FAA Announces Small UAS Registration Rule

econfly

Apart from this being useless (nobody intending harm will register; those just being stupid likely will be ignorant of the registration requirement), a first step of many likely incremental controls, and a waste of time and resources, my primary concern is that this process gets us on "the list" of people who get a visit when some idiot crashes an unregistered craft in our area. Then we get to try to prove the unregistered craft is not ours.

Yeah I'm not in love with any of this. It's easy and not restrictive but they can always change the rules later and make it more restrictive once they get everyone registered. Typical behavior for the Govt. Not like it matters anyways. Its a requirement so we should comply. I will ponder it for a couple weeks and then likely sign up like a good citizen. I worry more about nosy busybodies snitching me off more than the Govt persecuting me so I shouldn't really complain.

Old Man

Yeah I'm not in love with any of this. It's easy and not restrictive but they can always change the rules later and make it more restrictive once they get everyone registered.

Such actions are assured. Since there is currently no way to track a "drone" in flight it only makes sense that registration is the first step in mandating the incorporation of flight tracking systems on our aircraft. It will grow exponentially from there. It gets even more interesting when you consider there are no training requirements for "drone" operators, no licensing requirements for "drone" operators, and no requirements for sellers of "drones" and their associated equipment to provide any form of education to the buyers. All that makes FAA and/or NTSB enforcement actions pretty difficult to conduct. It can easily be argued that a drone operator is not a pilot and that the FAA failed in their duty to educate the flying public. They don't have a training syllabus in place to violate.

dark_star

the good old days were gone a while ago. but now, without question, the good old days are 100% gone. i am thankful to at least have been part of the good old days. :D

SamaraMedia

I printed all 211 pages today! I'm heading upstairs in a few minutes to start reading!

211 pages? So much for simple and easy, at least that's what they want you to believe. Just like any software or app you download, who ever reads all the paperwork in the agreement? That's how they get us to give it all away. Be interesting to see what hidden gems you uncover.

Like econfly said, just the first step...

This does nothing to educate the consumers that will buy a "drone" going forward and how will they enforce it if you don't register? I'm not a fan of the process and will likely "comply" with the registration since I've already embarked on the path of earning a sport pilots license to apply for a Section 333, but I've become less accepting of the irresponsible actions by the average "drone" operator.

As Old Man states, this does nothing to educate - "no training requirements for "drone" operators, no licensing requirements for "drone" operators, and no requirements for sellers of "drones" and their associated equipment to provide any form of education to the buyers. All that makes FAA and/or NTSB enforcement actions pretty difficult to conduct. It can easily be argued that a drone operator is not a pilot and that the FAA failed in their duty to educate the flying public."

Time will tell if this will have any effect on the safety of our NAS or if "everyone" will register their "aircraft".

SamaraMedia

Thanks for sharing.

He makes some good points, especially for someone who makes his living off gear that allows you to fly way BLOS. I had the pleasure to meet him and watch him fly this summer at NAFPV in upper state NY. The knowledge, passion and skill he demonstrated to all that weekend was great. From absolute newbies to all out FPV racers, he had good advice for all.

The fines and jail terms they are calling for are extreme which calls into the fear factor but realistically, how many people have been charged with any of the current fines, $10000, other than Trappy? Maybe now that they have set "rules" for registration they will have more meat to back their punishment, I don't know. I will just try to live my life under the guidelines my parents taught me and hopefully that will be sufficient.

Old Man

Trappy won his case at several levels. What he paid the FAA was more like how one deals with a hooker, he paid them to go away.

econfly

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/12/14/drone-registry-faa/77275676/
Penalties for failing to register could reach $27,500 in civil fines and $250,000 and three years in prison for criminal penalties. But Michael Whitaker, deputy administrator of FAA, said initial efforts will be to get everyone signed up rather than to punish owners, unless it is an egregious incident.

But, it's just a harmless and simple little registration system. It's only $5. Well, unless you fail to comply. But these fine public servants don't really want to put you in prison for 3 years. Not at all. Really.

I'm on the fence. I may just sell it all and find a new hobby.

ProfEngr

I like the idea of a legal challenge to the legality of what the FAA has done. I can see thousands of human 'drones' just walking in lockstep to the registration site. While lots of us who would otherwise drive innovation in the field either pack it in or just not enter in the 1st place. So much for not stifling innovation as they claimed in the PDF. This 'ruling' has cronyism written all over it.

Even the FAA admits it's merely a punitive, money-making system since anyone can fly w/o registration if they choose. It might help with accountability if John Q makes a mistake, but it can't track down an owner if they're not in sight after an incident.

sledge57

The only thing I'm happy about is the fact you register once as a pilot of a uav and all your models are covered under that, so I assume all my aircraft carry the same number. This makes the process easier and now I probably will register.

If I had to register each and every craft, well I either wouldn't or would get out completely.....

From FAA
"Do I have to register each of my RC aircraft separately?
No. For those of you who have dozen's of aircraft, you register once as a pilot you will receive a registration number that must be displayed on all of your aircraft. As a pilot you will need to give your name, home address and email address."

sledge57

The forum needs a vomit emoji.

Well you asked for it,
078_zpsel44b6oz.gif

I have a couple others that seem appropriate for anytime the govt gets involved with anything...
nutkick.gif

or
banahump.gif

Doug
Rotoghoul.gif

Old Man

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/12/14/drone-registry-faa/77275676/

But, it's just a harmless and simple little registration system. It's only $5. Well, unless you fail to comply. But these fine public servants don't really want to put you in prison for 3 years. Not at all. Really.

I'm on the fence. I may just sell it all and find a new hobby.

The U.S. imprisons more people per capita than any other country in the world. Perhaps they DO like putting people in prison. It's a great way to keep tax rates up and employ a lot of people on government payrolls.

What makes no sense at all is charging someone $5.00 just to give it back to them if they register during the early period. That's fiscally irresponsible because it will cost more than $5.00 per registration to give the money back. Of course I'll register, I have a passport, been registered as a HazMat carrier, held a commercial driver's license, been deployed as a civilian contractor, which also put my DNA in their system, have a pilot's license, regular driver's license, own a registered firearm, have a CCW, and all my personal data has been hacked from the OPM by the Chinese. Since they already have everything there is to know about me on file at multiple levels already, what's one more? Hell, the IRS has been tracking everyone's credit card activities for the last couple years so just what do we have to hide? Then again as a registered Conservative that owns "drones" and firearms I should probably expect issues with the IRS as we get closer to the elections....

Old Man

The Charlie Sheen approach, "I don't pay women for sex, I pay them to go home"

Exactly, there's no whining in the morning about still respecting or questions about love. "Waaay off topic, but I was given a gift certificate to Donna's Ranch in Wells, Nevada a looong time ago. No joke, it really happened. Made me think about just how much that stuff actually costs, both as a bachelor and later in marriage.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I heard (on another forum and unsubstantiated) that the $5 would be a credit card charge that they refund you, but would serve as another way to verify the person registering.....

So just to clarify, Its not exactly free the first month? I still have to pay and then they refund me later? Kind of like those damn mail in rebates?

Old Man

Pretty much, but where's the law that states a person has to have a credit card before they are considered a real person to the government? The requirement of a Social Security number pretty much handles that. Parts of this law stink to high heaven. Perhaps the card and the SS number info are passed on to the IRS to link them together. When you consider the personal info files for millions of people that applied for a security clearance were hacked in a government database by the Chinese you might wonder how secure that credit card account info will be maintained by the same people that left the door open the last time..