Flight controllers

lpd

Very new to it all. Have been watching videos and reading everything I can find on quads for at least 3 months now. I don't have anything yet but would like to build my first quad. I pretty much understand it all or at least a lot about most components. I would really appreciate some suggestions on which flight controller to get. I'm not rich but I don't want something to cheap. Midprice for a beginner. Any and all replys will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

bc6

QuadCopter Noobie
Im very new to quads and Ive done some research of some of the flight controllers out there. I picked up the KK2.0 FC for my incoming DJI F330 kit. The KK2.0 has an lcd screen on it to make setup a breeze, you don't need to hook it up to a computer to program it. The KK2.0 comes preloaded with different configurations and its pretty inexpensive at $29.99 usd. The link is be low they also have a video you can check out on youtube.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...2_0_Multi_rotor_LCD_Flight_Control_Board.html

lpd

Wow. That is incredibly cheap compared to some I've been reading about. I really appreciate the reply. Please let me know how it works out. I would still love to hear about any others also.
Thaks again.

CryBaby

I'm also new to this - completely new, and am currently in research mode. I have in hand a Tarot 680PRO chassis. So I am in need first of all for a competent controller. $1,000 to $1,500 controllers are out of budget. I want to make my flights as easy as humanly possible. With modern technology this should be a doable without breaking the bank. I see the advantages of open source systems and am not afraid of hooking it up to my computer and learning how to program. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do and besides there's enough help out there to lend a hand. I'm a gemstone cutter - let's trade. You could put a smile on your honey's face - and on yours.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
What do you want to do with your rig?

The KK2, Nase32 and CCCD boards are all great for smaller 250 - 500 size fun and racing buds. They fly well, are easy to tune and generally work great.

If you want to get into GPS the PicHawk and the APM 2.6 Ardupilot both work GREAT and are in the $ Affordable zone. And the SuperX is an AWESOME FC at around $400 and the MiniX rocks as well too coming in just under $200.

CryBaby

First off to learn to fly well, as easily as possible, to be able to put grown men in awe and make women and children cry. Perhaps to graduate to basic FPV. Thanks for the input SleepyC, I'll look into Pixhawk, the APM, and the X's. Thanks again.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
One thing that I'd add is that I have found a clear line of differentiation between the open and closed source FCs. They all have their pros and cons; whether it be price, flight characteristics, or ease of use or features.

What I've found in my experience is that the open source will take a bit more time (or possibly a lot more time) to achieve the flight characteristics and functionality that is often found out of the box with closed source FCs. For some, the research, learning and tweaking required to get a multiwii flying great will be half the fun. But for some it's a frustration that prevents them from continuing to grow in the hobby.

And in my experience, closed source may not have all the features packed into the open source boards. For some, the price of a closed source FC that doesn't have the bells and whistles of say a Pixhawk, will be a turnoff, and make someone feel they wasted money.

I think it's important to ask yourself which type of person you are. This way, you won't be disappointed by the time it takes to get an open source quad in the air flying well. Or you won't be pissed you spent $300 for an FC without waypoints.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
Depending on what you want to do will make a huge difference to which FCU I would recommend.

450 size for a some cruising and a bit of basic AP then the Naza is hard to beat.

If you want to do a bit of smaller sized racing in a 250 size then the Naze32 Acro with Cleanflight is a great choice.

CryBaby

I am building a Tarot 680PRO hex and after many hours research I have settled on one of SleepyC's recommendations. An X Aircraft MINIX system is on it's way. From what I've read on the forums it looks like the system should fit my needs. If X Aircraft has listened to their customers reports most of the nasty kinks should now be repaired. I will need to learn how to properly set the system up. That seems to be a lot of the correctable problems I have seen from others. We shall see. The commitment has been made. But this build will take some time. I'm in no hurry to crash and burn and will take my time, one step at a time. It will be done as right as I can make it.

Thanks for the input.