Frequency for best range of RC system

Breezer1

Night Fury
I believe I read somewhere that guys were using 72Mhz radios on PPM to derive a greater range than the Ghz systems. Even taking into account using multiple remote recievers.
Any one have any firm knowledge about this?
I still have some really nice JR 72Mhz radio equipment and could convert easily.
The DSM2 stuff is working okay for LOS, but, when I get the FPV going, I'll want the comfort of greater range.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Breezer1

yeehaanow

Normally, my 72mhz will go way out of site. But put a high power video Tx and I start to get failsafe hits around 1000-1500'. LRS to the rescue.

kloner

Aerial DP
I was messing with 2.4 spektrum, it consistently hit 2200 feet and popped into failsafe. i'd hold the transmitter up and get it back. Saw it as short as 1700 feet a few times

RCNut

An alternative is add a FrSky 2.4GHz, 2 way system to your radio. You can buy an upgrade module for about $35 which will convert any radio with a PPM signal. Then simply buy a 2 way FrSky telemetry receiver (about $23 each) and get increased range 1.5 - 2 kms along with telemetry based RSSI warnings back to your TX to warn you if your signal gets weaker. I've never had such peace of mind since I upgraded to FrSky equipment. You always know well in advance what your signal strength is doing.

In my case I actually bought a Turnigy 9x and added the plug in FrSky module as I didn't want to mod my radio but if you have a spare radio its a cheaper alternative to mod it. There's plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to to it.

I also use a 432 Mhz RangeLink system (similar to Kloner's) for very long range but I use that on fixed wing FPV because its much easier to travel longer distances when you can glide home.

+1 on the FrSky equipment. I use them on JR radios for my quads, as they provide more than enough range and are frequency-agile (80 Hz I believe). I also put them in my electric park flyers and use the telemetry for not only RSSI but to monitor the airborne voltage as well. You have to get the small LCD screen (which just plugs into the back of the Tx module) to see the values but it works great! You can also get variometers, temp gauges etc.

I like the system for close to moderate range work. One of these days I plan on getting a TSlrs or Dragonlink system, but for now this is a sweet deal.