Firmware bug in GPS Compass, notice from DJI

snurre

Hi - Im well, you too I hope!

Well, you may be right about this. Then again, DJI mentions nothing about it in the firmware firmware release notes.
5.16 Release notes states improvement to hexa setup motor failure and a new altitude limit. Nothing on IMU performance upgrade.
http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/wkm/en/Wookong_M_product_release_notes_en.pdf

This makes me wonder if it is yet to come...?
Cheers / T

Hi Tomas, hope you are well.. I believe the improvements they were talking about were with current firmware i.e 5.14 and the result of the 72 hour testing they done, a better firmware was produced using the observations from that test.. 5.16 was released and appears to be the best update yet

APVXtreme

APVXtreme
Hey Aviator, what is that tether called that dji used for the 72hr test? I want to power my bird indoors without using lipo's...

Thanks

snurre

Question to Digitech Electronics / DJI re. IMU upgrade

Question to Digitech Electronics & DJI re. WKM IMU upgrade

Or to anybody else who has got the answer...
I seem to be repeating myself in this thread but that is because I keep wondering how this specific WKM improvement matter turned out.
It is about the text that DJI released and Digitech relayed when DJI, after big efforts, had pinpointed the crash inducing WKM GPS firmware problem.
I will quote the text in this post. Pay extra attention about the parts where they mention improvement on the IMU firmware as a nice spin-off from the GPS de-bugging.
My point being - have this IMU firmware improvement been implemented during the following general WKM firmware releases (5.16 / 5-18) or is it still pending?

If it has already been included this important code change in recent fw releases I would expect DJI to mention it in the release notes but I didn´t see that. Not a word.
So what is the status on this, please?
/Tomas

Mail quote from Digitech, October 20 2012:

DJI, one of the world’s leading developers and manufacturers in UAV systems,today announced a voluntary recall of all WooKong-M GPS compasses purchasedafter June 15th, 2012. The new compasses’ firmware contained a bug that, undervery specific conditions, could send an erratic signal causing a spike in powerand overall system failure. DJI confirmed both the fault and the bug fix byflying four S800s under heavy burden on electric tether for more than 72 hourswithout failure.
Since learning of the system failures during several S800 flights, DJI spentmore than 1600 man hours in research and testing to determine the fault anddevelop a solution for customers. Through the vigorous research process, DJIengineers not only fixed the bug in the firmware, but also developed multiplenew innovations for the WooKong-M GPS compass.
In turn, DJI is also developing a new firmware upgrade for the WooKong-M IMUbased on the innovations developed for the compass bug fix. The IMU firmwareupgrade will be released within the next several weeks and will have superiorsolutions for the following: better resistance to vibration, less white lightsand better compass tracking. A further announcement will be made when thisfirmware enhancement will be available.
All customers with WooKong-M GPS compasses purchased after June 15th, 2012should click here to get information on returning their GPS/Compass module forfirmware upgrade. Until users of large multi-rotors (S800 size and larger)fitted with post-June 15th compasses complete the GPS/compass recall, DJIhighly recommends not flying to eliminate the potential of system failure.
All customers with WooKong-M GPS compasses purchased after June 15th, 2012should click here to get information on returningtheir GPS/Compass module for firmware upgrade. Until users of largemulti-rotors (S800 size and larger) fitted with post-June 15th compassescomplete the GPS/compass recall, DJI highly recommends not flying to eliminatethe potential of system failure.
DJI is excited that the company not only discovered the fault and developeda fix, but also created a superior firmware in the process. The company looksforward to working with all customers to quickly replace their affectedcompasses and get everyone back in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:

I would suggest that the quoted text has not originated from DJI. The structure of the text looks very suspicious, especially the instruction to "click here to get information" very similar to a scam (phishing) email.
On second thoughts (after reading the first post in the thread), maybe not :upset:

Last edited by a moderator:

snurre

Authentic! As I recall, it was even posted on DJI official web siste. Though now removed (I can't find it).
/ Tomas