General Advice and opinions please

Any FPV Multi-Rotor guys out there, i get so confused when it comes to this stuff
Advice appreciated.
I have been flying helis for the last couple of years, and my mates quads are really inspiring me to get into FPV.... after wearing a pair of Fatsharks.. is quite enjoyable compared to flying Helis.. can be stressful..
Every time i try and consider buying one i get scared off because of so many options out there.
So im thinking DJI stuff might be the way to go cause its easy and comes all in bundles.
I am used to setting Helis up using Wizards and so on, so DJI seems like the most likely option for me, i honestly would rather be flying that tweaking all the time, like i have heard from my mates in regards to Multiwii, and the HK KK boards etc.

First up im thinking this kit
DJI 450 with Naza V2, GPS and basic Motor/ESC
Is this a good value option?
Or should i buy my bits seperately.. like a motor set/ esc set/// or are the DJI combo bits going to do me fine?
http://www.rc711.com/shop/dji-flame...ding-skid-combo-p-8486.html?cPath=341_378_391

When it comes to the FPV link side of things i see there seems to be around 3-4 major players

1. Boscam

2. Dji

3. Fatshark

probably others that im not away of

At this early stage, i will not use a UHF link, i will master the 5.8 video link first, and get my fpv flying fine tuned.

so for example
This is the DJI TX/RX combo which has antennas and the links included

http://www.rc711.com/shop/dji-avl58...f-antenna-free-ship-p-8159.html?cPath=383_384

Then i would need a screen at the receiving end or goggles etc..
This one below has the included camera.
(one thing to note i have a Go pro hero 3 already, any way to use that as a broadcasting device to get the pictures to the goggles? )

http://www.rc711.com/shop/fatshark-attitude-v2-fpv-headset-p-8645.html?cPath=383_384

I am highly considering the TBS Core and upgrade if i go the DJI 450 option.
The 450 option from RC 711 seems to be a good value pack as you get the Naza M V2, also the Giball for Go pro , (i have a Hero 3 ready to do)

other option could be a

UAV400
http://www.getfpv.com/multi-rotor-frames/qav400-fpv-quad.html

I see some good reviews on this set up.

Cheers for any info you can give me
Andrew.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Andrew,

I wish I could be of some help but I just am not versed enough in the FPV realm to assist. I am just starting out but have been researching for a couple of months.

I will be doing FPV and aerial video in the future but I elected to build my own DJI F450 frame but sourced parts from many different stores. I elected to go this route so that I could be intimately familiar with the setup and the inevitable repairs that will come when I crash.

Hopefully some of the FPV guys will chime in soon!

Welcome to this great community here at MRF!

Mike :)

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Hello and welcome. Im not into FPV at all as such (only due to time otherwise I would be all over it like a rash) but I reckon the DJI packages are excellent value although I would stay away from the DJI downlink. Not because its a bad link, far from it, but it is not designed for FPB so to say. Use the Fatshark system and you have goggles with a receiver already built in and a much nicer setup I suspect. Can't speak for the Boscom it could be better or worse than Fatshark. Anyway, welcome to the fold.

Flydigital

I'm also starting but a few weeks ahead of you (but more of a beginner in a way as I've not been doing an RC stuff previously).
I got the F550 as an ARF kit. - Frame, motors, ESCs, screws - kept it simple. Judging by cost of buying motors separately prices seemed OK. £200 for the kit. Frame, 6 x motors, 6 x ESCs.

As for FPV, DJI don't do FPV but do have OSD (either iOSD or iOSD mini) I have gone for this as I like the plug in modularity. Other systems may be better if you know what you're doing - maybe lighter as you could possibly buy the raw PCB components rather than the neatly sealed items.

First link doesn't work but other stuff looks good. I've been told that a decent receiver is important - UNO or Diversity and Patch antenna which have to pint at the aircraft. Not sure what goes n the craft though? Is it the Clover leaf antenna, as per link 3?

Sorry if this is too basic. I'm asking the same stuff at the moment..:)

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
DJI stuff is great, truly plug and play. I use Naza V2 with the zenmuse h2-3d gimbal. I don't do FPV, but do AP. My AP equipment is Immersion, (TX, RX, OSD). Here's the caveat. DJI's customer service is an oxymoron. To say it suck's would imply that there is some. The US dealers try their best, but at the end of the day they are at the mercy of DJI. I sent my gimbal to the dealer 12/15 for repair. They forwarded it to China. China has had it for a month now. Chinese New Year starts on Thursday so I'll be lucky to get it back in April. This is not an isolated incident. Read the DJI threads and the bitching about customer service. If you buy DJI just hope you don't need their support.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
You use FPV (first person view) to do AP (aerial photography). FPV doesn't just mean goggles, it's any video transition/receiving equipment. If you use a monitor to frame shots for AP then that's FPV.

Mouthful! Any help?

Malinois1

I have the QAV400 and the 540G and am sold on it. I started with the f450 an the f550. Both I flown FPV with success but I think the QAV's are more suited for it. The draw back with the QAV IMHO is if you are new to Multirotors and FPV they are pretty unforgiving in a crash and expensive to replace crash parts. Where with the F450 and F550 is relatively cheap to rebuild. I still have all four but I only fly with the QAV's, I use my F450 as a practice quad for Manual fliying. F550 is starting to collect dust but I will get her back to FMC (Full Mission Capable) one of these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

CdA D

I use goggles for the photographer and a monitor for myself. That way he can see what he needs to see and I can see the aircraft and what the camera shows me on the monitor at the same time. Their both FPV. There are a few options out there so it becomes personal preference.

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
I have the QAV400 and the 540G and am sold on it. I started with the f450 an the f550. Both I flown FPV with success but I think the QAV's are more suited for it. The draw back with the QAV IMHO is if you are new to Multirotors and FPV they are pretty unforgiving in a crash and expensive to replace crash parts. Where with the F450 and F550 is relatively cheap to rebuild. I still have all four but I only fly with the QAV's, I use my F450 as a practice quad for Manual fliying. F550 is starting to collect dust but I will get her back to FMC (Full Mission Capable) one of these days.

I do the same, my 650 is loaded with expensive equipment, so makes a lousy practice hex because if I were to crash the repair cost could easily exceed $500. The flip is my practice quad, is almost indestructible. Repairs are relatively cheap. I get enough pucker factor with the hex when I fly it for AP, could not imagine practicing with it.