand recognition in cameras and your company is being critiqued as a "one trick pony," I think it's safe to say this would be a no brainier.

If a drone company like DJI can get into the camera business, I do t think it's a stretch for gopro to get into the drone business. Will it offer anything valuable or unique? Who knows. But it definitely makes sense for a company like that to dive right in.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have followed the GoPro development from day one. His early interviews were excellent as he was getting starting. He had an idea, it worked and he got traction. But he payed attention to what his customers were doing and followed them. That's when his business exploded. Some cash to grow and boom, fast expansion. I wouldn't bet against him.

I'm really hoping he comes out with a detachable gopro (or at least very small) camera without fisheye, f-stop control for exposure as well as iso, shutter speed. If they come out with a winner on the drone, great, if not, at least we'd have a great camera. They know cameras..... Time to expand their reach.

Also, it's not much of a stretch to realize that they' t kill the majority of the competition on service.

Old Man

This is where it would make sense. As just another MR to carry a GoPro, not so much but if changes to the camera that eliminated fish eye, provided hi def video transmission, in an even lighter portable package, with an ultra reliable, feature packed FC, it could be a winner. But several of those factors need to come together for it to gain and hold market share.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Agree, a combo with our dream camera, small, high quality, no fish eye, & radio control tied to a hidef (at least 720p) video tx that doesn't break the band would be HUGE IMO. If they then threw a quad that competed with the inspire, which includes a pretty stable wind machine and a more than adequate gimbal, they'd get some traction. DJI would try to run them out of business on price, but if they'd certainly get a lot of my business if they gave just average American style support.

dazzab

They should have partnered with 3DR to provide a camera specific to aerial photography. Would have helped both companies. I think they will regret the day they get involved with drones from a business point of view. I think the boat left the dock long ago on that opportunity.

Old Man

jfro,

DJI would indeed go the price undercut, again, but more visible would be the organized attacks against the product by members of a particular forum. They do try very hard to protect their market share. Go Pro will have to "keep it simple" and fully vet their product before putting it on the market to assure every feature functions as advertised. This is where 3DR dropped the ball and severely damaged their credibility among the less experienced with their large scale release. It will be interesting to see how this finally unfolds.

cootertwo

Well, maybe they will make a drone with a "built in" Go Pro, minus the clunky case. A GoPro stripped down, and running off the multirotor battery, could be quite small, for what it would do. And better quality than a Mobius, etc. etc.