FAA may get Drones Right.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I will read it later also. One thing that stood out in the Forbes article, and if I remember, it was an opinion, is that the FAA is looking to come up with some common sense regs that can be enforced and that some of the responsibility is going to be put on the operator. They talk about the many beneficial uses of drones.

All in all, seems pretty reasonable to me if this is what get's implemented.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
There is an awful lot of 'the sky is falling on us' with regards to the FAA's approach. Now I will be the first to admit that I haven't followed what is going on in any detail but given the way the rest of the world is with regard drones and the reality of the risk they actually pose (rather than perceived risk), I can't see the FAA being too draconian by the time they come out with their regs. Their only fault to date is the amount of time it is taking them to get there. Let's be honest, if there is way to make a buck or two then you Americans are pretty adept at enabling this so I can't really see the FAA putting massive brakes on this. Also, they will have to work in conjunction with ICAO on this who also has to look at other nations. In short I would be surprised if the end result was all doom and gloom. Now then, I shall stand back and wait for the fireworks to come my way!

jfro

Aerial Fun
There has been a lot of mis-direction with the few "professional" licenses. Those companies have had to jump through hoops, been severely restricted in what they can and can't do, and pilots had to have pilots licenses. Applications are a mile long and complicated.

This, if it comes to pass, will be manageable. People that do stupid things or accidents where damage is done, will probably end up in civil or criminal charges.

tstrike

pendejo grande
I'm an opponent of all this hullabaloo, but this isn't that bad. Looks to be about 5 grand all in to go through all the hoops. All information for testing will be made available online, ship will have to be registered, TSA vetting, etc. The numbers they present show max applicants would occur in the first year then decrease which I find interesting for such a growth industry. It does alleviate some of the worry that the FAA wouldn't see the safety benefits of drones.

Old Man

Let's all hope this is true. As of 20:30 Pacific last night the FAA document had not been posted on the NPRM releases docket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jfro

Aerial Fun
I'm an opponent of all this hullabaloo, but this isn't that bad. Looks to be about 5 grand all in to go through all the hoops. All information for testing will be made available online, ship will have to be registered, TSA vetting, etc. The numbers they present show max applicants would occur in the first year then decrease which I find interesting for such a growth industry. It does alleviate some of the worry that the FAA wouldn't see the safety benefits of drones.

I just read the Forbes, will read the FAA later. I did not get the idea it would be that expensive. I've a drivers license, I have a boating license, both of which took classes and tests. Didn't spend anywhere near that amount. My car can or a jet ski can do a lot more dam ate than a 5, 10, or 20lb MR.

How or why do you think it's going to be 5k?

Old Man

Even at 5k it would work. No pilot's license, no ASTM requirements, I think, and general use regulations. Sounds too good to be true. Keep the fingers crossed such an NPRM is actually released.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Even at 5k it would work. No pilot's license, no ASTM requirements, I think, and general use regulations. Sounds too good to be true. Keep the fingers crossed such an NPRM is actually released.

Only seems to good to be true because we are used to a government that is run by special interest groups and money. The open internet ruling and this gives me hope that maybe things can turn around, ie, if this does turn out to be true.

Maybe common sense is being reborn after 231 years.

This is tremendous news. To have such a reasonable, logical set of regs would be incredible. And the upfront costs are negligible. Let's hope this pans out.

nick

keensg

President, geoResource Technologies, Inc.
On page 70 they break down the cost for the whole process including mileage allowance to drive to a test center.
My bad, it's around 5800.00 or there abouts.

I believe you are reading Table 19 incorrectly. It is a summary of the total costs (+/- $5,800,000) and not individual costs (see the 000 in the column heading). They mention a Knowledge Test costing $150 and "The estimated out-of-pocket cost for a small UAS operator to be FAA-certified is less than $300." So Table 19 is not particularly relevant to an individual.

tstrike

pendejo grande
I believe you are reading Table 19 incorrectly. It is a summary of the total costs (+/- $5,800,000) and not individual costs (see the 000 in the column heading). They mention a Knowledge Test costing $150 and "The estimated out-of-pocket cost for a small UAS operator to be FAA-certified is less than $300." So Table 19 is not particularly relevant to an individual.
Yes, I spoke out of turn. The whole Time Resource and Opportunity cost is an average of what someone would be out of pocket if they were paid to travel, test, get vetted, fill out forms, etc. I'll delete that price, but if any of this is true, it's going to give a lot of the little guys hope that maybe they can get a small business off the ground-nyuk nyuk.

Edit: Where do you see less than 300.00 out of pocket? I guess it's still in the comment period so all this is just speculation

Last edited by a moderator:

keensg

President, geoResource Technologies, Inc.
Yes, I spoke out of turn. The whole Time Resource and Opportunity cost is an average of what someone would be out of pocket if they were paid to travel, test, get vetted, fill out forms, etc. I'll delete that price, but if any of this is true, it's going to give a lot of the little guys hope that maybe they can get a small business off the ground-nyuk nyuk.

Edit: Where do you see less than 300.00 out of pocket? I guess it's still in the comment period so all this is just speculation

VI. BENEFIT – COST CONCLUSION - Page 64

janoots2

Yeah glanced through it and it almost seemed too good to be true. I mean this thing nails it pretty much. If this is real I would even go out on a limb and say the FAA 'Gets It" - which is a 180 for many others I'm sure. Don't like the Los only in the micro category though for rotocross' sake...which is nitpicking considering the importance of the rest of the document. Maybe we will hear confirmations tomorrow morning???

Media Advisory – DOT and FAA Announce New Rules for Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Print
February 14, 2015
WHEN: 10 a.m., Sunday, February 15, 2015
WHO: Conference Call with U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx and FAA Administrator Michael Huerta
The call-in number for the call is (800) 230-1059. The operator will ask you what you're calling in for. Tell the operator you are calling in for the DOT Press Briefing. There will be an opportunity to ask questions at the end. To ask a question press *1.
###

https://www.faa.gov/news/media_advisories/news_story.cfm?newsId=18294

janoots2

A Sunday morning press announcement is out of the norm for any organization...if I had to guess, this leak lit a fire

jfro

Aerial Fun
I just finished reading the whole thing. Very well written and thought out. The inital test price and retesting every two years is reasonable. Cost of registering you MR is reasonable. They state that some cost that the Government and FAA may incur may later be passed on, but for the initial years, it looks like it will hold.

I esp. liked the part where they talked about pre flight checks being dependent on the MR, mainly relating to the size and cost of the MR. The more expensive the aircraft, the more time the operator would spend on checking out his aricraft to protect his investment.

They also acknowledged that information would be made available online, as 80% already is and the additional training materials for the unmanned aircraft would be added at minimal cost.

Basically, you pay for the TSA to check you out, pay to take the test, pay to register, pay to get your MR registered and get the ID numbers.

I think they have simplified it and made it very realistic. One part I think will or should be expanded is the TSA vetting. Maybe every, 3-4 years in stead of it being for longer periods of time. Don't think homeland security is going to give anyone a lifetime pass once they get registered.

FPV is shut down, as is delivering beer, pizza, and anything else.

All in all, I hope this pans out as being correct. There assessments of different applications seems pretty grounded.