Flying 5D

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
nice video, it looks like you're making good progress.

i'm just curious, if you remove the 5D and throw a gopro on there or a small point and shoot does it still perform like that or does it have to be completely retuned?

thanks,
bart

Bartman

for big defferent of weight, we have to completely retune PID & lower power.

ok, thanks for the info. it's been a big mystery as to what the bigger brushless gimbals would be capable and not capable of. it's still early so we'll see if that flexibility develops in time.

Bart

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
there is probably a bigger problem with a brushless than just retuning it for a gopro ! Bigger DRLS brushless wont balance anymore with the little weight a gopro has ! At the same time i made as a rule that the lower power wise you turn the motors the more smooth things will work out. Thus tuning down for ligter cams is necessary in my eyes

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
ok, thanks for the info. it's been a big mystery as to what the bigger brushless gimbals would be capable and not capable of. it's still early so we'll see if that flexibility develops in time.

Bart

flexibility will probably never be given ! to do it right you will have to balance all 3 axis in complete balance meaning no matter which orientation you turn the cam/gimbal it should not move. Gimbal design wise it wont be possible to take a 5d and also have a gopro balanced out nicely !

ary

I found a big drawback of BGC, we can't swap lenses frequently because gimbal COG has to be balance perfectly(took more time compare to servos), upload PID parameter.
Using a zoom lens won't help. Changing focal lenght/zooming will move lens barrel, COG will change.
Unless you have identical MR +camera with different lens to keep up working in rush shooting enviroment

Bartman

I found a big drawback of BGC, we can't swap lenses frequently because gimbal COG has to be balance perfectly(took more time compare to servos), upload PID parameter.
Using a zoom lens won't help. Changing focal lenght/zooming will move lens barrel, COG will change.
Unless you have identical MR +camera with different lens to keep up working in rush shooting enviroment

i don't want to hijack your thread but i've been waiting to see if the brushless drive gimbals can develop the flexibility that a good servo driven gimbal would have. if the drive is strong enough why would the balance really matter as much? shouldn't the motors be able to handle any imbalance without trouble?

kloner

Aerial DP
you can create profiles within BGC that would let you have up to 3 preset settings, then it'd just be a matter of getting all three set for whatever cameras. The gimbals themselves are designed around the camera size it needs to carry. just like servo drives, a little hero gimbal wont work with a nex and even though a hero will work on a servo gimbal, who does that? might work to get started, but most folks settle into certain rigs with certain gimbals for certain cameras. we rn an 800 hex for dslr, jib for red, etc. to risk the jib with a av200 would be not alot of reward for the risk....... but a TBS disco pro with a hero not only works better but is way less loss. i can flip from dslr to a nex in 2 minutes on my 3 axis brushless. it'll power a red around but flying them is still tricky, like flying it on an av200 is turnkey, yea right. no matter what the results we have had with big brushless gimbals is spectacular. servos are dinosaurs, wait till you try selling one

ary

Yes, gimbal motor can handle any imbalance up to a certain weight. But I prefere to balance it perfectly, so it can perform good. Especially during FFF or high wind situation. Im using 5010 motor, its very close to motor power limit to handle 5D, so perfect balance is a must. Next week I will try to instal a bigger motor.