GoPro 3 or Nex 7

Wife gave me go on adding another camera to my collection..:).. I already have a Nex 7 for my first Zenmuse.. I have a second Zenmuse and have put my old gopro on it and when balance does perform well.

Any input on should I go for the less expensive Gopro 3 Black or get another Nex 7?

I mainly do video only.. but lately, I have been doing still photo's in the air. My main concern is video quality.

Thanks,

KS

HPL

Wife gave me go on adding another camera to my collection..:).. I already have a Nex 7 for my first Zenmuse.. I have a second Zenmuse and have put my old gopro on it and when balance does perform well.

Any input on should I go for the less expensive Gopro 3 Black or get another Nex 7?

I mainly do video only.. but lately, I have been doing still photo's in the air. My main concern is video quality.

Thanks,

KS

I am brand new here, so this question may have a really obvious answer, but if you already have a really nice still camera (NEX-7), why wouldn't you be looking at one of Sony's new video cameras with the fancy new image stabilization (Balanced Optical Steadyshot) as a second camera? They aren't much heavier than the NEX-7 and it looks like their stabilization system is pretty sophisticated.

I am not sure one of those HDR-CX series?, I would like to get one too.. but my Zen may not be able to tilt all the way up or down without hitting the back of the Zen bar. The Second is not really a problem, since I already us the RCShutter for remote photo and video currently. I just took shipment on 2 of the V2 HDMI card replacement for the Zen so I can actually use the oneboard plug instead of have a IR bulb hanging around.. not to mention that the control was only possible when the camera is in a position to see the RCShutter IR. So, I am wanting to use the onboard control so I can trigger photo and video when the camera is in any angle and not have to worry about the facing the IR bulb.

You made a good point.. my hiccup is because I already have a Zenmuse.. it would be interesting to see if it does work.

Thanks..

KS

HPL

I am not sure one of those HDR-CX series?, I would like to get one too.. but my Zen may not be able to tilt all the way up or down without hitting the back of the Zen bar. The Second is not really a problem, since I already us the RCShutter for remote photo and video currently. I just took shipment on 2 of the V2 HDMI card replacement for the Zen so I can actually use the oneboard plug instead of have a IR bulb hanging around.. not to mention that the control was only possible when the camera is in a position to see the RCShutter IR. So, I am wanting to use the onboard control so I can trigger photo and video when the camera is in any angle and not have to worry about the facing the IR bulb.

You made a good point.. my hiccup is because I already have a Zenmuse.. it would be interesting to see if it does work.

Thanks..

KS

As I said, I'm a complete newbie and should probably just shut up and listen, but I have been wondering why it is that almost nobody uses actual video cameras. The GoPro seems to be a pretty cool little piece of equipment, but I don't like the linear distortion from the super wide angle lens, so I thought that the NEX-7 (actually my target camera for use with a drone) was a great choice for still photography, and a good choice for video if one was only flying one camera, but thought that an actual video camera might perform better in producing video. Hadn't thought about the physical shape of the camera possibly being a problem.

Though I would agree in just normal usage, but I would have to consider the raw video results from the flight, along with post work and what the video will be use for. I have seen some quality results from someone using some very very inexpensive multi-rotor and gopro.. then, again, some results from some expensive gear that aren't too impressive. I believe the production of the video is a combination of all.... but sits high on the experience of the post engineer.... I am still learning and always try to get input.... That is why, with my NEX-7, my results are similar to my GoPro HD when balanced.. so I know it is the operator. in my case.:)

KS

HPL

Though I would agree in just normal usage, but I would have to consider the raw video results from the flight, along with post work and what the video will be use for. I have seen some quality results from someone using some very very inexpensive multi-rotor and gopro.. then, again, some results from some expensive gear that aren't too impressive. I believe the production of the video is a combination of all.... but sits high on the experience of the post engineer.... I am still learning and always try to get input.... That is why, with my NEX-7, my results are similar to my GoPro HD when balanced.. so I know it is the operator. in my case.:)

KS

Thanks for the conversation. Nice to get a response. ONe more question: what lens on the NEX-7?

HPL