First FPV test flight

kloner

Aerial DP
spot meter was off, whats that mean? pretty sure the one i sent in would be the river video above had it on..... assuming it worked cause the cam was broke

DesJardins

Spot meter is primarily for shooting from inside of a car or other dark space looking out into a brighter outside setting. Spot meter adjusts the exposure for the absolute center of the scene, for example the road ahead instead of the interior of the car.

I made sure it was off, when I flew directly into the sun view I still had a good ground view without the drastic dimming of everything around the predominant light.

Give it a try & let me know your impressions!
Center weighted average meter is best for normal outdoor and indoor lighting conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesJardins

Here was my 3rd flight of the day, we'll see if I need to ditch Spektrum and go Futaba 8F this weekend when I try to pass 2600 feet.

skipper1

It looks like to me that you're taking to this like a duck takes to water. I don't know how far you flew but it looked like it was a pretty good distance.
Now that you've had a chance to fly with the new motors, what are your thoughts?

DesJardins

It looks like to me that you're taking to this like a duck takes to water. I don't know how far you flew but it looked like it was a pretty good distance.
Now that you've had a chance to fly with the new motors, what are your thoughts?

Oh yea, I'm loving FPV & I have a feeling within no time I'll be flying around manual mode and seeing if I can post some fast vids like Kloner and MWR :fingers-crossed: the palm trees are just a hair over 1400 feet so tomorrow I'll be passing them and moving onto the next 1000
foot stretch to the end.

All I can say is T-motors are the best hands down... smooth, efficient, after flight they're barely warm and ready for more!
:)

kloner

Aerial DP
i wouldn't even worry about manual mode, as you get comftorable just fly a little lower. That's what makes the illusion of what were doing different. atti and the altitude hold is awesome for long flat stretches like you got.

skipper1

OK, it's time for you to do a vacation somewhere other than the desert. It looked like you hooked up with Kloner, except no railroad. I think you're there. I noticed you now have the Futaba, it that working better for you?

DesJardins

Des- Awesome flight!!!
I see you're now using a Futaba 8FG Super...how are you liking yours?
-George

Hey George,
I actually used the DX8 on this flight! The Futaba hasn't arrived yet but I'm excited to give the 8FG a try :)

OK, it's time for you to do a vacation somewhere other than the desert. It looked like you hooked up with Kloner, except no railroad. I think you're there. I noticed you now have the Futaba, it that working better for you?

Hey Skip!
LOL, I haven't meet up with Kloner... Yet ;)

I think it's time for me to take a little trip to the Sedona and get a lush scenery very soon. So far I'm digging this FPV stuff & look forward to some more interesting flight vids

irvan36mm

Hey George,
I actually used the DX8 on this flight! The Futaba hasn't arrived yet but I'm excited to give the 8FG a try :)........
Cool! You'll like the 8FG-S.
Even though it has 14 available channels, the Naza only operates on 8 channels..S-Bus or not.
So you can only use 8 channels on the 8FG-S.
But, I've seen a video somewhere (youtube?) where someone w/ an 8FG-S used a 3-way switch
for the flight modes (Atti,GPS Atti & Manual) and used a mix function off of the 3-way switch to where he set-up a 2-way switch
for normal operation and Fail-Safe.
Kinda like a master "Oh **** " switch, in case he got into trouble. LOL
And it works in all 3 flight modes. I think he set the Fail-Safe for RTH??
He also rigged his 8FG-S to go into Fail-Safe RTH if he turned off the radio or if he lost signal,too.
I need to read into it in the manual & I'll try it out after I get my Disco up & running.
-George

DesJardins

Yup I'll be doing the same. That's exactly what I had the quad set-up to do with the DX8.

Manual/Att/GPS on the 3 position switch and the toggle behind that was emergency failsafe or "RTH"
As well if the DX8 is turned off simulating a loses signal it faulted into fail-safe (RTH)

Good emergency backup to have!

kloner

Aerial DP
i like that direction alot better....... you got gobs of room out that way.

That slow oscillation it's doing most that flight is too low of ail/ele gain

Awesome though bro, your getting there

irvan36mm

Yup I'll be doing the same. That's exactly what I had the quad set-up to do with the DX8.

Manual/Att/GPS on the 3 position switch and the toggle behind that was emergency failsafe or "RTH"
As well if the DX8 is turned off simulating a loses signal it faulted into fail-safe (RTH)

Good emergency backup to have!
Oops! This guy had a Futaba 10c radio, but it setting a second 2-way
switch on an 8FG-S for Fail-Safe RTH should be somewhat similar.