GoPro or FPV First?

dmoorejr

Hello,

I want to take my dead cat and make it into an FPV quad with a Gopro. As I have a baby on the way my funds are limited to one or the other right now with the possibility of getting the last part a month or two after. I have mounted my Iphone 5S to my quad and taken some videos, but the hard part was knowing what I was filming. So my question is which should I buy first: the Fatshark Predator V2 kit or the GoPro Hero3 Silver?

Thanks!!!!

Here is the youtube video I recorded with my Iphone 5S:

Last edited by a moderator:

IMHO - If your main focus is on aerial photo/video work you will need to move up to the GoPro Hero 3 Black or 3+ Black which can also function as your FPV camera. In that case you might want to stick with a 7 inch FPV monitor mounted on a tripod.
Fatshark goggles are best suited specifically for FPV flying. You might be able to get by without an assistant/spotter when using the monitor. I strongly recommend using a spotter while wearing FPV glasses at least initially.

dmoorejr

IMHO - If your main focus is on aerial photo/video work you will need to move up to the GoPro Hero 3 Black or 3+ Black which can also function as your FPV camera. In that case you might want to stick with a 7 inch FPV monitor mounted on a tripod.
Fatshark goggles are best suited specifically for FPV flying. You might be able to get by without an assistant/spotter when using the monitor. I strongly recommend using a spotter while wearing FPV glasses at least initially.

I'm sorry, I mean GoPro Hero3+ Silver (for the 1080 at 60fps).

I'm going for mainly fun flying using FPV and the ability to make videos for fun. I'm not partial as to which I get first, but I don't want to get the Gopro if I cannot get good frames.

Thanks Scott!

dmoorejr

If you're planning to purchase a GoPro, you might want to hold off. The GoPro Hero 4 will likely be released soon. http://thefusejoplin.com/2014/05/gopro-hero-4-release-date-specs-leaked/ If you "have to" buy something now, I would go with the FPV and get the GoPro later after the Hero 4 is released.

Oh wow, I was not aware that the GoPro Hero 4 was so close to release. Assuming this leak is accurate then the best bet would be to order the FPV kit and hold off for the new GoPro as the funds should be available around the speculated release date.

Thanks SoCal!

Oh a side note, are the SpiroNet 5.8 CP antennas necessary for FPV at first or can I upgrade to them later?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Although some people have decent luck with the whip antennas - it's seems to be the consensus that the upgrade to spiro or cloverleaf antennas should happen before you even plug in the system. Much better range and 5.8 can use all the help it can get :)

the cloverleaf antennas can be had for fairly cheap on the various classifieds.