Aeronavics / Droidworx Flight Time assistance needed.

No change. In a hover -- it still rotates left ... slowly. I also landed and rotated it to the other side - no change.

The F450 does NOT do this....

Razzil

All I can figure, is fibrations to the gps. That piece of carbon fiber the gps is mounted on being the issue.
I had decent results, but not great compared to having it mounted solid ...my opinion its to flimsy.
The GPS doens't like vibrations and that sticky tape is suspose to take any vibs out, so I read.
The only solid places on that frame to mount the GPS, are either a GPS arm mount ... or something like I have there.
Turnigy Talon arm and motor mount, mounted to the frame and the centre hole out back reamed out bigger.
I got the idea from Boris on this forum, as he also got better gps results. He had something similar made up.

Rotates left .. so its yawing ... are the motor mounts perfectly level to each other?
I crashed one day and it moved the mount just a little and it was yawing ... remounted the motor mounts and it fixed it.

Razzil,
I started a different thread on the DJI forum since the "rotating left" seems to be a DJI issue and not a Droidworx issue.

The motor mounts are all level. They hit the detents as they were installed.

As you (and Tahoe Ed) have both suggested - I moved the GPS puck to the Right Rear arm (see pic at the other forum) - with no change. I'm guessing that I need to replace the GPS puck with the other one from the F450 to see if that will help or not.....

Ttelmah

and, you have got the 'north' of the puck, offset by the amount of your local magnetic declination I hope?.
It is necessary. Yours looks remarkably 'straight'.

Best Wishes

and, you have got the 'north' of the puck, offset by the amount of your local magnetic declination I hope?.
It is necessary. Yours looks remarkably 'straight'.

Best Wishes

I am only at 3~5 degrees West declination - so it would look pretty 'straight'. I've tried moving it as much as +15 and -15 degrees with no change in the slow rotation to the left.

I've recalibrated the IMU (thanks to Tahoe Ed and tstrike) but haven't had a chance to fly it yet. I'm hoping that the re-cal will help. I'll fly if it stops raining just to see if the gremlin is gone.

Dale.

Ttelmah

OK. It was best to check.

Hopefully the IMU calibration will have fixed it. If not, there is one other thing I can think of, that can cause this sort of behaviour. Having the Naza 'resiliently' mounted.
I originally mounted my Naza using industrial Velcro. Had a very similar behaviour. Switched to the double sided tape supplied, and made sure it was quite stiff to the copter frame, and problems vanished.
It is the 'exact opposite' of units like the ArduPilot, where this requires quite a resilient mount, or it gets problems from vibration. The Naza must be really rigidly mounted to the copter.

If the problem persists, look at your mounting.

Best Wishes

Ttelmah,
The NAZA is mounted to the top stack plate in the CX4 using the supplied tape from DJI. You can see my mounting location in post #29 of this thread. I don't think that I can mounte it anywhere else.

I still need to change out the GPS puck with another one to see if that *could* potentially be the issue. I kind of doubt it because it's locking on to the satellites with no problem. Adding declination by moving the arrow on the puck to +15 and then -15 degress didn't seem to phase it - but of course that was just hovering. I've only flown it around once and that's when it jerked left about 20 degrees 2 or 3 times during that flight. I haven't wanted to fly it around until I get a sense that the problem is corrected.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning and will be gone for about a month on a driving tour of the midwest and west coast. I am still planning to take it along in case I can come up with a solution druing our trip. First stop is the Estes Park in the Rockys and then to SLC, Yosemite and around the bottom of California to the 4 corners before heading back towards home. We don't really have a set schedule and I was hoping to get some flights in at the various vista points. I'm now going to throw in my F450 as a backup - just in case....

That HPRC 2700 case you have ... are you putting your Droidworx CX4 in there?
I figure we need a bigger case ... something on the lines of the Pelican 1650 or 1690.
One thing I hate doing is unscrewing the props for transporting.
This is what I've been doing up until now ...

View attachment 13606

Razzil -
I've finished fitting all of the CX bits and charging gear into the HPRC2700.

View attachment 10790
View attachment 10791

I still need to hollow out the area just inside the front lip (between the rear of the CX and the top of the case) for prop storage. I understand your point about not wanting to srew/unscrew the propnuts each time you take it out to fly. I was primarily thinking about this trip and how to protect it for the next month as we take our driving vacation. It would have been so much easier if we had an RV!!! ....sigh

Anyway, this should give you a view of how I fit things into the case. There may be better ways of arranging things in there, but my limitation was the 4 corners of the CX and what to do with the landing gear. Since the foam is elogated "cubes" in two layers, it doesn't lend itself to being cut too easily so that's why I have the jagged edge instead of a smooth cutout.

Attachments

• 20130401_172045.jpg
    20130401_172045.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 20130401_171958.jpg
    20130401_171958.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 317