FAA Announces Small UAS Registration Rule

Old Man

I've searched and can't find them to download

Go here: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certifi...cation/aircraft_registry/aircraft_regn_forms/

Open each document number you want to download or print. Near the top right corner there is a selection choice of "Print" or "Share". Select either if one of them is your choice. Scroll to the bottom of the web page and you will see a heading named "Content". Click the blue colored text to open the document. It opens as a PDF, which you can download.

I should mention that if you are registering an sUAS for commercial purposes it will follow the same path as a full scale aircraft. Through commercial registration you are personally certifying that aircraft. The hobby grade stuff doesn't get to experience all those requirements--yet.

Old Man

The full scale registration process is what is referenced in the 333 waiver approval/request to obtain your hull numbers.

Vection

There's a fly in my Zen
I ran across a website offering drone registration for essentially $24 plus the $5 FAA fee. They offer a custom made label for an additional $10. I suspect it's a scam designed to snag noobs. Check it out at:
www.drone-registration.net/‎

If I'm off base let me know...

edibill

Who enforces the law? If I'm out in my field flying can the local sheriff stop by and inspect my quad for registration numbers?

Vection

There's a fly in my Zen
Yeah, You're basically buying a sticker for $35, plus they have your personal info to boot.

I was trying to emphasize that that website is trying to divert money into their pockets when people can just as easily, and much cheaper, do it through the FAA. That's why I'm calling it a scam site.

I just visited the site again and they have taken down any mention of money from the front page. I should have kept a copy of it... my bad.

Don't get me wrong, this registration............crap..............is just that...crap. But when you think about how their minds work (FBI, CIA, NSA, SS, FAA, anything military, ET AL), especially with the "terrorist threat"... with FPV our hobby is now a delivery system in their eyes. They just don't want to come out and say it and inspire some terrorist. But if I can think of it...:(:(:( Eventually that is what will kill the hobby.

The AMA got shut out from the "Commission" because they didn't bring big money to the table. But Walmart (Profits before People) got a seat, a company that doesn't know squat about our hobby. What's that tell you? Yet one more example that Washington no longer listens to the citizens. If only we had the power of the NRA... is that good or disquieting... I used to respect the NRA.

glider

Is anyone familiar with what's going on at DJI?
http://www.dji.com/mobile/flysafe/geo-system/details#intro-geo
Discussion here: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=38482&fromuid=51556

kLW7upW.jpg

I have not registered and don't plan on it unless Congress reigns in FAA and forces them to do this right and legal. However, if the above becomes the norm for my AC stuff too, I'm done with the hobby, period.

Old Man

Anyone that uses an FC that also uses GPS needs to think carefully before they perform their next software upgrade. If you don't want massively over sized no flight zones imposed upon your flight control system, DO NOT update your software. If it flies good now, it's not broken so don't fix it, and don't buy anything from manufactures that add flight restrictions to their FC's.

The only thing they understand is money so perhaps if people express their displeasure by not buying their stuff an impact on their revenue stream will be felt and get their attention. I wonder how much input DJI's new legal counsel had with the flight restriction idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
or just go back to the more basic tried and true systems that proved themselves before the rush to high technology took over.

or, operate responsibly and be a mature participant in the community of airspace users. every pilot submits to the FAA in pursuing manned flight and the various systems work incredibly well. for whatever reason there's a persistent attitude with unmanned aircraft that it's a right to send our aircraft up into the sky however and whenever we'd like. without imposing limits on ourselves we're bound to have them imposed by the FAA. with the FAA making the rules there will be organizations lobbying to have those rules favor some over others. we're not there for these discussions so guess who gets the sh*t end of the stick? small unmanned aircraft operators, hobbyists mostly.

when a pilot straps in and starts up, he/she accepts ultimate responsibility for EVERY part of the operation. a few more rules here or there won't change the meaning of the word EVERY so regulation just is what it is. unmanned aircraft pilots are being subjected to the same level of scrutiny and for some it puts them outside of their comfort zone. maybe the AMA will be successful in enforcing what Congress did to shield RC hobby operators from further regulation but, if anyone's paying attention, the FAA likely won't stop there and this drama will continue.

or maybe we'll see a shift of attitudes at the FAA in this new year?? who wants to wager on that one?? lol

Bartman

maybe a letter writing campaign to the White House could cause a tectonic shift in attitudes at the FAA? it was pressure from the White House and Congress that moved the FAA to loosen things up as much as they did in 2014 when the regulatory log jam finally started to ease.

Bartman

The US based Airline Pilots' Association (one of the unions representing airline pilots in the US and elsewhere around the world, of which I am a member) just released their Jan 1 blastmail and in it was this promoting point-of-sale registration

A safety issue that has made holiday season headlines was the Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) announcement late last month that anyone purchasing a small unmanned aircraft system (UAS) must register atRegister My UAS. While it's not included in the FAA's new rule, ALPA feels strongly that registration of UAS at the point of sale must be made mandatory. Doing so will help the FAA reinforce the responsibility associated with owning a UAS and enhance the overall safety of air transportation. ALPA will stay the course in pressing for important safety regulations, including UAS owner registration at the point of sale and a mandate that requires geo-fencing and the installation of collision-avoidance capabilities on devices that have the capability to stray into the national airspace. ALPA has filed comments in both the United States and Canada regarding the Notice for Proposed Rulemaking and Notice for Proposed Amendment, respectively, regarding small UAS, and we are calling for additional standards and guidance that must be developed to achieve the desired level of safety in the national airspace.

Bartman

with technology being what it is maybe the solution should be a GPS users' license where you have to put your GPS licensing code into your flight controller's firmware to make the GPS capabilities active. no GPS, no registration, no problems for hobbyist fixed wing and single rotor users.

i could probably reach out to the guys at ALPA that staff this committee and see about injecting a few new ideas into the mix.