FPV'ers are obtaining HAM licenses?

Cra-Z-1

So I have a friend that flies with me on weekends quite regularly, that has seen what my quad can do with aerial video, and has since gotten interested in getting a setup(we are a bunch of heli guys). He has been asking around online about what he would need to get started, and somewhere along the lines, someone told him, that to be legal in this, he would need to obtain a HAM operators license.

I have done alot of reading up on things as of late, and I haven't noticed by what I've been reading, that everybody is rushing out to get their HAM licenses. What are the rules governing this exactly? Do most people really do this?

Basically, you need a HAM license in order to legally operate in the U.S. on the frequency bands and transmission power used by many FPV rigs or long-range (UHF) transmitters.

Most of the stuff that you need to study for the HAM license is, unfortunately, not at all relevant to RC-Aircraft/FPV. It's just a hoop that you need to jump through in order to be legal.

But, hey...it's an easy test and it's always nice to find new geeky hobbies. :)

Basically, you need a HAM license in order to legally operate in the U.S. on the frequency bands and transmission power used by many FPV rigs or long-range (UHF) transmitters.

Most of the stuff that you need to study for the HAM license is, unfortunately, not at all relevant to RC-Aircraft/FPV. It's just a hoop that you need to jump through in order to be legal.

But, hey...it's an easy test and it's always nice to find new geeky hobbies. :)

To add to Jareth's keen comment, I found it to be extremely interesting to go through the process of study. It helps to know about radio when you're using radio frequency (RF) to both control your craft and Transmit/Receive video via the airwaves. A document with all the questions you would find in the test is available for download. Read it, memorize, and learn. Then take the multiple-choice test. There are a few places online where you can get the practice test. The actual test is given once a month. Search your local ARRL and look for the "Technician" class license. Hey I have my own "call sign" now, cool stuff.
Here's the link for the study guide.

http://w5ac.tamu.edu/download/Element2_Study_Guide.pdf

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cra-Z-1

Thank you Very much for that info, Jareth and fj. I am working on planting the "aerial" seed in some of my Real Estate and ATV friends that own their own businesses and if it takes off, I'm going to need to be legal.

The major benefits of HAM radio license are the broader range of frequencies and transmitter power/range that are allowed:
RC Pilot flying 1/4 and 1/3 scale used to opt for special RC radios in one or more of the HAM radio bands for safety reasons due to longer range and less RFI (less traffic)
I might use mine at some point for FPV but to date I have only used it for high power rocket radio beacon tracking which is now available c/w GPS live downlinks.... a previous hobby that got put on the back burner because of Multirotors!!!
NOTE: In the event of natural catastrophe, insurrection, war etc. the rights to HAM radio bands usages revert back to the Armed forces and Emergency measures organizational use only.
And the HAM Amateur radio band benefits of less RFI gets lost if everyone jumps on board.
If you decide to go for it... good on you..... its a challenge!

VE6GLT

kloner

Aerial DP
in the US you can fly the 2.4 radios and under 25mw video transmitter without a license, everything else requires a technichian cert.....

you study online, cost a few bucks to take the course, usually at local ham clubs

Cra-Z-1

If you decide to go for it... good on you..... its a challenge!

VE6GLT

For sure! From the bits and pieces I've seen about it, it is quite a science. Just learning about these little Cloverleaf Omnis, planars, and Panel directional antennas have been quite a challenge for me. Cool stuff though!

Cra-Z-1

in the US you can fly the 2.4 radios and under 25mw video transmitter without a license, everything else requires a technichian cert.....

you study online, cost a few bucks to take the course, usually at local ham clubs

Hey Steve!

Long time no hear. I see you have been doing very well. Congrats!

.....and 25 mW doesn't seem like much. I haven't even seen a Tx with an output that low for FPV.

I wouldn't mind asking you a couple more simple questions, since you are in the know on this kind of thing.

Cra-Z-1

WOW! 14K and only 25 mW....that is incredible. I will spend some time reading that thread and learn up some on it. Thank you for the links. Much appreciated.

Sooo....say you were starting out commericially a small gig...hypothetically speaking would you go 25 mW and "BE LEGAL"...."not worry about it and run whatever like it kinda seems alot of people do", or get a HAM license, a High Watter and "Run Dirty", lol...is that an appropriate term? Hell, I'd be happy as a pig in $hit just getting out to 1.5K. No reason to try any further really, as somewhere in there the 2.4 falls out anyway, right?

Cra-Z-1

That DISH is really cool; and CHEAP! Its a bit big for my monitor I think. Your making me wish I was running immersion hardware. Maybe there is something comparable @ 25 mW that is compatible with my Rx setup. I've seen alot of mixed results from people mixing Immersion and Boscam together...mostly negative.

I need to brush up on my terminology after reading some of that thread.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
See photo below...... HAM Handheld used to gather the rocket nosecone beacon GPS location.

Also here is where I took my course.... thought it would take 2 or 3 days..... try 2 to 3 months!!!
http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/
View attachment 17555

For sure! From the bits and pieces I've seen about it, it is quite a science. Just learning about these little Cloverleaf Omnis, planars, and Panel directional antennas have been quite a challenge for me. Cool stuff though!

Attachments

• NC-GPS.jpg
    NC-GPS.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 346

Cra-Z-1

See photo below...... HAM Handheld used to gather the rocket nosecone beacon GPS location.

thought it would take 2 or 3 days..... try 2 to 3 months!!!

Looks neat! Can you better explain what your doing there? Not sure I am understanding.

YIKES on the 2 to 3 months scenario. Looks like my interest may sway to what Kloner is showing me. I hope that is doable for someone like me that is new to this stuff.
I don't have knowledge of analyzers, testing and such.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
The course can be as short as 2 to 3 weeks (2 night per week in your local area).

GPS rocket beacon is: http://www.bigredbee.com/BeeLineGPS.htm (70 cm is in the 400 Mhz HAM radio frequency band)
My handheld HAM radio c/w GPS tracking via APRS: see attached photo....View attachment 17556
Here is what one of my high altitude rocket flight looks like after the GPS kml file is loaded in to Google Earth..... same can be done with Multirotors..... now lets get back to Multirotors!!!
View attachment 17557

Looks neat! Can you better explain what your doing there? Not sure I am understanding.

YIKES on the 2 to 3 months scenario. Looks like my interest may sway to what Kloner is showing me. I hope that is doable for someone like me that is new to this stuff.
I don't have knowledge of analyzers, testing and such.

Attachments

• Yaesu_VX-8GE.jpg
    Yaesu_VX-8GE.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 356
  • Twilight-Silvertip.jpg
    Twilight-Silvertip.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 192

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
WOW! 14K and only 25 mW....that is incredible. I will spend some time reading that thread and learn up some on it. Thank you for the links. Much appreciated.

Sooo....say you were starting out commericially a small gig...hypothetically speaking would you go 25 mW and "BE LEGAL"...."not worry about it and run whatever like it kinda seems alot of people do", or get a HAM license, a High Watter and "Run Dirty", lol...is that an appropriate term? Hell, I'd be happy as a pig in $hit just getting out to 1.5K. No reason to try any further really, as somewhere in there the 2.4 falls out anyway, right?

Technically you can't use it at all for a commercial gig, HAM licensing is for non commercial use, the license would only be valid for your own FPV or hobby APV flying. I've gotten out to a mile with no packet loss using 2.4 on control, you can do it with legal gear if you get the right equipment and set it up right. I highly recommend FRSky telemetry TX and RX whether you just stick the TX module in a Futaba radio or get an FRSky Taranis, either way can do far longer range than any other 2.4 control gear I've used.

As far as 5.8 video TX goes, doesn't matter what the power rating is, if it doesn't have an FCC part 15 ID number on it you need a HAM license to operate it, and I have yet to see any FPV gear that does have an FCC ID. FRSky on the other hand has all of it's gear labeled with the appropriate labels and ID numbers, but that's only on the control side.

Ken

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Very good info RTRyder...
The FCC ID part 15 ID is a good thing to have even outside US territory. With respect to regulations... only by means of international agreements does one country's regulations such as US based FCC get adopted or have influence beyond territorial boundaries such as the following: http://transition.fcc.gov/ib/sand/agree/

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
The FCC ID part 15 ID is a good thing to have even outside US territory. With respect to regulations... only by means of international agreements does one country's regulations such as US based FCC get adopted or have influence beyond territorial boundaries such as the following: http://transition.fcc.gov/ib/sand/agree/

In some respects we're lucky here in the USA since we aren't limited to 25mW or other restrictive regulation provided you have the proper paperwork which really isn't all that hard to obtain, some countries have banned FPV in total. There is a lot of misinformation out there and if/when it gets repeated enough it tends to become accepted as fact. This is one of those areas where you really need to know what your local rules and regulations are as well as what they are in any other country or territory you may travel to with the equipment. A little research and fact checking up front can save a lot of headache and hassle later, having your gear confiscated or worse yet spending a night or two in a foreign jail cell is not my idea of a good time.

Ken

Cra-Z-1

Yes, all very good information.

Thank you for sharing it. Really then either 25mW or bust for commercial FPV?

I"m thinking MOST transmitters out there are prob running well over 25 mW. It seems most people that I have seen and read about online are using the Immersion 600 Watters.

One question that keeps coming to mind is; If I was to go and make the effort to get a HAM registration, even on a personal level, to what extent can that really help me with FPV? What cases would using that course benefit me or others in the case of where I'm flying? Its not like I'm trying to fling a signal over to Australia. Would I even know anything of value in the FPV application afterward? Would it influence any decision I make in regards to where I fly? Barring common sense that is like flying around airports, etc.

Cra-Z-1

In some respects we're lucky here in the USA since we aren't limited to 25mW or other restrictive regulation provided you have the proper paperwork which really isn't all that hard to obtain, some countries have banned FPV in total.
Ken

It does make me wonder what is on the horizon though, with these things becoming ever more popular. I can only hope that the majority of people will use common sense. It seems like everyone already lives in fear of (even just the word) "Drones", thanks to our media. The more I fly, the more and more endless possibilities I see with this technology. It would be too bad if certain aspects were to get banned altogether. The cats out of the bag for the most part.

kloner

Aerial DP
for professional work most "real" companies are switching over to digital systems like terradeck, lightbridge, etc.....