Gimbal Alware

nisouck

Attachments

• Alware Gimbal.jpg
    Alware Gimbal.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 281

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors

I have no direct experience with it but one thing to note is that they are not using external potentiometers with the servos, the result of that is the mount will have a limited range of motion on all axis. The degree of tilt you see in the video is the maximum you will be able to attain with it, so in other words while it has sufficient range of motion on tilt for the flight controller to compensate for the movement of the multi, you will not be able to manually tilt the camera to face straight down. In some cases you can offset the center point of travel in the flight controller software setup for more travel in one direction but in any case it will limit the compensation travel in opposite direction, usually not too much of a problem on the tilt axis.

Personally I think it would be a good starter mount if it were about half the asking price, as-is it's too much $ for the limited capability you'll get from it.

Ken

GGoodrum

is the way they setup the gears desireable versus the pulley/belt?

I've found that with geared systems, there's always going to be a bit of backlash, or "slop" in the gears, which tends to get worse over time. You don't have this problem with belt drives, in my opinion.

-- Gary

powerplay

Hi,

i ordered the aware 3axis. At the moment the gimbal is in custom transit to me. I hope, i´ll get it end of this week or beginning of next week.
I will write about my experiences....

Kari

I have this under my 500X. It fits well for gaui setup but has some few weak points. 2mm Brass screws fixing to 500X body is a joke, stock servos are just not big enough for torque needed for movements, 2 of 3 servos in my mount has already burnt. I ordered few bigger different size servos from hobbyking to test which works best for tilt and roll. I think pan axis is useless in this case anyway, movements it can make is not even close what would be needed, actually imo it should have continuous pan movement to be useful so i took whole servo away and used cable ties to make it fixed. MR yaw panning with some dual rate settings can make much smoother pans. Also tilt axis movements are not even close needed, just for "fine tuning". Camera mounting plate and whole structure is not thick and strong enough so camera jitters easily when using tilt, so i took also tilt servo out of use and found it way more stabile just fixed. I think it needs many improvements and has few weaknesses but it also works as a good landing gear and lowers CG quite a lot, also makes space for carry bigger lipo. For this use it's a quite expensive part though.

I think a lot of it's weaknesses can be fixed with some mods, like bigger servos, replacing gear drive with belt for tilt axis, replacing thicker and stronger camera plate, strengthen overall configuration, also one plate of landing "ski" of mine is already broken so need to find out some fix for that too before second plate brokes when it comes much more difficult to fix. But for this price i think these things should be fixed by alware guys before starting to selling this.

Kari

elorest

Hey powerplay. Could you post some video footage or any sort of review for the 3 axis gimbal you purchased from alware back in december? I'm looking at getting it but I can't really find any useful information from people who actually use it. Thanks.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I've found that with geared systems, there's always going to be a bit of backlash, or "slop" in the gears, which tends to get worse over time. You don't have this problem with belt drives, in my opinion.

-- Gary

interesting. i've found with belts that if they aren't tight enough there's spring and bounce in the motion but making the belts too tight beats up on the servo output shafts. i'm using gears on tilt and roll and they're working great, zero strain on the servo shafts as well.