Get rid of my DX7 for something potentially more reliable?

Trike

I currently fly a DX7 with my multirotor. I've never had any problems with it at all. But with me having thousands into my multirotor now, it would suck to crash it due to a lockout or interference due to DSM2 only using 2 channels.

Would moving into a Futaba T8J be a better choice? I can use the DX7 for the radian instead.

thoughts, suggestions, comments are all welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

PaNt

I currently fly a DX7 with my multirotor. I've never had any problems with it at all. But with me having thousands into my multirotor now, it would suck to crash it due to a lockout or interference due to DSM only using 2 channels.

Would moving into a Futaba T8J be a better choice? I can use the DX7 for the radian instead.

thoughts, suggestions, comments are all welcome.

Thanks!

Yeap a lot better choice.. A lot more reliable :) :) :)

kloner

Aerial DP
the 8j has unbelievable range. For a die hard jr guy for the last 20 years, this cheap little thing rocks.

airplane has a ratcheted throttle, heli doesn't. has 2x 3way switches and a rotary dial

Trike

Yeah the 8J isn't as pricey as I expected. After the hour or so of reading up on the 8J, it seems like a pretty nice radio for the price. I'm more concerned about link reliability. I feel like i'm rolling the dice everytime I fly my Hexa with the DX7.

Malcr001

For the price of a Futaba T8J rc tx and rx it would be cheaper to buy UHF rc system and attach it to your DX7. That way you get far further range and no longer rely on DSM2 tech.

Trike

yeah, I considered that, but I wanted to keep the radio stock and not modify it.

I just ordered the 8JH from Tower. $250 and it comes with a 8 channel and 6 channel receiver. I'm mainly looking forward to using the S.Bus and cleaning up the wires.

kloner

Aerial DP
that would be an option, but depending where he is and where he's flying it may require a ham license to do it. the dx7 is better if you hack the inside for ppm.

the futaba 8j uses the same fhss tech as ezuhf, etc but is on 2.4 and for that, your covered by the ama and doesn't need licensing. the 8j with the supplied rx is suppose to do a mile if you put the antenna up and back like the manual

this was a flight on one. When i get out there and turn around, i'm parked and flying from the big mountain on the left
the sattelite wouldn't boot up on the eagle tree that flight or i'd have gone further. i was lost out there, didn't know how far i was, etc......

Last edited by a moderator:

Malcr001

yeah, I considered that, but I wanted to keep the radio stock and not modify it.

I just ordered the 8JH from Tower. $250 and it comes with a 8 channel and 6 channel receiver. I'm mainly looking forward to using the S.Bus and cleaning up the wires.

I hacked my DX7 so I can get a better PPM signal but I have read comments about it working fine just using the trainer port.

It looks like you have already made your decision anyway, $250 looks like a good deal.

Trike

I definitely appreciate all the feedback, I'll be moving my DX7 to control the gimbal, instead of the 9x. Maybe Once I get into FPV, I can look at modding the DX7 for longer range. But I wasnt aware that a HAM license is required for a higher power setup. I'm located in washington, so the rules most likely apply to me as well.

kloner

Aerial DP
not cause it's higher powered but because it's on the 433mhz frequency also known as 70cm. it's a popular channel for things like garage door openers, alarm sensors and alot of weird things. Alot of those things don't work when your on around them. Guys talking on it with ham radios get pissed, etc.

Once you have a license your golden, and can fly off 20 miles if your video link holds in there