fpv frame for 11" propellers

Jessestr

Hi there

TBS on 10" with 2814 710KV motors on 4S is just way too slow for me. I need a good FPV frame that can spin up to 11" or bigger maaaaaybe 12".. And has lots of mounting space..
Please anyone? I'm out of guesses :( I tried everything!

kloner

Aerial DP
i do, that's 11's and it has 12 3/8 across the shortest span......... open source, got a machine shop nearby? i think the qav500 has room for 11's don't it?

Attachments

• IMG_2186.jpeg
    IMG_2186.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 249
Last edited by a moderator:

Jessestr

i do, that's 11's and it has 12 3/8 across the shortest span......... open source, got a machine shop nearby? i think the qas500 has room for 11's don't it?

Hi

Very nice.. With a paint job even better. Only worried about power distribution.

Just got answer on FPVlabs about the 11" on QAV:

Yes, but they might hit your FPV camera or GoPro camera, depending on your setup on the front camera shelf. So you might just have to re-arrange some things.

Not a good thing.. Might have to remount the things. Why do they all make the frames so tight fit..

To your frame again.. Will there be any upcoming improvements, updates or commercial sale?

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, this batch was tan, last batch was black.... i can get ya one,,,,,, were using aftermarket power distro like things were not that long ago

http://rchelicollective.com/zen/kloner/DJIf450quad/fpv450/

it is pretty much designed to carry a nex camera but the front shelf could be trimmed down if a guy wanted. we can change the arms to anyplace, but theres something about this ones layout that gives it mileage and i want to look it over more to see what mistake did that.... hahaha

the frames are just made for higher kv motors. the smaller props are better for forward flight especially in wind. My disco does 60mph, my zII only does 75-78 $90 motor set, hahaha...... 8" props for 8.95 a pop.... works for me

Jessestr

Hahah, seems nice. If I can do anything for the frame let me know. I can design everything in 3D high detail (or in the real terms high poly modelling)

What flight times did you get again with your Disco?

I'm getting the QAV500 anyways but it seems fun to help on this new project.. And what are you saying about high speed? I tested my F450 fully charged 4S lipo with 11" on my 2814-11 710KV motors and really at 50% throttle (Tested it before with almost empty lipo).. The thing was INSANE fast. It was already crazy fast but I had to quit at 50% or I'd lost it in visual contact after 4 seconds.

In the meantime I start fpv'ing with the QAV500 .. I can help on this project if you want? Any new pictures of the power distro?
Oh just a sidenote.. I tested my FPV setup with TBS Core (always with 3S battery) then today attached it to my 4S and it didn't work anymore it just gets extremely hot (you could really burn yourself on it) and it doesn't even show the led... Any ideas for an OSD for voltage viewing that can handle 4S? CORE should handle 2S-10S well it didn't.. :(

kloner

Aerial DP
i'd ask trappy about the 4s issue you have, They are kinda hot but it totally works. I've had more problems with my 3s one overheating. there so small and compact it is super easy to short a pin

It's just a cad file now, anybody is welcome to have one cut, no royalties. here there like $60-$70 for one at a time, $50 if you get a few. The last one had an f450 bottom plate that was ground down where the legs stick out and was just glued to the base, it is the same shape there so it's pretty seamless. it mounts your naza up on that and gives it a ton of stifness.

were not really messing with imagination or concept, just real world flying and small changes. My disco flies 5 minutes, this thing flies 8-9 safely. I don't know why. my assumption is one of two things, the angle i have the motors sitting in a horizontal plane or the stifness of the frame is alot more efficient than i think. It is a little thicker than a f450 plate, .90 is best, but i have a .63 here to test that theory against another being built now, the one pictured.

hjls3

Just for giggles - photos sake - those are 12" on rear and 11" up front - 12's seem doable, not sure if it would make sense but i guess you dont know until you try - well Kloner might know :)

View attachment 6312View attachment 6313

Hi there

TBS on 10" with 2814 710KV motors on 4S is just way too slow for me. I need a good FPV frame that can spin up to 11" or bigger maaaaaybe 12".. And has lots of mounting space..
Please anyone? I'm out of guesses :( I tried everything!

Attachments

• IMG_6398.jpg
    IMG_6398.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_6399.jpg
    IMG_6399.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 200

kloner

Aerial DP
it'll work,,, the back is gonna have some dirty prop wash goin on but it'd fly. not sure what it'd perform or handle like. I had 9" on a 330 and they almost touched, 1/4" between em but it flew bitchen. What looks good on paper is a whole different deal in the real world. This frame eats wind and spits it out. Alot less pitchy than the tbs, it's alot longer, little narrower in the rear. My main deal with this is to find a sweet spot for motors/cg to sit on a fpv quad.

kloner

Aerial DP
I've been measuring this thing out for a bit and i guess i see whats different, it has dihedral if you will, a slight inward angle towards the center, like .5 to 1 degree ish.........

dunno why that'd do anything but it is

Jessestr

Wow 5 minutes is nothing. And would stiffness affect flight time that much? I got 20 minutes on 11" 3300mah 4s with my 2814-11 710kv on a f450 (1.4kg) in manual...

I like the big props, they give good flying times on my lower kv motor..

Nice plans and things about the frame, i'd like to change some esthetic things about the frame. Like rounded corners etc, should look better and would hurt that much when hitting it.

kloner

Aerial DP
the only problem i see with your plan is Ken tried this and saw the same thing the disco did in forward flight,,,, it has that high speed oscilation thing the disco does with 100kv and 9" props. he run the 650kv on 4s and not sure on the size, but big prop. My disco is 1900g without a gimble rtf and 2200g with gimble, 2600g with a gimble and 8000 mah. apples and oranges to what your talking about,,,,, and now i want to carry an 360 gram camera

When i say 5 minutes vs 8-9 minutes is figures from forward flight. Hovering the disco uses 20 amps, fast forward flight it'll pull 100amp in manual, 70 amp in atti and 60 amp in atti gps. The discovery will hover like 12 minutes easy,,,,,,, The kloners hovers at 15 amps and honestly the highest draw i've logged was 38 amps full forward flight in atti and one time i saw 60 amps in manual...... But i only had the thing for 3 weeks and somebody bought it so i wanted to revisit the project

this is the pdf of the frame... it is vector and unlocked
http://rchelicollective.com/zen/kloner/OS450/kloners450v2.pdf.php

theres still a couple lumps and bumps in there and the front platform can be made into anything. After i go study mine a little harder, it'll be getting a tilt gimble and will fly my nex-5. Perfect little real estate picture rig. Easy to carry, can use it from my boat, etc. Plan on specializing in them river houses. There are several little blocks of vacation homes all along the river from Lake Havasu to Mexico,,,,,, I can boat from Parker down to Imperial Dam. When the housing market came apart, the prices on them places never changed a bit. The lots are worth 500-600k with nothing on them, still today. the bigger houses down towards the end of where i fly down to when you see them are 2-6million. 6,000 sq ft, 10 bed 6 bath, like that. Up on my end are the old fishing shacks from the 40's, they are worth 700-900k and are literaly shacks. When they try to sell em, that's the kinda places that'll pay for it. The fronts of these houses is pointed towards the water, makes getting a picture hard for the average bear

Jessestr

Yes. Decided to get rid of the 2814-11 tiger motors and get those FM-4008 on a QAV500.. (Well thinking about it) OR do you have other suggestions for me?

And the 20 minutes was in aggressive flying. Full forward and than pull back so it stands vertically up and makes the awesome sound with the propellers hehe. Can't do loops or flips haha.
Well I tried but it ended up in bended aluminium arms (warthox sport frame)

Thanks for the PDF. Will get my hands on. It looks like the TBS but that doesn't really matter. The overal design is ok but I guess everyone's taste is different so might do some design changes to the up and bottom plates (the holes in different ways). The big open holes concern me of mounting things and also airflow.

Maybe you can make the frontplates separate for cameras and ofcourse design it in a way so it get's attached by a vibration dampening system.
And I really lik the Discovery because of it's size. It's like so small you can attach it to a backpack and fly where you are but it's way too heavy I think..

Nice potential place to get some real estate pictures :D

kloner

Aerial DP
as far as i know thats the only motors that work on it. Go read the posts on this thing from rtryder

aggressive flight or not, that's still a hover unless you got some logs. I push forward on my stick, get this thing 45 degrees in the sky and don't let up for minutes/miles, to me thats fff. anything los is considered hovering.... i can go outside and fly los for 10 minutes in my disco........it's when you start to fpv (what there made for) that you start to see draws like that. Sustained 60 mph forward flight. Disco is super touchy, almost pitchy from it's motor layout, ie where in relation to cg it sits. this one is super doscile

these were take side by side, same day/conditions/place except disco has the 2810 and the k450 had the 2814. the k450 was on 2.4 rc and the disco 433

theres areas in there where ground contact felt iminent and i'd let up on the stick,,,, disco flares up hard, k450 barely moves......... you can see the difference

Jessestr

It looks like the K450 is more smooth than the TBS. You can clearly see it at the beginning.. TBS noses wobbles up and down right?

Look it's my first frame contribute something too so I don't know what will affect the flight characters. I like design and simplicity together and it should work too hehe; Like the F450. So simple, yet so good. 6 screws for an arm.. You don't have to unscrew all arms to get under the hood. I love the idea.

Now here's what I've changed. The camera thing in the front I made the little bit a bit wider so on a crash it won't break off due to the weight of the camera. I've noticed that it's not that stiff on the TBS.
And I changed the overal holes in the frame. Might add a little weight but less air will get it + more moutning space and covering for electronics. The 3 things in the middle is also used on the F450 frame.. Easy to attach a GPS to.
And I made the sides smoother to the battery bay (I eddited only the left one). So it looks more elegant.

It's just an idea so it isn't correct in proportions yet.

5055db35ae252-kloner_edit.jpg