FAA may get Drones Right.

keensg

President, geoResource Technologies, Inc.
Yeah glanced through it and it almost seemed too good to be true. I mean this thing nails it pretty much. If this is real I would even go out on a limb and say the FAA 'Gets It" - which is a 180 for many others I'm sure. Don't like the Los only in the micro category though for rotocross' sake...which is nitpicking considering the importance of the rest of the document. Maybe we will hear confirmations tomorrow morning???

Media Advisory – DOT and FAA Announce New Rules for Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Print
February 14, 2015
WHEN: 10 a.m., Sunday, February 15, 2015
WHO: Conference Call with U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx and FAA Administrator Michael Huerta
The call-in number for the call is (800) 230-1059. The operator will ask you what you're calling in for. Tell the operator you are calling in for the DOT Press Briefing. There will be an opportunity to ask questions at the end. To ask a question press *1.
###

https://www.faa.gov/news/media_advisories/news_story.cfm?newsId=18294

Hmmmm...number does not seem to work.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Looks like good progress is being made. They just had the announcement with a few questions. CNN was the most negative. They dodged the question as to how soon they might be able to implement this. They also dodged the question on Amazon deliveries, but in the 79page pdm, it says no to dropping anything. Open period now for comments.

Dylan M

Which Switch...
I'm optimistically pessimistic...

This is the best response.

If anything feel like it is too vague on too many things. The last thing we need is a bunch of people with starter quads(read: phantoms) that don't understand their own equipment. They have the potential to do more damage to the industry than anything else... some would argue they already have.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
This is the best response.

If anything feel like it is too vague on too many things. The last thing we need is a bunch of people with starter quads(read: phantoms) that don't understand their own equipment. They have the potential to do more damage to the industry than anything else... some would argue they already have.

regulations have the potential to raise the bar just enough to make operating commercially an effort that they won't want to pursue while also enabling dedicated professionals to get back to work. in everything there will be a spectrum of people involved and now it will become the job of consumers to make informed decisions.

this is where industry groups will begin to play a part, informing the public as to what they should be looking for when hiring a pro aerial team and what questions they should be asking before offering a contract for services.

we're not on an island here, there will be steps forward and steps back but hopefully more forward than back! let's all do our best to keep it safe and to stay off the evening news!

Old Man

I agree with Bart. I also believe the responses to the NPRM incorporated into the final law version will dampen some of the Phantom Fervor. With a little luck there will be just enough additions/alterations to discourage those not truly dedicated to craft. We'll still have a few that ignore any and all laws and safety but with a little monitoring and enforcement they will find penalties to be painful enough to cease their follies. The true professionals have never been the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfro

Aerial Fun
I found it interesting as to the response from Amazon. There response that I read struck me as being a bit arrogant. Weren't going to take no for an answer, it's their right and best for their customers.

In our paper today, one of our Senators from NY, Chuck Shumer, got behind the Amazon effort. Said it would be good for us etc. etc etc.

Think I will write to the FAA and voice my support for their logical and common sense approach. I think it's a great starting point.

Old Man

Looks like we might be seeing push back from the corporations that have been lobbying the for years to hold the market high ground through the regulatory process. Please do write.

Old Man

I don't see the NPRM impacting the hobby side at all. If there's any future impact on the hobby side such would probably be self induced.

Section 6 of the NPRM references model aviation activities as excluded from part 107 as long as they play within the rules of section 333 of Public Law 112-95. Section 6 starts on page 45 of the NPRM. There are some caveats though. Model flyers must abide by the rules in section 333, all of the rules, or they will be classified as falling under Part 107 regulations. The section mentions the requirement to meet ALL the 333 requirements to remain qualified within the amateur/hobby classification several times. So learning what Section 6 lays out as the requirements in order to comply with all of them is something the amateur modeler will want to do. It specifically states "the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community based organization".

Where aero modeling could run into trouble, even following the other section 333 requirements, is with "careless and reckless operations, right of way rules for converging aircraft, violations of TFR's, and violating other designated airspace requirements. The converging aircraft rule will be interesting since both commercial sUAS and amateur models are considered aircraft. Everyone will have to play by full scale rules for aircraft right of way. When a model and an sUAS are converging, both operators better know the rules on how to prevent a collision. Might want to operate the commercial and amateur stuff at different locations. OTH, I doubt the situation between models and sUAS will have any more visibility that it has in the past, which is virtually none.

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
I don't see much of anything being detrimental. As the MR's grow in capabilities and popularity, there needs to be some common sense on how we use these both as hobbyist and in commercial. I don't see anything but good in their proposal. Sure there will be changes and fine tuning, but this is a greats start IMO.