FPV Racing

Taking performance flying to the next step . . . flying a predefined course and timing some hot laps.

Last edited by a moderator:

i love it. what quad are planning running? tbs has a new one coming looks good and the qav 250 mini looks like it would rock too

I fly a Flip260 that handles 6" blades without cutting into the frame. The original qav unfortunately only handles 5" blades and doesn't have an upper frame that is equal to the bottom to add protection the fpv cam.

I just got a nice 250 frame from myrcmart that has the above features for $25 shipped. I think $100+ frames will start seeing their numbers shrink as there are plenty of affordable setups.

TBS always does a nice job of innovating, but at $600, I will pass. Affordable 250 deals can be had with controller for $160 now.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/FPVRC/permalink/560590470734302/

Plus we crash a lot. A hex just means more blades to replace.

We fly to a spec so the emphasis is on pilot skills not equipment. Our spec is 2300kv / 3s / hqprop 5x4.5 GF.

Here is my setup.

Usually we release a new vid every other Friday, but today is Bonus Race Day Friday.

The Race Professor explains the different types of slalom sets.

do you run any flight rx booster or will a stock JR/Futaba radio be ok racing through the woods?
The issue isn't with radio tx, it will be with the video RX. We had several newcomers over the last two weekends. Most had some issue with video due to not having diversity. So now I have learned to design course sets that are closer.

So, if you haven't bought goggles yet THE most important feature is built in diversity. I have it with my skyzones and don't have any issues. Everyone who owns fatsharks have reception issues even with their expensive IBC antennas.

well just ordered the skyzones, Just need to pick out an OSD and helical antenna and im good. any recommendations in this department? Seems the TBS core25 is super popular but not sure what would be needed to hook it into the skyzone vtx . Really excited to do this. THanks Diviner Gregg

That is a nice vid.

Last weekend a guy raced with us the first time. He flew a blackout mini hex and he was very good. But a hex has 50% more props so crashes cost more. The quad guys killed 5 blades, he killed 17. With a complex tree course with slaloms, duck unders and thread the needles, you crash a lot, especially if you push hard.

We run a spec class of quad/3s/2300kv/5" blades which creates a level playing field. If you are not running equivalent equipment, then it really isn't racing. Imagine a top fuel dragster vs go carts. Not much fun for anyone.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
That is a nice vid.

Last weekend a guy raced with us the first time. He flew a blackout mini hex and he was very good. But a hex has 50% more props so crashes cost more. The quad guys killed 5 blades, he killed 17. With a complex tree course with slaloms, duck unders and thread the needles, you crash a lot, especially if you push hard.

We run a spec class of quad/3s/2300kv/5" blades which creates a level playing field. If you are not running equivalent equipment, then it really isn't racing. Imagine a top fuel dragster vs go carts. Not much fun for anyone.

what is the cheap go-to frame for beginners that also meets specs?

Is this going to go through AMA? Did you make a schedule for races? Do you have written rules or guidelines? I am thinking of starting my own Race circuit here in NE Ohio. I have 4 tracks set up and are in a great location to test skills and ability of the pilot and even an obstical course. But i do NOT want to be liable if leave the safety zone and cause damage. what precautions have you taken?

Is this going to go through AMA? Did you make a schedule for races? Do you have written rules or guidelines? I am thinking of starting my own Race circuit here in NE Ohio. I have 4 tracks set up and are in a great location to test skills and ability of the pilot and even an obstical course. But i do NOT want to be liable if leave the safety zone and cause damage. what precautions have you taken?

Definitely will have nothing to do with ama. I will serve as the Race Steward. Rules are simple but fluid. See next post for links.

I am not worried about liability. It's just a bunch of guys getting together and flying. The locations I chose are not parks. Rarely are there people around but the areas are maintained. I do prune a bunch however (but don't send my landscaping bill to them :nevreness:).

New video every other week. This is a bonus week.:nevreness:

Next year's race events have been setup.

http://www.meetup.com/Chicago-fpv

We have defined 2 classes, one with a spec and an open class.

http://www.meetup.com/Chicago-fpv/events/208617632/

Each event will have two point earning races; a longer, more technical rotorcross course and a less technical, faster blade-to-blade course.

attachment.php

In this video, I was experimenting with just how much LESS technical a blade-to-blade designed course should be? We want to keep the pendulum always shifted more towards piloting skill vs equipment. You do that with more turns, sharper turns, more obstacles and tighter constraints, But racers still want the speed sensation. Where is balance? This setup has an obstacle every 6 seconds. Judge for yourself if this course is still too technical for blade-to-blade.

Attachments

• 600_418864852.jpg
    600_418864852.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 279

im gonna use a Juan Diago from 2dogrc they are like 45$, im gonna use 1806 motor but the 2204's seem bit faster. 12a esc's

The thrust tests have the 1806's on par with the 2204's. In fact the dys 1806 has more thrust than the second generation SS 2204. I am glad I did follow the SS heard on that decision.