Futaba 14SG Telemetry

Quinton

Just looking at getting the lipo voltage from the Futaba 14 SG and the R7008SB.
I see in the manual, that there are 2 ways of doing this, but I think 1 of the ways can only get the info from 1 lipo, not sure?
The CA-RVIN-700 (FUTM5551) is a simple external voltage cable that gives your lipo voltage back to your transmitter, but can't find it anywhere in the UK at all.

You also have the SBS-01V that plugs into your S-BUS port which I can find easily in the UK but its £45
http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/sbs-01v-manual.pdf

Has anyone managed to set telemetry up with the 14SG this way.
Getting the receiver voltage already works without any cables, just want to try and get lipo voltages transmitted back to the transmitter.
Have searched for hours for a UK reseller, but cant find 1 anywhere for the CA-RVIN-700

econfly

The FUTM5551 is just wire, the plug, and in inline fuse. Everything works just fine without the fuse, but it does protect your receiver in the event of a short or wiring fault (and assures your receiver can't short the power supply as well). If you have or can find a plug that will fit it would be easy to make your own. I bought one, but at $18 in the U.S. (Tower Hobbies) it is very much over-priced. The wire is connected to any voltage source (ESC pad, main voltage input, etc). And, yes, you get voltage from just that source this way. I have no experience with the SBS-01V.

Quinton

The FUTM5551 is just wire, the plug, and in inline fuse. Everything works just fine without the fuse, but it does protect your receiver in the event of a short or wiring fault (and assures your receiver can't short the power supply as well). If you have or can find a plug that will fit it would be easy to make your own. I bought one, but at $18 in the U.S. (Tower Hobbies) it is very much over-priced. The wire is connected to any voltage source (ESC pad, main voltage input, etc). And, yes, you get voltage from just that source this way. I have no experience with the SBS-01V.

Thanks for your reply, I did purchase a couple from China earlier for £5 each.
Problem is it takes 2-3 weeks to come.

I did find the following earlier in another forum also, if anyone wants to look at making their own.

The connector is a Molex PicoBlade 1.25mm. You can buy pre-crimped leads, so rolling your own is as simple as plugging the lead in, no faffing with crimps or soldering, and as reliable as can be :) You need to buy the lead wires, and a socket housing and then push the lead wire into the socket housing.

Pre-crimped leads
Molex part number: 06-66-0013
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=279-9522

Socket housing
Molex part number: 51021-0200
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=279-9156

Works out a bit less than £1 per lead if you cut the pre-crimped lead in half (it's got a crimp on each end, gives you 150mm leads). Any low current inline fuse should do, I don't think the spec is critical as I think it's there just to stop disasters. I use this one (£0.28):
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=764-9576
but I don't think it's better than any other.

It is actually a 1 Amp Picofuse

Also need to thank you for your other post regarding the landing gear and the S800, as it really helped me to set it up. :)
http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...-Landing-Gear-not-Locking&p=129408#post129408

The 14SG and combo receiver is really good value for money for what you get.

Last edited by a moderator:

Electro 2

A single cell LiPo battery extension for micro SRHs is the same connector. Easy to find an extension at the local hobby shop, at mine it was a grand total of $1.49. I bought two.

Quinton

The ca-rvin-700 cable just arrived, and is working perfectly.
A quick video below of the Telemetry and Voice warning coming from the Futaba T14 SG
Really handy now having the Lipo Voltage displayed (and sounded) on the transmitter.

Quinton

Just an update on this receiver, In case anyone hasnt seen it yet, software V3 has been out for a few weeks now.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/software-updates.html

Adds data logging to telemetry onto an SD Card, and fixes a few voice bugs..

Also managed to get my SBS-01G Telemetry GPS Sensor working today I think, after having a last play about with it, I entered the last 5 digits of the serial number into port 15 (even though the manual said it wasnt required unless I had 2 or more sensors) it seemed to have changed to all green, so fingers crossed that's all sorted too.
I did also get the RPM telemetry sensor, but think I got the wrong one, as it wants me to drill a hole in the motor which isn't going to happen, so I will change it for the optical one, instead of the magnetic one.

Mojave

Is there anywhere in the 14SG manual where it talks about multirotors? This is my first radio and it seems to be focused on other aircraft.

Quinton

Is there anywhere in the 14SG manual where it talks about multirotors? This is my first radio and it seems to be focused on other aircraft.

No such thing regarding multirotors and manuals.
Its not just Futaba, its all transmitters.

Its just a matter of reading as much as you can and applying it.
I'm also very new to this, but the 14SG is a really nice transmitter.
Have a read at the following thread that may help you out a bit during setup.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...ib-Retractable-Landing-Gear-not-Locking/page3

Something your not sure about just say and I'm sure people here will try and help you get through.
Not saying its the right way to do it, but it works.

cbpagent72

I am thoroughly confused setting up the CA-RVIN-700. The directions state cut 30mm of the positive (-, black) line from the cable. Solder the fuse inline on the positive wire and re-attach the section of wire that was previously removed. Okay, so do I put the fuse on the positive line or the negative. The directions are so confusing. I put the fuse on the negative line and I do not get any readings on my 14SG.

View attachment 16430

Attachments

• Futaba-Ext-Voltage-Input-Cable-2.jpg
    Futaba-Ext-Voltage-Input-Cable-2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 1,086

Quinton

I am thoroughly confused setting up the CA-RVIN-700. The directions state cut 30mm of the positive (-, black) line from the cable. Solder the fuse inline on the positive wire and re-attach the section of wire that was previously removed. Okay, so do I put the fuse on the positive line or the negative. The directions are so confusing. I put the fuse on the negative line and I do not get any readings on my 14SG.

View attachment 20422

Is your telemetry turned on in your transmitter?
Go to Telem.Set and make sure it is activated.
You also might want to upgarde to the latest firmware for the transmitter, but it should still work.

Quinton

Try and add Rx battery receiver to the data option and see if it is even picking up your Rx voltage.
Also have a look in "sensor" and see if SBS-01G is set on port 8-15, I know the manual says that you dont need to do this if you only have 1 sensor, but enter the 5 digits from your sensor (On mine its 01682).
Then goto page 7 of the sensor and select "register"
Then if you go outside it should turn constant green after a few minutes.

Have you had a look at updating your firmware to the latest, the ones that include speech like in the video below..

You don't actually hear the speech unless you plug in an earphone socket in the back and activate it in the receiver.

Quinton

Actually looking at your picture it is showing as port 16..I remember its supposed to be 8-15 or 24-31 for the SBS-01G

Quinton

I moved it to 8 and entered the 02118 number and tried to register the sensor but I keep getting a communication error.

Yes I get them also, but after weeks of playing it just suddenly started to work once I took it outside, and it picked up GPS
Try also adding it to 24-31 at the same time.
I was going to send mine back as I thought it was broke, but it will only start to work once you have a good GPS picked up outside.

On the off chance you are def also plugged in to sbus-2 ..right?