FPV Displays - Using A Laptop

kloner

Aerial DP
i did, i did, thought i was gonna kick this fpv things butt, was my earlier purchases till i realized it's a few seconds behind, likes to crash while your going, it's fine to capture your flights, but a sd dvr for $69 works great, easy to bring along. It never fails my friends capturing there flights on a pc yell, dam pc just rebooted, or dam it crashed the recording.....

mine is the one Ready Made sells, little different but that's the basic problem with what your looking at.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I've got one like that. Yes, there is some lag, I don't think it's "a few seconds", maybe a few 10th's of a second. Just like an IP Webcam for FPV, it's enough that it can be a real problem if you're flying manually in FPV.

However, if you're using a good stabilization system, and just doing easy flights, where a few 10th's of a second aren't critical, then it can work. eg: it would be fine to use for framing shots when doing AP. Or if you're using a UAV at high altitude and just using video to get a sense of where you are, etc.

kloner

Aerial DP
to me and through my experience, i'd consider it an unsafe practice. It'd be similar to the science behind why you shouldn't drive drunk...... the whole delayed response thing

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Sure, that's why I said, if you're doing real FPV, it's not great. But with a good flight controller, and if you're far away from your subjects, it's fine. I have actually flown like this, and didn't even notice the lag until somebody else mentioned it. Heck, when I'm flying the ground station, the HUD is delayed through the telemetry anyway.

It's almost like flying full-size with IFR vs. VFR. Either can work, but obviously IFR is harder, and takes more training.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I tried somehting like that way back when I was first getting into FPV. Thing I found was the laptop has to be something more than a Netbook with an Atom processor for it to be of any use to actually fly with. A fast multi-core processor with a lot of ram and the best graphics capability possible work a lot better but unless you already have something like that kicking around it's a lot cheaper to just get a good FPV monitor and a digital DVR to record to than to buy a laptop with the needed specs. A fairly new gaming laptop would probably work acceptably well but is still no substitute for the lowest latency video link you can get and video capture through a laptop isn't it.

Ken

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I agree. I have a pretty good Sony F-series laptop (I7 processor, dedicated graphics, matte screen) that I use for my ground control station. It was $1400, but the image isn't as viewable as it is on my $80 Foxtech 7" monitor. And the viewability of this thing is better than most, so most laptops would be even worse. So if you're just doing some thing simple, this is a no-brainer.

I'm only saying that these capture cards do work for specific applications.