FAA Announces Small UAS Registration Rule

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i'm not loving the idea of registering but i'm not sending in pennies or quarters nor would i love seeing the site being used to promote that.

had we all spoke up more when people did and said stupid tings we might, as a community, have avoided overreach on the part of the FAA.

Old Man

Bart,

I agree with you about the avoidance and method of payment thing but I believe the members on this site have been more proactive in their own ways than most in any other Internet blog related to the subject. With the exception of other pro level forums of course. Perhaps all that's left is the grousing that's always associated with what many perceive to be unnecessary changes. We all knew that change was coming due to the proliferation of ready made, easy to fly aircraft. It had to.

F

fengshuidrone

I'm still paying with these extra quarters if I can. It's better for ME. I don't care if they like it or not. The government is the one forcing me to ante up so they can take what I have to give them,which is some extra quarters. They are sitting here in my bottle next to the couch just waiting to be spent on something that I consider petty enough to spend them on. They have been there too long now because everything that I do from day to day needs more cash than this petty $5.00 fee that I'm supposed to get back so why pay it in the first place thing. Besides, if they don't take cash, what will they take from the 12 year old who has to register his first home built drone? They are going to allow smart 12 year old's to still fly I hope? If this smart 12 year old's parents are anything like mine they would make me pay my own $5.00. When I was twelve I paid for most of my stuff with quarters.

Last edited:

sledge57

Bought my pre-paid Visa card today, $5 goes to them the other $20 goes in my gas tank.

Not giving the FAA my credit card number, I'm sure they can't refund the $5 back to a pre-paid card, don't care, $5 lost is better than what it could be when CC info gets stolen.

Cheap insurance....

Av8Chuck

i'm not loving the idea of registering but i'm not sending in pennies or quarters nor would i love seeing the site being used to promote that.

had we all spoke up more when people did and said stupid tings we might, as a community, have avoided overreach on the part of the FAA.

Some of us spoke up loudly and often way before any of this crap started and were pretty much told to shut up if I remember correctly...

http://www.acuas.org/

Bartman

i don't believe you were told to shut up, that's quite an overdramatization. many people spoke up loudly in a variety of ways and I don't recall you being very willing to help push unless it was your car we were pushing.

Av8Chuck

We built a website, produced the video, tried to get you to support our efforts to get others to join but you wanted everyone to support the Small UAV Coalition and Brendan Schulman.

How did that Coalition thing work out? Lets see, what happened to Brendan Schulman "the Drone Lawyer? Oh, he became the lead counsel for DJI. Not that he totally sold out but he was certainly a part of developing the FAA registration policy.

As for my car I don't know what the hell your talking about? I have about 60 cars, your going to have to be a bit more specific.

Bartman

I missed you too Chuck, not impressed though if that's the effect you were shooting for.

From what I heard, you and the ACUAS weren't the happy, functioning house you'd like us to believe. It seemed to me at the time you weren't much of a team player there either. Small UAV Coalition was ready and able (and was run by a well respected lobbying firm in DC with major players all contributing) to take us in, we just needed to raise the scratch to buy in.

Not a hard choice although i certainly took the time to give you a guys a chance to get going.

F

fengshuidrone

I should just let this thread die like it deserves to but after reading the figures relating to expected model lifespan and stuff like that, it's clear to see that the govt. thinks that we fly every day for hours and hours, none of us can fly, none of us own more than one craft. Well, 1 and a half craft. I have already had one quad for over two years using the same motors. They fail to even take into account the time in flight hours, instead insisting the average quad lasts less than a year due to crashes and breakage.
I believe most aviation related maintenance schedules are based on flight hours and not years owned. This just shows me the lack of thought being put into these new regulations. http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/media/2015-12-13_2120-AK82_RIA.pdf

SamaraMedia

Not to beat a dead horse but I thought it was within a 5 mile radius of an airport -
As recently as August 2015, the FAA investigated reports by four pilots who spotted an unmanned aircraft flying between eight and
thirteen miles from the approach to Newark Liberty International Airport.

F

fengshuidrone

I went to sign up my drones to get a stupid number and there is no link to do it yet. It's 6:53 am here. Last time I checked the 21st started at midnight. wtf???

ProfEngr

That far out, weren't they violating the height restriction? That's assuming the pilots actually saw a "drone."

ProfEngr

I went to sign up my drones to get a stupid number and there is no link to do it yet. It's 6:53 am here. Last time I checked the 21st started at midnight. wtf???

Yeah, and this is fed dot gov you're referring to. Behind schedule and over-budget is the norm.

F

fengshuidrone

This being the shortest day of the year, they have about 7 more hours for that statement to be truthful. After 5:00 Pm, it's night.

Old Man

AT 06:15 on the Left Coast the FAA system was not yet operational. The web page states it will go live sometime today, the 21st.

The full scale registration links all work though....