foldable X8 with 18" props

FerdinandK

Hello,

Wanna show my new X8 with a foldable Frame (really hot stuff)

Motors T-Motors 340KV
Props: foxtech 18x5
ESCs: hobbywing quattro (2x)
Batteries: 2x 4S11000 maxamps
Fc: WKM
Frame: http://www.foxboxx.com/produkte/klappfixx-x8/
AUW: 4180gr
Flighttime: (calculated) >40min
current at hover: 33A (so at 15,5V this gives about 500W)
max current (logged by telemetry 64A)
fits into 23x23x90 cm
m2m is about 107cm

folded:
20130505_153553.jpg

unfolded:
20130505_153706.jpg

As you can see, it is not completely finished yet.

Here the video of the maiden flight:

I would describe the flight characteristics as "rock solid" and very agile, feels a lot smaller during flight.

best regards
Ferdinand

Last edited by a moderator:

FerdinandK

If I would go for 6S I would need motors of 200-240KV with about 100-150gr, which are not easy to find. All of my other setups are now 4S, so I can use the same batteries.
The props are nice, the 17x55 (from foxtech) are with better efficiency, but these are stronger, give more thrust and are better balanced (and centered).

best regards

Ferdinand

SMP

Thats fantastic, do you have any closeups of how the frame fold-down works?? How much was the frame and would you buy it again?? Looks great!!

boranup

Ferdinand, I visited their site but couldnt find any purchase info - are these frames available for purchase?

Thanks

FerdinandK

found the frame here:
http://fpv-community.de/showthread.p...al-zeigen-hier
At this time he (Tobias) was offering 4 frames, the prototype (preassembled, which I got), and three more (which are gone). Now he was asking (on fpv-community.de) if there are some more people interessted, if so, he will start again the milling machine . The price stated on fpv-community.de is 850 (if 4 frames) 800 (if 8 frames), but the best is to write him an e-mail. (I am already on the list for a second).

Here some close-ups of the frame ...
DSC02178.JPG

DSC02179.JPG

DSC02180.JPG

DSC02181.JPG

best regards

Ferdinand

FerdinandK

Did some more flying and testing today:

with 750gr payload (the BL-Gimbal with cam) the current to hover is ca 44A (650Watt)
with 1,5kg payload the current to hover is ca 48A (700 Watt)
with 3,0kg payload the current to hover is ca 66A (950 Watt)
With 4,5kg payload the current to hover is ca84A (1200 Watt)

DSC02195.JPG

Here the Video:

SMP

Ferdinand, as the landing gear is part of the leg assembly is this frame limited to two axis gimbals only? Also how much additional slack did you need for the motor wires to ESC to accommodate the fold??

FerdinandK

If you use the landing legs an a gimbal like a Zenmuse, you would have to change someting to be able to pan 360 (without legs in the view). Tobias (the creator of the frame) is currently creating a 360 gimbal for this copter, but it is not finished yet.

I am not sure to understand your second question, but if it is the wire lenth needed to be able to fold, it is just 1 cm extra in the wires from esc to motors.

best regards

Ferdinand

FerdinandK

Yet another video, this time with some windy conditions, and with the Yun-1 mounted:

20130523_222044.jpg

best regards

Ferdinand

nicwilke

Hey,
Noticed that your ATV is a CFMOTO. I had the opportunity a while back to work with the Australian importer and we tested the whole range. It was the reason for getting into multirotors (ATV AERIALS) That looks like the X6. We made this ad. http://vimeo.com/31480661

Made a nice box for transportation of the X8:

DSC02245.JPG

DSC02247.JPG

best regards

Ferdinand

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

have you done any other testing with large pay loads? It would be interesting to see how much flight time you would get with a gh2 or 5d.

FerdinandK

in post #7 there is a video with different payloads (and the measured amps draw).

My math says:

payload: 0 -> 45min
payload 300 -> 41min
payload 700 -> 36min
payload 1500 ->28min
payload 3000 -> 20min
payload 4500 -> 15min

All with 2x4S11000 maxamp.com batteries.

best regards

Ferdinand

FerdinandK

If you fly in moderate forward flight (10-20km/h), the amps-draw is even lower that at hovering. Of course if you push (30-50k m/h) your battery will be empty sooner. I have not done a "long-flight-time" video with this copter (but I will do). I would claim my math to be pretty accurate (as the parameters are matched from real in-flight data).

best regards

Ferdinand