F550 Successful Maiden Flight, thanks for your Help- some more Questions, next steps

meme

Hello to all,

for first, big thanks to all wo helped me in my previous Thread where i had problems to arm the Motors. Terry from Dji connected via Teamviewer and figured out the Error-i had to reverse the E-Channel. I've learned a lot from you guys, and your assistance was heart - warming :) If you join the Dolomites, drop me a line and come over :nevreness:

I had a crash free maiden flight:

... and some questions again:
- As you see in the Vid, the Led is Blinking for Voltage Warning: I fly 3000 and 3300 4s for now, wich Values do i have to set in the Voltage Monitor?
- Double Sparking Led: In every Flight Modus the blue or yellow Light is double sparking... can't figure out why? Is that a problem? Following to the Manual Sticks are not at center/speed command is not at zero, what does that mean?
- 3 Way Switch/ Failsafe: After switching in Flight from Atti to M and the Hexa started like a Rocket in the sky i decided to set the 3-way switch to GPS-ATTI-Failsafe Any Problem with that? I do not think that i need Manual Mode for now...
-Failsafe: In the DJI Assistant, when i shut down the TX the Marker moves to Failsafe. R,E,A are at Center and T at Zero to the left. Is that ok? Should i try to switch to Failsafe in Flight? Will s**t my pants doing that :)

Next Steps: I love FPV and filming, i`ve started with that couple months ago with a Wing, here`s a short Vid:

For now i have ordered two different 2 Axis stabilized Gimbals with LG:
One from Jakub at www.quadframe.com and one from X468. Will report about those 2 Gimbals. I`d also try the Gimbal from GGoodrum, when he is ready for ship this Gimbal.

Cheers,

meme

Last edited by a moderator:

zx12rcarl

hia dont no about your wookong but with my naza yellow Light double flash i think means im useing the control sticks and when i let go it just flash one yellow
maybe someone out there with a wookong can help you.... just had to post to say love the fpv video looks brill fun and fpv is on my next todo list :)

meme

hia dont no about your wookong but with my naza yellow Light double flash i think means im useing the control sticks and when i let go it just flash one yellow
maybe someone out there with a wookong can help you.... just had to post to say love the fpv video looks brill fun and fpv is on my next todo list :)

Yeah! FPV will give you a Blast! I flew Paragliders for many Years and own a GPL. But no such fun as diving down some Mountains in FPV, really.
As to the Double Sparks: The double spark even when i am not touching the TX...

meme

Topper

Hi Meme,

some answers right now:

- Double Sparking Led: In every Flight Modus the blue or yellow Light is double sparking... can't figure out why? Is that a problem? Following to the Manual Sticks are not at center/speed command is not at zero, what does that mean?

That actual means you are flying and the sticks are not all at Center position, so while you move your stickst this indication is expected. If you are in GPS mode and all sticks are centered you should only get single blinks. Same for ATTI mode. If you look at the TX calibraton page single flash means all sliders are green. The catch window even for T is so smal that most time you will be short above or below, but that does not matter.

- 3 Way Switch/ Failsafe: After switching in Flight from Atti to M and the Hexa started like a Rocket in the sky i decided to set the 3-way switch to GPS-ATTI-Failsafe Any Problem with that? I do not think that i need Manual Mode for now...

If you dont use Manual its OK to configure the 3-way switch that way. In Manual the baro sensor is off so by the actual weight its normal that the Hexa goes quite quick up to the sky.

-Failsafe: In the DJI Assistant, when i shut down the TX the Marker moves to Failsafe. R,E,A are at Center and T at Zero to the left. Is that ok? Should i try to switch to Failsafe in Flight? Will s**t my pants doing that :)

Sonds good apart from T to Zero, when I switch the radio off all Sticks go to Center and slider to Failsave. You might need to setup failsave in your Radio propper. Current with T to Zero i suggest not to switch off your radio

I will give you latee on some info regarding the power warning adjustment.

Rgds Topper

Topper

regarding the Voltage Monitor:

- As you see in the Vid, the Led is Blinking for Voltage Warning: I fly 3000 and 3300 4s for now, wich Values do i have to set in the Voltage Monitor?

That is not a question to answer straight. I try with some advice to guide you into the right direction.

1[SUP]st[/SUP]: please calibrate the WKM voltage sensor: Measure the LIPO voltage with a multi meter and match this with the calibration button in the Voltage Monitor (Assistant Tool)

A full charged 4 S LIPO has 16.8 volts (4,2 volts per Zell), the absolute minimum is 13,2 volts (3,3 volts per Zell), from there your LIPO and Hexa is under a big risk. The average advice is to leave 20% capacity in the LIPO and not fly them close to zero, this give them a longer life and you less risk. Your usable bandwidth is 2,56 volt as a summary from: 3,2 volt (0.9 volt per cell) minus 20% rest lo leave in the LIPO = 0.64 volt (0,16 volts per cell)

Ideal you would now put in the WKM assistant tool: warning at 14.42 for a 4S LIPO

Unfortunately it’s is not that easy mate. While your Hexa is flying /hover, voltage will drop (I think in your current setup 0,6 volts) The most easy way to get that number is to attach a LIPO monitor/guard to your balancer adapter and fly in GPS Mode in front of you and see how much the voltage drop.

Settings advice for you to start:

First Level Protection no load 14.42 loss 0,6
Second Level protection14.00 loss 0,6

Fly with a full charged LIPO and just hover in front of you. When the First level protection kicks in, land straight and reload the LIPO. If you load ~80% of capacity back to it then you found a good setting, if not you have to adjust again. Keep in mind if you far away from yourself you need time to come back home, so the settings needs to be adjusted for more buffer. Flying in minus temperatures will cause a way shorter flight time. Higher payload will raise the voltage loss number.

The most effective monitoring you can get is external telemetry with accurate sensors as example Jeti, Hott etc. They let you set individual alarms for Voltage,AMP’s actual A usage etc.

Rgds Topper

meme

Hello Topper, thank you for your Big Help!
I have setted the Voltage Monitor now and has some Test, following your Instructions. Now i have Yellow LED at 30% of Lipo Capacity, what`s perfect fore me.

During the Flights i`ve encounterd some issues....
1) The Baro is not working correctly in IMO. I am not able to Hover.... With Throttle Stick at 50% +/- 1 Stop the DJI moves slowly up/or down. No way to keep the Hight. Also Strange: When i hover at 5 Feet an push by hand the Hexa up on the Bottom Plate he goes up for about 10 feets, then comes down (slowly), touches the ground and continues to hover at 1 feet..... Maybe some Gains to set somewhere???
2) Bigger Issue: 3 times i`ve armed in GPS Mode, Sticks to 30%, Hexa goes up and no response on the Sticks ( T,E,A,R)(Intelligent Modus) ... than he cuts the motors at about 4-5 feets and crashes down. Had to change 2 props, was flying over grass, fortunateley. I've noticed that in GPS Mode the Led blinked 3 times green shortly after the crash and then started to blink blue again.
Following the manual this means a IMU Connection Problem....any Idea somewho?

Best,

meme

Topper

Hi Meme,

good to hear i have send you into the correct direction with the Voltage Monitor and protection. As you now have a bit background you can tweak the settings for optimum. Back to you next questions and issues:

1. Sounds strange, even when throttle does not match the middle he should either constant climbe or drop. You can see that from the single LED flash, either violet in GPS mode or orange in ATTI mode. Double flash means yout sticks are not all in middle. Gains for now should be all default in your setup and you should not ply with them at this stage.

2. I see this somehow attached to your issue 1. What type of Radio do you have? For me it sonds more and more that the settings on your Radio do have some strange behavior, like you have mixer or EXPO active on the channels. What basic moddel did you choose in the initial setup on your radio, Plane or Heli?

Rgds Topper

meme

Hi Topper,

I've took a couple hours off today and did a few changes: Moved the IMU from Center of Bottom Plate to the Back and wired all new and tightly, fixing everything with Cable Ties. So the IMU is distant as far as possible from the GPS.
Added M3 double Foam Tape to the whole Plate of the IMU, not only a single strip like before.
Did a bit of hovering in my Garden and the Hexa is way more stable for now, no green Light anymore and no Motor Cuts, also Position Hold is much better.
I have played also a bit with the Vertical Gains, it seems to become a bit better, i have changed up to 170% but there was some wind today, not sure at all.

I still have the Problem with Attitude Hold. See this short Vid: I never touch the Throttle Stick, Flights are all done in GPS/Atti Modus

As to the double Spark: This is a good Point! I have double sparks of yellow/ blue LED all the Time. Maybe that can be the Problem? I use a Multiplex Cockpit SX at the Moment. In the initial Setup i have choosed the Plane/Acro Setup according to manual.

Topper

Hi Meme

when you release the sticks and put the throttle into exact middle position (only then your Hexa will go into Altitude hold) while you are connected to the Assistant Software, are all 4 slider centered, with green color and do they stay that way or do they move and sometimes getting a black color?

Rgds Topper

tstrike

pendejo grande
Don't stick your hands in a flying 6 bladed blender that's having issues while holding the throttle controller in the other hand.
just sayin...
The atti hold on my naza is super sensitive, if it's not nuts on 50% it's either raising or lowering. Makes it hard when I'm ruddering to not bump the controller a smij.

meme

Hi Meme

when you release the sticks and put the throttle into exact middle position (only then your Hexa will go into Altitude hold) while you are connected to the Assistant Software, are all 4 slider centered, with green color and do they stay that way or do they move and sometimes getting a black color?

Rgds Topper

Hu, good question! Will check that right after i come back home from Work, thanks :)

meme

Don't stick your hands in a flying 6 bladed blender that's having issues while holding the throttle controller in the other hand.
just sayin...
The atti hold on my naza is super sensitive, if it's not nuts on 50% it's either raising or lowering. Makes it hard when I'm ruddering to not bump the controller a smij.

You are right, will keep more attention :) The Fact is, there is no hovering. Or he moves slightly up- or down... sometimes he keeps the atti for a couple seconds, than he starts up/or down again....

tstrike

pendejo grande
You are right, will keep more attention :) The Fact is, there is no hovering. Or he moves slightly up- or down... sometimes he keeps the atti for a couple seconds, than he starts up/or down again....
to be fair you are getting a bit of prop wash at that height, does it do the same when it's like a couple meters up? My 450 does sort of the same thing when I fly in my shop, it creates a lot of turbulence and bounces around but out in an open field the atti is rock solid just a tad on the touchy side.

Paul@scc

Hi meme.
What an amazing location you live in.
I worked in the Dolomites 20 years ago on a film called Cliffhanger and was amazed by its beauty.
One of these days I will re visit. :))

meme

Hello all,

@ Topper: Bingo! Look at the Throttle Sticks at 50% :) I have setted that now correctly on the TX, Big Thanks to you!
View attachment 3126#

After that i went in the Garden: Armed the Hexa, add Throttle Hexa goes up to 5 feet, no reaction on the Sticks???? You can see (hear) it clearly on the Video, after couple seconds the Motors cutted and the Copter went down. I tried that 10 times after that, even the same problem.
Taked of with less Throttle as before, MC hovered at about 1 feet with no reaction from any Sticks Input,(T,R,E,A) than i did CSC to land. Sometimes after Landing a green Led showed up; 3xgreen, 1xred in GPS Mode. All Flights in GPS Mode, Intelligent Mode and no Sticks below 10%...
Went back in the Hobby Room and disconnected IMU from the MC, re-connected it, back in the Garden, armed, some Green Light shows up again, but i give a F**k and try to start- and the Copter flies well... also Hovering worked fine... no green Leds anymore.. Disconnected the Lipo 3 times, also then no problems anymore..
Maybe i had only a loosy connection between IMU and MC? Or a Bug in the IMU?
I have touched and changed nothing after my Flights in Afternoon, so, i will retry tomorrow and will see what will happen.
Heres the Clip:

Attachments

• Tstick@50percent.jpg
    Tstick@50percent.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 232

meme

to be fair you are getting a bit of prop wash at that height, does it do the same when it's like a couple meters up? My 450 does sort of the same thing when I fly in my shop, it creates a lot of turbulence and bounces around but out in an open field the atti is rock solid just a tad on the touchy side.

It was to dark to try that higher, but i hope that i have fixed now, setting the Throotle Stick on the TX Monitor.. will see tommorow.

meme

@ Paul: Hey, loved that Film! Thanks, drop me a Line when u come over here, we'll have some Forst Beer together :)

Topper

Hi Meme,

i hope that will solve your issue, however I still think there is something wrong in your radio configuration.

Rgds Topper