Flying Skills and more

kloner

Aerial DP
this is where i was with rc this time last year, still hadn't touched a quad. But was thinking about em

by doing alot of this

single rotor, couldn't afford the 3d route, so threw a ton of money at scale instead
practicing to go fly at the heli scale masters.... but my camera fell and sucked

When you say skills, there are alot of different avenues cheaper than a multi rotor to learn on that directly relates to any rc. it's the hand eye coordination and being able to stay in the seat with your orientation. I've been around a zillion full scale pilots that'll tell ya flying rc is the hardest thing they've tried to do. If you were a kid and could get through video games, this is a breeze. if you played em and didn't finish them, this is hard, if you never touched a video game, this would be really really hard. Partly why sims used like a kid uses them work so well. Older folks have a hard time relating to it and get bored so easily, but repeating moves till there mastered like you do in a video game is required to get anywhere with them other than being a novelty

that above is a guy that flew rc for 15 years on and off, mostly on the last 6. I played video games but never finished em.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROVguy

The flying skills shown by warthox are crazy, I didn't even know you could do any of that stuff with a quad! How would you go about doing it? In manual I presume?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kloner

Aerial DP
yep, and fine tuning a flight controller to be able to idle and still give enough power to finish a flip.

ROVguy

So not something you'd want to do with a disco then :) looks like I'm gonna have to invest in a little throw about quad in the future then :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cpmboy

flying skills.....difference skills for what you want to do with your bird:

1. sport/acrobatic/leisure flying

2. FPV

3. AP/AV

Dewster

DJI F550 prop loss and nice save video:

Youtube http://youtu.be/qrMuROJIJLY

I found this video and think it has to be one of the best piloting skills during a failure that I've seen so far. As I find 'em I'll post them. The saves are a testament to skill as well as stunts.

What kind of FC do you think warthox is using? I turned up the rates on my controller for the MQX and got it to flip under 6 feet but warthox quad flips even quicker!!!! You have to be 150' in the air to even think about flipping the NAZA in manual...that thing is so slowwwwwwww

Any idea how in the world that guy is doing that type of flying?!?!

I totally agree with your statement. I personally got a Walkera Ladybird 2 days ago and I have been very impressed with its' stability and its' manoeuvrability. Usually, those two words do not go together but in this case it does!

I will use the ladybird to keep the reflexes and improve with my flight technique during the long, cold, winter months here in Canada.

One question however, is it normal to only get 25 to 30 feet range with this contraption? I am flying my Ladybird with the ''Compulsory to purchase'' devention 2402D. (I really needed a 13th radio...)

Thanks for your answers.

Gee, I seem to be in a different post all together! Sorry guys, thought I was adding a comment on the Walkera Ladybird micro drone....

I too bought a cheap little quad so I could learn to fly and I got quite good at chasing the pets, killing the grandkids and upsetting my wife. When it was time to build a camera carrier I thought it would be relitivly easy to fly it.....Wrong! little quad is mode 2, my propper radio is Mode 1, I can fly mode 2 fixed wing but I have to think about it. so triyng to fly my bigger quad was a "start from scratch" affair, hehehe. Still its a lot of fun. best advist I could give is. Just get as much air time as you can, Keep it low and slow and keep it regular. If i stop flying for a few days I find the first battery is just trying to pick up where I left off. I have 5 batteries and I try to use them all, every day. Orrietation is the big hurrdle for me so the front of my quad is covered with really bright LED's and I just fly figure 8's low over grass so if it gets away from me I can just dump it on the deck with no damage. When there is no wind I will practise "nose away" circuls with auto level off but if there is any breeze I just go back to auto level figure 8. Hope this helps.

Pete.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I agree with fly a pack just to regain your skills before doing anything else complicated. I think it saved my heli on the weekend. First, I flew out a whole pack in manual (well, Stabilize), and then I moved on to my first attempts at flying a waypoint mission with the heli. I had had success in the quad, so I sent the heli up, flicked it over to auto, and then moved over to my tripod mounted camera and tried to film the mission. I was having trouble seeing it in the viewfinder trying to track it. Then I heard a noise, sounded like things weren't going well. I had to look up, find it, see the problem, switch to stabilize and then save it. It was pitched down about 10 degrees, flying to the ground at about 90 km/h.

I was lucky to save it, and probably wouldn't if I hadn't warmed up first.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Now, here is a vote in favour of these automatic systems. I was flying some automatic waypoint missions on the weekend, tuning the system to work on the heli. I had fixed the problem where it was pitching too much, but now had substituted that for not pitching enough to fly the mission. It did OK until the 4th waypoint, where it lost the path and started to wander. Not sure what it was doing, I flipped to Stabilize, and tried to fly it back to me, but I was disoriented and actually flew it away from me. Then I switched to RTL. By this point it was about 400m away, and I could not tell if RTL was working or not. (it did work, but I didn't give it enough time). So I switched to simple mode and brought it back that way. All I had to do was pull the cyclic stick towards me, and it flew back. Orientation doesn't matter for Simple Mode.

Now, obviously I lost orientation *because* I was flying in auto mode. But I've also lost orientation when not flying in auto mode. This heli would have been a goner if not for the automatic systems.