foldable X8 with 18" props

nicwilke

If you fly in moderate forward flight (10-20km/h), the amps-draw is even lower that at hovering. Of course if you push (30-50k m/h) your battery will be empty sooner. I have not done a "long-flight-time" video with this copter (but I will do). I would claim my math to be pretty accurate (as the parameters are matched from real in-flight data).

best regards

Ferdinand

You certainly found a perfect combo.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

FerdinandK

Today I build up my second frame:

Here a timelapse:

best regards
Ferdinand

Last edited by a moderator:

FerdinandK

Here a flight video with 2kg payload:

Motors: Tunergy Multistar 4225 610KV
Props: Graupner 14x8
ESCs: Hobbywing Platinum 40A
Frame Klappfixx V2.0
FC Naza V2
Batteries: 3x4S11000 maxamps.com
Payload 2.0kg
AUW 7575gr
Flighttime: 24min mixed flight (hard climbs, full forward, hovering)

best regards
Ferdinand

SMP

Hey Ferdinand, looking great!! My frame ended up missing me in the States by days, so having it sent over to the Middle East. Looks like you've got the build down to a science. Quick question, did you end up shortening the screws Tobias mentioned in step 1 or 2 (cant recall) and if so did you grind or use a M3 cutter. Don't have a dremel or a cutter over here so every tool I need I have to special order.

Great build video mate!

FerdinandK

I have quite a number of screws, so I just took some that fit. But it should be no problem to shorten them via a Dremel, or better this , possibly you also could take a washer.

best regards
Ferdinand

SMP

As I recall your first build went 300KV ish w 15" props and I see youve got your second in the 600KV range with 14" Graupners. Are you planning similar payloads for both?? Any impressions as to which combo you like better now?

FerdinandK

The first build was with Tigers 340KV 130gr and 18" props, which is now in use on a different (non-foldable) X8 with Zenmuse and gives 25min flighttime there (6,5kg AUW). It is quite a surprise to me, that this combination with the 14" Graupners is similar in efficiency (7,5kg AUW 2kg payload and 24min flighttime).

Akermay

Hi

This frame looks brilliantly thought out and incredibly well made. We are looking at an X8 for videography. People seem to say they are far more stable and have that lifting power, combine that with folding up its ideal.

Anyway, is it possible to put retractable legs on this? We would want to carry a Zenmuse Z15 or of the likes anyway, would you say its capable in terms of both power and mounting capabilities?

Thanks.

Akermay

You can put retracts on any frame ...

best regards
Ferdinand

Ok, thanks for the quick response Ferdinand.

Is it simple to swap the legs? Are there dedicated mounting points for them?

A video explaining how you mount your electronics and legs etc would be great. Like a walkthrough video. It would definitely help me make a decision.

Mr. T

After watching the time lapse video, all I have to say is:

So..... that's all there is to it?

FerdinandK

@Akermay
If it is simple to mount or not is different from person to person, but this is not a kit, the S800 landing legs with secraft V1 retracts have been "forced" to fit.

If a video would help, who knows, there has been a world before all the "how to ..." videos.

From my point of view, the klappfixx is a great frame, but there is a lot more to do, such that it becomes a great copter.

best regards
Ferdinand

airship

ferdinand your work are really clean and nice ;-)

i have a question for you: i will like to make another x8 but will like to save some bucks on the motors and will like to know your opinion on the last setup you've used

Motors: Tunergy Multistar 4225 610KV
Props: Graupner 14x8
ESCs: Hobbywing Platinum 40A

i will like to use with 2x4000 4s lipo

thanks
peppe

FerdinandK

@airship
I like it.

Here the last flight (at least for some time) of the Klappfixx with the 14" Graupner:
30km/h winds (on average)

best regards
Ferdinand