FPV Setup - DJI 550

myaces

Recently built a DJI 550 with the H3-2D Gimbal using a gopro Hero 3+ and looking to add FPV. I've been doing a lot of research on the forums but that's almost complicating my decision. :)

My first question is whether I should get goggles or go with a ground station, I'm thinking it might be more comfortable to start with a groundstation and eventually go with goggles.

The next is the setup and I'm leaning towards the DJI 5.8 downlink with an iOSD. Seems like that's pretty plug and play since I'm already running DJI equipment.

myaces

Getting closer but I'd love to hear some feedback...

I think I've narrowed the camera down to the Sony 600 TVL and going with the 12.1 display from Ready Made RC.

cootertwo

If you don't want to spend a chit load of $$$, find some goggles to look through, screens to look at, (outside in the light). I started with some Skyzone goggles. Was disappointed, so bought some Fatshark Attitudes. Better in my opinion. I have 3 different TX's I've tried. So far, best with Immersion 600mw TX, powered by it's own battery. Using one of the many, many 600TVL cameras. Used my Gopro 3 black as the FPV camera for awhile. Works, and can take video while sending live video to the TX. The 600TVL's are lighter. I mounted one to the battery door of my Phantom, TX mounted on the bottom, 3 cell 450 mah battery strapped to the skids. Having a blast flying around my 1 acre and about 40 trees! Yesterday, while sitting in my back yard, behind my mobile home, actually flew around the trailer, to the front yard, around and back. A little bit of interference, but never lost signal. This stuff gets expensive in a hurry, especially if you have to buy something, to try it.:)

kloner

Aerial DP
a monitor will make you learn faster. i like the 8" best, super clear, can see well, big enough without being too big. above that there are regular hd monitors 16" on up that run on 12v and are cheap for the size. problem is over 8" to my eyes gets blurry. i wouldn't waste money on a monitor bigger than that. i'm around friends with the 12" and they don't have the rapid contrast adjustment like the 8" does, i use that all the time as sun rises and sets.

With a real iosd you can view the zen and the flight cam with the flick of a switch. the iosd nav makes a new fpv pilot comftorable showing where home is and the voltage.

for video transmission..... you won't have alot of options using a sat nav system and 2.4 for rc control, only bands left are 900 or 5.8..... immersion is the known leader, works great, get a 5.8 uno receiver and a set of "ULTRA BLUEBEAMS" for it, you'll be glad you did. the sony 600 tvl is alright.... nice mid day but not my favorite for dawn dusk, that i like the securitycam2000 pz0513

myaces

My setup is working but I've got a small problem with the gopro live output. It's working when I connect the OSD to the zenmuse but once I add the second camera I'm going to need to use the cable direct to the gopro USB output. I've been unable to get that working so far and based on the other posts I've read the gopro here 3+ needs a 100 ohm resistor? Any recommendations on a cable for that and is anyone charging their gopro through receiver power?

myaces

I just realized that I can and should use the cord coming from the zenmuse for video channel 1, that way I don't need to have a separate cable going to the gopro. Looks like I'm finally ready to field test my FPV setup, just need some decent weather.

Accupro

Kloner what 8" monitor do you recommend for outside viewing? I can go with 115V no problem with my rig but seems most for the outside glare would be 12V? What should I expect to pay?

kloner

Aerial DP
each size seems to be a specific brand or style that is the same everywhere. in otherwords all the 10" fpv specific monitors are the same exact thing with different labels. since the quick painless companies to get this stuff from are getfpv and readymade, i'd start there. My favorite size in particular with how you can hit the down arrow key at anytime and it cycles through 5 preset brightness settings it makes it so when you realize it's dark or light, it's a few ticks to seeing perfect. the 7" did it too, i know for a fact none of the 10" do it, you have to nav into a window to get to bright, contrast, etc. sucks.

An uno/lawmate and monitor is around $150. those two places ship free over $100 and no tax unless you live with em so that's it. I got three yesterday to rig out and sell. i open them up and ditch all that crappy wire connectors they give you and put a 3.5mm stereo or mono av wire straight to the monitors pcb that plugs straight into the vrx. Also drop one deans on a wire and parallel them on the pcb so there is minimal wiring, like this
20140115063908-6a45d07b-la.jpg

20140115063857-7ffd5a91-la.jpg

the 10" have a vga connector and a pigtail of wires coming off it, i cut out all the crap and again, install the 3.5mm plugs, this one has two inputs so you could hang two frequencies of vrx on back and switch from input on the monitor, might be nice for a 1 man operating a 2 man rig,, but i personaly hate that 10",,, jut starts to degrade picture quality after 8", i can pick out people, cars, etc alot better on my 8" than any others and i can have any of them.
20140115064241-00ce9920-la.jpg

my very first setup was a 22" monitor that had 12v and sd inputs, it was blurry and a pain to mange, later i did a 16" same brand and it was alright, turned into our directors station cause with immersion video link and a nice camera, it is clear, looks hd with static from time to time. The brand is Naxa, there less than $200 for the big one, think the 16" was $120, amazon.com. the 16" fit a pelican clone case that was $40 in the lid, batteries and rx are under a board in the case... i changed my gallery and don't have any pics of it to share, that's a first... hahaha

adanac

I have very similar questions as I would like to fly an F550 with my GoPro. I already own some currently un-committed FPV items that include IRC 600mW VTX, mini iOSD, Fatshark Dominators with 5.8Ghz patch.

1) Can I use these components on the F550 and, if so, what other components are required?
2) Can I get my FPV image out of the GoPro so I can see my shot?
3) How are the FPV stuff and GoPro powered? On my P2 it all comes from the P2's power system.

I don't need to know exact build stuff, but rather seek reassurance that if I buy an F550 adding FPV isn't a major cluster-whoops. I'm tired of buying things, like my recent P2, only to find out it won't do the job.

cootertwo

I think it depends on what type of FPV you intend on doing. Open field, or obstacles. I setup FPV on one of my older Phantoms, and have a blast flying around my acre, dogging all the trees, etc. sort of slow motion, but I have fun. Others, on the tube, fly fast and furious, but those are usually smaller quads, with stretched chassis. I only dream of being to fly like some of those guys. I did try FPV on my 550 hex, and didn't like it at all. Seemed to big and slow, easy to wander into a bush or tree, sort of "lumbering" along, if you know what I mean.:)

adanac

Forgive me because I'm not clear on this. The way I want to fly affect the three questions I've asked? I'm not sure I understand. :)

I think it depends on what type of FPV you intend on doing. Open field, or obstacles. I setup FPV on one of my older Phantoms, and have a blast flying around my acre, dogging all the trees, etc. sort of slow motion, but I have fun. Others, on the tube, fly fast and furious, but those are usually smaller quads, with stretched chassis. I only dream of being to fly like some of those guys. I did try FPV on my 550 hex, and didn't like it at all. Seemed to big and slow, easy to wander into a bush or tree, sort of "lumbering" along, if you know what I mean.:)

Accupro

I have very similar questions as I would like to fly an F550 with my GoPro. I already own some currently un-committed FPV items that include IRC 600mW VTX, mini iOSD, Fatshark Dominators with 5.8Ghz patch.

1) Can I use these components on the F550 and, if so, what other components are required?
3) How are the FPV stuff and GoPro powered? On my P2 it all comes from the P2's power system.

I don't need to know exact build stuff, but rather seek reassurance that if I buy an F550 adding FPV isn't a major cluster-whoops. I'm tired of buying things, like my recent P2, only to find out it won't do the job.

I'm thinking cootertwo is thinking that FPV is using goggles!

Anyway I think if you look around and do some searching you will find many many different setups for FPV on the F550 so you are not plowing any new ground here. I have seen where some have used separate batteries to power the GoPro and the FPV transmitter, but in other cases not. Depends on all kinds of variables relative to weight and the desired flight time, but yes you can do either or. The GoPro does have a video out that would connect to the FPV transmitter on the bird, typically 5.8, but any frequency will work assuming the correct TX/RX.

adanac

Great to know. I figured I wasn't asking anything new but wanted to make sure.

I'm thinking cootertwo is thinking that FPV is using goggles!

Anyway I think if you look around and do some searching you will find many many different setups for FPV on the F550 so you are not plowing any new ground here. I have seen where some have used separate batteries to power the GoPro and the FPV transmitter, but in other cases not. Depends on all kinds of variables relative to weight and the desired flight time, but yes you can do either or. The GoPro does have a video out that would connect to the FPV transmitter on the bird, typically 5.8, but any frequency will work assuming the correct TX/RX.

JereBear

Can u be more specific re: "won't do the job"? I'm thinking about a Phantom 2 & FPV or the F550. Cheers

adanac

I'm trying to determine which does better in wind. I have built the F550 but haven't yet put a gimbal on it.

Accupro

I have the F550 w/gimbal & GoPro and just thinking intuitively the F550 is going to do better in the wind then the others as; #1 is a hex-copter, and #2 it weighs more and has a higher payload and thus a more stable platform, especially with the GPS option!

adanac

I hope so. So far my Phantom 2 and Discovery Pro are basically useless for shooting stable video in the wind. If the F550 doesn't do any better I will have wasted a lot of time and money.

If you have the F550, does it shoot stable video in wind? Does it yaw uncontrollably like everything smaller than it does?

I have the F550 w/gimbal & GoPro and just thinking intuitively the F550 is going to do better in the wind then the others as; #1 is a hex-copter, and #2 it weighs more and has a higher payload and thus a more stable platform, especially with the GPS option!

Accupro

Mine is steady with the 2 axis gimbal, but also depends on the amount of wind. I would say mine is fine in winds up to say 10 miles an hour.