Good vibrations???

mrbones121

I recently just build my first quad from a scratch, a DJI f450 with E300 motors/props, a DJI Naza Lite, and a knockoff DJI frame. It flies great and is a blast however when flying it seems to wobble in the air on the axis of one of the arms which I'm sure will create some serious jello when I get a FPV system on it. Any advice on how to get rid of this wobble?

Do I just not have the weight balanced correctly on the copter or do I need to swap in different propellers?

Thanks in advanced!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
+1

Balancing the center of gravity, props and motors will go a long way toward making sure those issues are out of the equation. All of these things can (and will) cause vibes that will disrupt good video footage.

Try checking those things and let us know how you make out.

mrbones121

I thought because their genuine DJI props I would not have too but I'll order a prop balancer tonight and give it a shot.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Having a prop balancer will always be a good thing to have. All props should be checked. The motors too. And if you questioned whether the weight was centered correctly, it probably wasn't :)

mrbones121

I guess this begins the journey in my quadcopter journey of fighting "the jello". I always thought that jello occurred from small vibrations in the frame that were not really visible to the naked eye. When flying my quad, it is very noticeable that it is "shaking in mid air".

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Well, jello can be caused by several things. But rest assured, if your MR is visibly shaking, you definitely won't be getting good footage :)

Take it one step at a time. The entire experience will benefit from having a balanced craft. The center of gravity should be right. The props should've balanced. And the motors should be balanced using an app on your smart phone or a Lazer. All of these things will be required if you hope to get good footage. Solve it now, avoid the headache later....

mrbones121

Well my motors defiantly spin true and are anchored with four screws so no issue there. How do you level your MR? Just put it on an edge and use a level to check the weight distribution?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm not sure if you're saying you have balanced the motors or not - or are again just trusting DJI to have manufactured them correctly? Even the most expensive props and motors need to be checked for balance - and most often need tweaking.

Regardless, if the quad is shaking so that you can see it (it's hard to know exactly how bad without seeing video), chances are it's something more extreme than the symptoms that cause jello previously mentioned.

Make sure that all bolts are tightened on the quad. Arms, center plates, motor mounts, motors, prop adapters etc. Then try to see if you can flex it with some pressure. These frames flex a bit - but shouldn't cause dramatic shaking. After you secure frame etc, move on to making sure the weight is distributed evenly on the frame. Ideally you want weight centered on all axis. Get it as close as possible. There are several examples of how to balance CoG on YouTube. But even eye-balling it will be fine for basic setup.

Then you can balance the props, and if you haven't done so, try leveling & balancing the motors. They need to be level to the center plate (FC), and of course, each other.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey Tundra!

Ironically that was the video I was about to post. That's the one that comes up first in Google if you search "how to balance brushless motors"

There are many others that will explain it well.

Good luck.

Can anyone help Me? When my retracts go up **** starts to shake violently. How do I transfer cog for when my retracts are up?