Flying safety. oath to not fly over people!

dazzab

Why is flying private planes over our head is OK but flying RC Toys over peoples head is wrong??
I don't think it's legal to fly a private plane over our heads as close as a MR does. Indeed, private planes are much more highly regulated than RC toys and require operators to demonstrate competence after training.

Stacky

Well firstly planes are subject to very stringent engineering and manufacturing standards. Planes are subject to operating standards and checks. There are far far far more passenger and carrier aircraft in the air at any one moment compared to rc craft and also those aircraft are tracked and monitored while in the air. When there are air tragedies the aircraft concerned where possible is rebuilt to try and work out what went wrong.
To fly any sort of aircraft pilots must study and pass a variety of certificates and the more sophisticated the aircraft the more intense the training process.
Aircraft have to follow a set of flight rules and laws, the pilots have to submit a flight plan for each flight.
RC craft are often home built by hobbyists who often buy the cheapest components they can which in turn can be very poor quality. To fly a RC toy you dont have to do any sort of course or pass any sort of certificate, your rc toy if you have built your own doesnt have to be certified and checked by any supervising authority. You dont have to supply a flight plan to anyone.
RC toys crash at a massively higher rate than full sized planes etc especially when looked at as a ratio of craft to crashes.

Every single person on this forum will have had some sort of crash with their RC toys. A lot of us have crashed because of pilot error and a lot of us will have crashed because of component failure.

Full sized aircraft will cause a massive amount more damage than any RC toy ever could but full sized aircraft dont crash in anyway near the massive amount of crashes rc toys do.

Given the high ratio of times rc aircraft crash for whatever reason anyone flying over crowds of people is taking a risk which is an avoidable risk.

The reason that full size aircraft crash as a tiny percentage of the numbers flying is that risk is avoided at all costs where possible, its not the same for RC toys.

Bowley

There are also flight minima for flying over congested areas and congregations of people for manned aircraft.

tamulmol

i havent seen people died because of FPV plane or multicopter compared to the real ones. Real are still more dangerous flying around, i just watched the airshow crash awhile ago, thats why i was wondering :) I understand commercial and military craft, its a need and should take the risk but private planes and for shows its just like RC but more dangerous.

Stacky

I wouldnt want to hurt someone with my multirotor, I would feel bad if I gave someone a slight graze on an arm. Would you be ok if one of yours gave someone a knock?. I seriously doubt a rc toy will ever kill anyone but thats not what we are worried about. its a simple case of not wanting to hurt anyone, no matter how minor. If we can control the risk of hurting someone then isnt it prudent to do so?

i havent seen people died because of FPV plane or multicopter compared to the real ones. Real are still more dangerous flying around, i just watched the airshow crash awhile ago, thats why i was wondering :) I understand commercial and military craft, its a need and should take the risk but private planes and for shows its just like RC but more dangerous.

tamulmol

I wouldnt want to hurt someone with my multirotor, I would feel bad if I gave someone a slight graze on an arm. Would you be ok if one of yours gave someone a knock?. I seriously doubt a rc toy will ever kill anyone but thats not what we are worried about. its a simple case of not wanting to hurt anyone, no matter how minor. If we can control the risk of hurting someone then isnt it prudent to do so?

No i dont want to hit anyone, I also don't fly over people. Maybe im just too affected by what i've watched LOL.

Stacky

I all honesty I have flown over people, I tried to stay off to the side and also tried to avoid flying over them. It wasnt a crowd and the chance of me hitting someone was pretty low but looking back at it the flying over them was stupid.
Here is the video of it. I will avoid doing this again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewster

i havent seen people died because of FPV plane or multicopter compared to the real ones. Real are still more dangerous flying around, i just watched the airshow crash awhile ago, thats why i was wondering :) I understand commercial and military craft, its a need and should take the risk but private planes and for shows its just like RC but more dangerous.[/QU

The news stories are out there:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-177116/Girl-killed-remote-control-plane.html

I had a flat Hexa crash from a prop break. You don't think about how heavy these craft are until you see it free falling out of the sky (if you're lucky that its not flying off in space). Never mind the momentum it had when you lost control. My new Y6 is just shy of seven pounds with camera gear. It flies great, but my last crash is a constant reminder of what could go wrong (anything).

Last edited by a moderator:

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
The FAA wouldn't ban aircraft if one crashed. We on the other hand are under close watch as this new hobby grows exponentially. So on one hand it's not wanting to hurt someone but its also the negative publicity associated with each and every incident.