flying in the Cold

diverdan

Just back from Greenland filming in -15 to -20. The multi rotor worked most of time, but had a few crazy moment. Any thoughts. I have the Wookong, and they say operating temp is -5c. Would this be my problems, or me be in the Arctic circle?

b0nafide

I've flown in -10, no problems. I've seen YouTube videos of guys flying in more then -20C, so I think your okay there.

I do recall something in the DJI manual about the GPS not being able to function properly near the poles.

diverdan

Thanks for the reply. Any thoughts on flying near the poles would be interesting, as i might be going there again.

wizprod

I have flown in around -10 deg C as well. No problems with a MK.

Around the poles, that could be funny magnetism wise, but then again, the GPS should provide the compass with the offset it needs.

Only thing dangerous about minus degrees is if you combine it with fog. Ice will then form on your props, and within 4-5 minutes of flight you'll be in trouble. The ice destroys the aerodynamics of the prop as the ice forms on the leading edge especially. I have tried flying in those conditions, fun as an experiment, a nightmare if you would have to do a job :(

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Flown WKN in -35ºc at 68 degrees N with no issues apart from the frostbite on my pinkies.. I have posted the video on numerous occasions so Ill just post a link if you want to see it..

https://vimeo.com/37034792

Saying that this year I did have GPS issues in the same location, I re calibrated the compass and it was much better. Unfortunately the weather was not as kind this year, warmer but much more wind and cloud... never mind there is always next year.

@ DD it would be good to see some video.. Sad new today about the guy not making it through a snow storm there

Dave