Faulty motor or esc

Razzil

What are people doing these days for testing a potential faulty motor or ESC, or any preventive maintenance for that fact?

I've always kept that topic in the back of my mind reading through these forums. Came across a few, but to pin point and add a definite item as a checklist, I wouldn't know what to add.

What are you people doing? I'd like to hear your response.

kloner

Aerial DP
the only thing that goes wrong with a motor is break a bearing or bend a shaft. it's shown through heat in use and generaly unstable flight along with noise

an esc just works till it doesn't. in my experiance once a esc makes a couple flights, it's golden unless the rig hits water then that's generaly the only part you'll loose.

Razzil

I was watching a recent video from my gp3 and I heard an abnormal sound. It's always windy here so I take it out every now and then when the wind is really high, and just pop it up and down next to a wide open river to see how it reacts. Really get some gusts of wind. You never know, might be in a situation sometime and need to fly like it and know how to react. Motors seemed fine temp wise, as well as the esc's, as I normally do that after landing. (10x5 Graupner, AXi 2217/20, DJI 30a Optos, TBS Discovery) I'll post a video later and you can hear the sound I'm talking about. Could be the props I guess, but they seem pretty good. Recently replaced them, no scratches or anything. Other than that, it flys pretty good and I haven't heard the noise since. No wind, gps hold in the yard, sits prefect with no noise that I can hear.

Razzil

About 15 seconds in, you hear a strange rattle noise coming from the motors or props ....
It's gone now, so I'm guessing wind ... but def sounds strange.

Half way through my fpv camera lens comes lose and falls to the ground, about 2 feet away from the water.
Another good reason for LOS and testing things out I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Razzil

I do have two new spare motors. take it for a quick hop and see if I can hear which one its coming from.
Strange though as I didn't hear it the last three flights since that video.

Razzil

yes, big time. Central Newfoundland, normally around the coast. It was really hot out that day, and it was very humid, but the wind was up. I can't get the sound to happen again here today. But it was cooled off this evening when I tied. I'll have to keep an eye out.