Freefly MoVI

maverickfilms

Hi,

So Freefly systems announced a few new goodies at NAB 2013 as I am sure you are all acutely aware of by now. Alongside their HL version of their Cinestar 8 are two gimbals, the Movi 10 and the Movi MR. These give the impression they could be gamechangers and the M10 particuarly seems to give movement like never before to filmmakers of all levels. The sort of shots that would have otherwise costs hundreds of thousands in stedicam / track and dolly / jibs etc is now more available for $15,000. That being said this is a multirotor forum and you feel they have you covered here with the $15,000 MR version. For me it creates a sort of dilemma. For example I think $15,000 is incredibly expensive for a camera gimbal when you take a similary specced Zenmuse gimbal for a fraction of the cost. Now admittedly you are limited to a single camera with the Zenmuse but still, we are talking $5k rather than $15k...My question is two fold, firstly does anyone out there know if you are able to mount the M10 (the 'ground' version) to a drone, granted there may be the need for a few extra accessories but the actual gimbal looks the same but for me the ability to take something like the M10, use it as essentially a stedicam for now and then when the time comes attach it to a drone is important. And secondly it gets me to thinking about the Zenmuse, with a bit of tinkering would not be able to make a similar product for the ground?

Would be interested in your thoughts on the above and hope you are all enjoying geeking out over NAB!!

Cheers

Bowley

I cant help but feel that its this crossover into mainstream film industry that screwed us MR users here. I agree $15000 is a drop in the ocean in comparison to steadicam equipment dolly's etc, and I think this is the primary market. unfortunate for us they have to carry that price tag over into the MR.
Perhaps I'm wrong but thats my gut feeling.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It's all about what the market will bear. It's probably not more than $1000 in parts your looking at there but they account for the cost of marketing, including the crazy price of floor space at NAB, the cost of R&D to get the product where it is, cost of customer service, general overhead. It's basically what a company based in America has to do to stay alive. If I charged by the hour I would be out of business years ago. Instead I look at what other pole dancers make and I charge for the whole night, not just one dance. Wait, maybe a bad analogy.

The real issue here is that people get crabby when they want something but it's not "china" cheap. And it is very possible that China will copy this idea, as they do with everything else with no consequences, and sell it for less than half. So unfortunately another thing a business model needs to consider is how long will their product be fresh? How long will it take for china to sell the product you just made for less? It's entirely F'ed up and makes me very depressed. Everyone on here is guilty of supporting the problem. As I too feel Freefly and Quadrocopter are way overpriced, I also understand why. And if it was me in their shoes I would do the same thing. At times it is annoying to see how everyone has a cinestar with the same mount and camera, but this is a well made product and they clearly know how to market it. I'm sure if Bart had the millions and manpower his XY8 would be all over the forums. I'm truthfully grateful to see that things are still being invented in the USA. I'm not giving into this global economy crap when China can sell it's garbage without exporting regulations.

llbr22

The real issue here is that people get crabby when they want something but it's not "china" cheap
Word!! I'm not just agreeing cuz I know ya either ;-)

But that said, there were a TON of Chinese off manufacturer booths there for sliders, supports, stabilizers, motion rigs, you name it! They were all mostly on the out skirts in small booths. It's a good area for cheap indie shooters, hobbyists, and others to score deals. But the pro's at NAB, and there were plenty there, were all at the big booths where all these rigs cost much much more! If Freefly and US keep up the good work, they'll stay in the upper echelon and have plenty of professional support.

i.e. you do NOT see proffessional DP's and Cinematrographers backing the cheap chinese gear.

Yes, the off-shoots may drive prices down, and of course this is the first year of the mainstream brushless gimble for 'ground use', but there's still a place for the high end. And I can assure you there's much more money there.

I have clients who make me budget (into their cap-ex budget) stabilization rigs, and some are already asking about flying rigs. If I specified cheap copy rigs, I'd look like a tool. Not to say the manufacturing for popular products won't end up overseas, but at least the origination comes from here.

r44heli

The new Zenmuse Evo might be worth a look - particularly with 2.5x more powerful direct drive motors, 3x more stable than current Zenmuse gimbals and advanced vibration dampening.

ChrisViperM

The new Zenmuse Evo might be worth a look - particularly with 2.5x more powerful direct drive motors, 3x more stable than current Zenmuse gimbals and advanced vibration dampening.

Did anyone make accurate measurements on "2.5x more powerful" and "3x more stable".....???

It's the same marketing blabla like on the first Zenmuse....here is some text of the actual Zenmuse:

DJI Zenmuse Gimbal is a milestone gimbal system which is developed for professional filming, aerial photography for commercial use. Even if aircrafts are in a fast-speed flight, it can still stabilize and control the camera equipment precisely with highest stability. The precision of control angle is within the range of ±0.05°, so picture or video output can reach the best effect.

....and what was the reality: a very good, but highly unreliable product. But now everything will be goooooood....:highly_amused:

What I wanna read is: This product works and is doing exactly what we are saying, everytime you switch it on....if not, you get your money back

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Doesent one of you have a friend at maxon. All one would have to do is ask them what the difference it between the zenmuse and the zenmuse evo, which motors are used now in the evo and encoders and if there is really a 3x more stableness in it :)

Boris