Motor Balancing Prior to Build (F550)

b0nafide

I've seen videos on the internet demonstrating how to balance a motor with tape, glue or simply by removing the motor stickers. But what I haven't seen is a demonstration on how to setup the balancing from scratch (showing how to power the motors, etc)

For instance, prior to building my F550 and prior to attaching the motors to the frame (using threadlock)... I think it may be an ideal time to balance the motors... but how can I power them? Do I simply just install the ESC to the motor and plug the ESC directly into a battery? Could I use my Ardunio board to supply some power for the job?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated...

IF you want to balance prior to installing onto the 550, I would make yourself a testing stand. Something to mount the motor to so it does not move when you power it up. Then you can hook the esc to your motor wires and the battery with the esc servo lead plugged into the throttle channel on your receiver. It does not need to be attached to any control board.

1. attach motor wires to esc
2. attach servo wire to the throttle channel on your Rx
3. set throttle limits (calibrate) on your esc by starting with the throttle at 100% (full throttle).
4. plug in your battery to the esc (which will also power your rx if it has a bec built in)
5. after the first beep, move the throttle stick to 0% (throttle down)
6. Unplug the battery
7 replug the battery with the throttle at 0%. Now you can increase throttle on the motor to check the balance.

You may want to program the proper settings on your esc before balancing (although probably not super important)
Do not spin up your motor without bolting it to a solid platform.
Do not do this with the prop attached!
You can do this with the motor mounted to the 550, but unplug the wire from the flight controller and run it directly to a Rx throttle channel.

kloner

Aerial DP
i do mine after installing everything with the motors on the arms...... first thing i do is fire it up and mark any that have a vibe with a piece of tape. I rotate the prop adapter in those arms and see if it goes away make better than you start or put it back, usualy it is only 2 or 3 optional spots it can be. from there with a seismic app go over each motor and try making each as good as you can, place tape, try, if worse move 180 deg, if better but not fixed, add/remove till is better.

This sounds goofy, but you wanna talk about a smooth flying bird and jello free everything

PaNt

i do mine after installing everything with the motors on the arms...... first thing i do is fire it up and mark any that have a vibe with a piece of tape. I rotate the prop adapter in those arms and see if it goes away make better than you start or put it back, usualy it is only 2 or 3 optional spots it can be. from there with a seismic app go over each motor and try making each as good as you can, place tape, try, if worse move 180 deg, if better but not fixed, add/remove till is better.

This sounds goofy, but you wanna talk about a smooth flying bird and jello free everything

with the iPhone app on whatt throttle percentage do you check your motors?

thx

kloner

Aerial DP
i focus on what throttle range makes em shake worse. Basicaly i run the whole thing..... when you get done and fire it up, theres zero motor vibes that you can feel by hand. They don't come out of the box like that, a builder makes it happen

JG-rn

I did mine with the tape also. What I did was mount the motors to the arms that were attached to the frames. Plug the esc into the throttle ch on your Rx. Get the iPhone or android vibration app and lay it on the arm with a rubber and around it. Then power up to 50% throttle and see what the vibrations are like. Take a little piece of electrical tape and put it on the motors....if it gets worse or doesnt change, move it over a little. Keep moving it till you find the best spot. After you've found the best spot add a second piece of tape on top of it. If it gets better, keep adding, worse...take it off

PaNt

I did mine with the tape also. What I did was mount the motors to the arms that were attached to the frames. Plug the esc into the throttle ch on your Rx. Get the iPhone or android vibration app and lay it on the arm with a rubber and around it. Then power up to 50% throttle and see what the vibrations are like. Take a little piece of electrical tape and put it on the motors....if it gets worse or doesnt change, move it over a little. Keep moving it till you find the best spot. After you've found the best spot add a second piece of tape on top of it. If it gets better, keep adding, worse...take it off

Yeap thats what i have done on mine..! but the thing is how to balance them with props on.. For instance you have to check with a propn on and then to turn the prop 90degrees and see if its better or worse...!

JG-rn

Yeap thats what i have done on mine..! but the thing is how to balance them with props on.. For instance you have to check with a propn on and then to turn the prop 90degrees and see if its better or worse...!

You don't balance the, with props on. Balance the motors. Balance the props. Then combine :)