First Build!

Y0urDaddy

So I have stared my first build with a Flame Wheel 450.

Initial build of the ARF kit seemed rather straight forward. It did not come with any instructions at all, but I don't really think they were needed. Plus I have watched a few build videos online.

I Just have the basic frame right now. I want to space the cost out abit, I am planning to get a Naza lite with GPS and all for it. Not sure on the radio yet, I have raced RC cars for years so I have tons of experience with those kind of radios but nothing really around aircraft.View attachment 18995

I guess we will see how things go.

Attachments

• WP_20140705_004.jpg
    WP_20140705_004.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 102

Y0urDaddy

So this may be a dumb question, but I will ask anyway. If you look at the pic I posted (besides the speed controllers being mounted wrong) you see I have defined front to back on my F450 by where you may mount a camera. Anyone who has built a F450 knows the base frame has two areas for what I assume are camera mounts. Now as far as I know for any quad to fly the rotors have to basically be a perfect square. So my question is does it really matter how you position the arms on the base plate? I don't think the helicopter cares how you define front and back. I think that is defined by how you mount the flight controller but is there a 'correct' way? even on the DJI build video I have seen the F450 built both ways.

Thanks..

genesc

It does not make any difference which way is front or back. As you said front is where you have your controller facing. I used the red arms as my front on my DJI F450. It helps to plan ahead on where you will be placing your electronics though. It is very easy to back yourself in a corner and have to re do stuff. I am new at this myself and have watched dozens of build videos on the F450 and it just depends on the person building it which direction he puts the arms in. And a camera can go at either end. The DJI is made so you can mount it on which ever end you decide will be your front.

Gene

Last edited by a moderator:

Y0urDaddy

Thanks for the info Gene... It did not seem like it should matter to me. I am waiting for the Naza to show up, then I need to pick a transmitter. I want to spend a bit of time researching radio systems. Like I said I raced cars for years so I have experience with RC car radios but I never really did anything with aircraft before. I want to get something decent that I can use for a while, not something I will have to replace to upgrade in a year or so.

Thanks again...

genesc

All I can say are these kits are strong and durable. I am new and these are what I am learning on. I now have three of the. A basic H, and two Tri's
They have taken a beating and held up without any replacement parts yet.

I was just suggesting these to you because the lug kits and parts are fantastic. Made of nylon/poly. Tough as nails.. :) And the neat thing about
the lugs and pieces is that you can build anything your imagination can think of with the parts.
I also have a DJI F-450 with Naza now but I fly the QUad kits more...:) More fun to buzz around.
Gene

Y0urDaddy

Thanks for all of the info Gene...

I need to finish up my flamewheel project and see how that works out for me. There seems to be a pretty big difference in prices when looking at radios and all. I am trying to figure out what I need now vs. what would be a nice to have for what I am trying to do with it.

Thanks...

hjls3

Just checking out your picture. Did you add some length to the ESC power leads? If so, that might cause you some probs down the road unless you have a capacitor between ESC and PDB.

genesc

Yes you will see allot of different Transmitters on most forums. Just keep in mind what you want to use the radio for. I bought two of them.

The Turnigy 9XR and the Taranis X9D. Both are full of features but different when setting up. The Turnigy was very cheap but a great buy IMO.

The Taranis is a bit more money but also has Telememitry which can be a plus.The quality of the Taranis is much better than the Turnigy IMO.

Although I am new at all this those two radio's will work well for my type of flying and probably offer more than I would ever need.

For many expperienced flyers it is a matter of preference on radios and what they plan on using them for. I would never think of buying a high end Futaba TX or anything that elaborate because all I will be doing is buzzing around my property and using my FPV gear eventually.

I stay with the low end quad and tri builds because I do not need a big heavy lift unit to carry around all the camera equipment etc.

As I mentioned in my previous post, that I have bought a Quad Lugs kit and actually two of them. They look clunky and I would go as far to say that 99% of the folks on this forum would turn their noses up at them. Even though they are unatractive and clunky looking, they fly good enough for me to learn on.

But I still have my Bartman's Group Build DJI F-450, and SK-450 as well but do not enjoy buzzing around nearly as much with them nearly as much as I do with my clunkers...:)

So I did allot of reasearch and asked allot of questions before I really started investing any moneys in my quads and support equipment. For the most part Moto and Pete along with a couple others really gave me the head start I needed here.

Wish you the best Daddy.

Gene

Last edited by a moderator:

Y0urDaddy

Just checking out your picture. Did you add some length to the ESC power leads? If so, that might cause you some probs down the road unless you have a capacitor between ESC and PDB.

That is how it came out of the box I bought. I did move the ESC's once I realized that I put them on the wrong side of the arms.

Hey Gene...

Thanks again! Once I pick up the radio I think I am ready for a test fly. I learned to fly with a micro quad, so I do have some experience with a total hands on quad. It will be interesting to see how a quad with a GPS and all handles compared to my micro.