Flying after an underwater 'landing'

Flydigital

Probably because I stupidly forgot to tighten the props my F550 lost a propellor mid flight and spiral down into a very cold freshwater Scottish Loch. Luckily it was only 2 metres down and with some luck I had it on the bank in less than 10 minutes.

As it resurfaced one of the ESCs was fizzing like crazy. 4 days later having dried it all out as much as I could it all seems to stat up and spin fine. Telemetry, goPro, the lot. Only thing not working is the ESC that almost burst into flames. That is now twitchy and I presume dead.

So my question is, what's the prognosis for this machine? I would plan to replace the ESC and send it up. Are the other parts now a liability? Does anyone have similar experiences of flying after a bath?

loch.jpg

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Those pics are amazing!!!

Is this a potential for new ways to search for Nessy??? :)

As @Vermiform said, keep an eye on that motor - as well as all the others. I would suggest running a good bit on the bench (sans props) to see if any other components show signs of algae fatigue.

Good work fishing it out of that Loch!

violetwolf

A good tip for drying out electronics is to put them in some uncooked rice. The rice will draw the moisture out and absorb it.