F550 with Avroto motors - weird proplem, help please!

Ok I have a F550 with extended arms, Avroto motors and 11x5.5E props
I'm using 2 5000mah packs in parallel
NAZA+GPS flight controller.

OK my problem is a lack of power, and Hexa looking like it wants to tip over on takeoff. on ATTI mode, I move the throttle a little above half way, and the motors are spinning but the hexa will not lift off. More throttle and it starts to lean to one side like it will tip over. The motors also seem to be "pulsating" a little, like they get more power at some times, compared to others. The weird thing is It flew fine with my sunnysky 2216 800kv motors I had on there before. All I did was swap the sunnysky's with Avroto's because the sunnysky's were getting warm. All motors are rotating correctly, and I'm pretty stumped on what I should do now to fix this now. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Edit: Could this be a gain issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok thanks ill try that later.. probably wont get to until tomorrow. I never tried manual.. ever... I might crash it lol

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, don't do that

if that's worse, bump it up. i dunno what you have here. The reving could be bad connections to wrong timing kinds of settings. Things you can't adjust.

DesJardins

I would double check the bullet connectors to make sure your motors are spinning the correct way, had that one happen once on a quick swap!

Thanks for the input guys! I triple checked the motors and they all spin the right way, with the right props. It may just be the gains, i'm hoping.. I haven't had a chance to test it though it's been raining all morning.

Thanks for the help guy, just posting because I found my problem! I swapped out the APC 11x5.5Eprops with 11x4.7SF and it flies fine now. Weird, didn't think props could cause those kinds of symptoms. Threw on the slow fly props and it flies perfectly! Maybe some slight gain adjustments to make, but all is good. Loving these motors, so much power.

kloner

Aerial DP
that's wild such a small difference changed it that much..... The one here is 11x5 graupner, still haven't flown it yet but i can't wait to check it out

jforkner

Thanks for the help guy, just posting because I found my problem! I swapped out the APC 11x5.5Eprops with 11x4.7SF and it flies fine now. Weird, didn't think props could cause those kinds of symptoms. Threw on the slow fly props and it flies perfectly! Maybe some slight gain adjustments to make, but all is good. Loving these motors, so much power.

Gotta believe something else is going on. My hexa with Avrotos flies fine on both 3S & 4S with APC 12x3.8SFs & 12x6Es. I settled on 4S & 12x6Es for more lifting power, but the other combinations worked fine. BTW, DJI 30A ESCs & Naza.

Jack

I agree, it seems really weird. I didn't expect that to fix it and was really surprised, but it really flies awesome now. I do have a set of APC 12x6E's i could try as well, maybe I got a bad 11x5.5E or something.. I did not balance the props as I don't have a prop balancer yet, maybe that could contribute. With the 11x5.5E's, some of the arms would start to vibrate very bad at higher throttle, and the motors seemed to pulsate (slow down and speed back up). I started checking all my solder joints and everything looked good, and finnaly I just swapped the props and wow, it works! I may test the 12x6E's later, but it's flying so well now, I It's hard to make myself mess with it lol.

ovnilab

That's not true..respectfully.

are you using 3S or 4S? 3S wont work as 2814 is only 700KV, need 4S

Hi, this is not accurate. I own the avrotos and fly my F550 with both 3s 5000 mah and 6200 4s during the same flying sessions.

Not only that, the Avrotos spec sheets rate them at 32 or 4s.

Cheers!

kloner

Aerial DP
all flight controllers have a sweet spot to hover at,,,, in a dji product they need midstick manual hovering or there just not smooth....... theres no way to bump up 4.2 volts without affecting that on the same props. It might leave the ground, but it aint gonna be the best it can be

rcollie

Hi, Just out of interest what are the Avroto Motors? And do you know where to buy them? I know aerial media pros do that kit but im seeing if I can get it cheaper?

Thanks

Hi, Just out of interest what are the Avroto Motors? And do you know where to buy them? I know aerial media pros do that kit but im seeing if I can get it cheaper?

Thanks
http://montorc.com/M2814Shaft.aspx
Got mine there. Thinking of upgrading my frame/motors so I might be selling mine soon.
Good motors, best for the money. If you had to go cheaper, sunny sky has a 800kv and 700kv motor of the same size. I own a set of sunnysky's and they are good motors too.

SamaraMedia

I was looking at the SunnySky 2814 700kv's instead of the Avroto's to save some money but haven't heard much about them. I have a F550 with AV130 gimbal, Sony HDR CX580V video camera running 5000mAh 4s at about 3200g in flight form. Would the Sunny's be ok?

John