Good camera for aerial photography - with remote zoom functionality

Jake

Hi guys, as the subject suggests, i'm looking for a camera that i can remotely control the zoom from the ground via the Tx. (i know stabalisation will be an issue but humour me)
smile.png

Does anybody ave experience of doing this. I'd like to keep the camera as light as poss so was thinking Sony Nex size, but i can't find any info about remote zoom control on these, so i assume it can't be done.

In which case i guess we're talking DSLRs.

Anybody know of a setup that would do what i'm asking?

Thanks.

DennyR

It depends on how much you want to zoom. A large amount has many problems with vibration and tracking the camera smoothly, it requires digital object tracking and the technology to achieve this is quite close but nothing that I know of is commercially available yet. The level of accuracy with brushless gimbals is not good enough to mechanically steer the camera, so I would say that your best bet is to create your small zooms with the software in post. If you don't mind lifting a monster then the results with Sony's Balanced Optical System is not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

About a year ago I saw a video from Holger Buss (Mikrokopter) with some zoom footage. I cant find the video at present but hopefully someone else remembers it.
edit: found it.

Last edited by a moderator:

gentled

Unfortunately there are no current production cameras that can smoothly zoom with gentLED - ZOOM. The LANC OPTION will work with a camcorder but not a dslr. We are working on some new ideas but for now the options are limited. Sorry!

Maverick

Hi guys, as the subject suggests, i'm looking for a camera that i can remotely control the zoom from the ground via the Tx. (i know stabalisation will be an issue but humour me)
smile.png

Does anybody ave experience of doing this. I'd like to keep the camera as light as poss so was thinking Sony Nex size, but i can't find any info about remote zoom control on these, so i assume it can't be done.

In which case i guess we're talking DSLRs.

Anybody know of a setup that would do what i'm asking?

Thanks.

Try the Sony HDR-CX410

I saw this, and was very impressed : http://youtu.be/XcxpKVE5LOU

check out his other videos, for how to make the remote zoom, using a servo - very neat.

I've just ordered a Sony HDR-CX410VE from Amazon, so looking forward to trying it out, with the B.O.S.S. lens. It seems like just a smaller version of the popular CX730/CX760, using slightly smaller sensor, but its nearly half the weight...

RC Rotors

You can also go this route. assembly comes with a clutch system so it wont ruin your stops.

Attachments

• photo 1 (1).jpg
    photo 1 (1).jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 327
  • photo 1 (2).jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 353