Go Pro Hero 2 - Has anyone found a way to remotely snap photos using the transmitter

hershey

Someday Finally Got Here
I'd like to be able to use the Go Pro shutter button by use of a servo to snap pictures or start stop videos. I'm aware that the wifi option with smartphone is there and I have it but the range is really poor and unpredictable. I'd like to use a simple servo to activate the shutter button but the button is sooooo stiff I don't think a servo would be able to activate it.
Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
You can video and take stills from that I guess. Not exactly what you're looking for. The button on the camera without the case on moves easily. Maybe using a servo minus the Gopro hard case would work?

jforkner

Try the Time Lapse setting (i.e., take a picture every X-seconds) for stills. You'll have some images you don't want, but will likely have some you do. For video, just edit out the footage you don't want.

Jack

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I use the time lapse function set for an image every 2 seconds, I get very good results from it.

Bowley

I used to use 5 but got fed of disposing of so many files, so went to 10sec, Find it allows more FPV time to frame shots also.
I so wish Gopro would offer a narrow FOV for stills, its so frustrating having such a capable little camera rendered unsuitable for distant shots.
So someone please tell me there is, and that I just haven't found it yet :)

olof

Osprey
I used to use 5 but got fed of disposing of so many files, so went to 10sec, Find it allows more FPV time to frame shots also.
I so wish Gopro would offer a narrow FOV for stills, its so frustrating having such a capable little camera rendered unsuitable for distant shots.

I think the reason that only video can be "zoomed" is that it is not an optical zoom it is digital, so in effect you are just cropping, so with a narrower view you get a lower pixel count. This does not matter in video because video is interpreted down.

So for stills you may as well crop yourself.

I also use time lapse to get stills with GoPro and other cams as well, unless I use my Zenmuse, there you can switch from video to stills and trigger remotely while seeing the frame and then switch back to video again, this is a fantastic feature in the Zenmuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowley

I think the reason that only video can be "zoomed" is that it is not an optical zoom it is digital, so in effect you are just cropping, so with a narrower view you get a lower pixel count. This does not matter in video because video is interpreted down.

So for stills you may as well crop yourself.

I also use time lapse to get stills with GoPro and other cams as well, unless I use my Zenmuse, there you can switch from video to stills and trigger remotely while seeing the frame and then switch back to video again, this is a fantastic feature in the Zenmuse.

That would probably explain why 1080p doesn't seem to quite come up to par in narrow mode, maybe a lens change is on the cards.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Hero GoPro 3 just announced a new firmware update that gives you the option of a narrower FOV at 60fps then previously..... for what it is worth (but maybe they means "medium" versus the previous "wide").