XAircraft Exploding props

Kilby

Denny, I would steer clear if I were you. They make a decent frame, I'll give them that, but that's about it. The fact that they released this product with these props says one thing. The fact that they didn't pull them all off the shelves when they found out about this problem is something else all together. Between exploding props, defective GPS and random uncontrollable movements coming from the gyros, I'm wishing I had never bought one. what a nightmare!

I've officially made up my mind today that I'm gutting mine and replacing all the electronics. It's the only way that I'm ever going to feel comfortable enough to hang a decent camera underneath it. So now the $720 x8 I bought is going to turn into $2k+ quad. I would have been better off just buying a frame and starting from there. Very disappointed. :upset:

Kilby

All of the current XA users are nothing more than paying beta testers. I work in product development, and I know I would personally lose my job if I put something out that had this many holes in it. Completely unacceptable.

Kilby

Yup, I'm thinking DJI with Avroto motors, 30amp esc's, 11inch props & 4s batteries. That should get it in the air with no problems.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah, I am doing the same only 3s with 12 x 3.8 apc. I have had really good luck with this combo. Zero vibration issues. I am waiting for Ken to fly his Cinestar to make sure there really arent any issues with the WKM and larger multis.

Go4it

Yep, just finished my Xaircraft V4 today. Held it over my head to test the joysticks and the new download.
Two of the CCW props let go before 1/2 throttle. These were only pushed down and use purple loc-tite to just hold the nut in place. I read the horror stories and I thought, maybe they had tighten the props down and cracked them. But that was not the case with these two. Half RPM and the blades let go, but the center hub of the blades were still their. I can understand the factory wants a blade to break when it hits the ground to save the shaft on the motor. But to blow up at 1/2 throttle just doesn't get it. I did purchase 6 spare blades, but now I am gunshy to fire it up without a hard hat and safety glasses on.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Go4It
is it possible that the locktite came in contact with the black plastic prop material? Locktite can be very corrosive to some plastics and composites.
Bart

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'd put money it that if you soaked a normal prop in thread lock for a week, it would not break at all. I can tell you i had no thread lock on my props and 3 of them broke. The fact that this is STILL a problem is unacceptable.

Go4it

That is true it can.
I have been building helicopters for I would guess 25 years or more so yes I am aware of that. The props were installed maybe two hours before I started the motors and the blades let go. I guess, I should had mentioned that earlier. Also the green loctite that is made to wick, is the one that can cause problems on some materials. Most the time I use ca IC-2000 the black rubber works best compared to the blue,green,purple loctite

http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/t629405p1/

Kilby

GO4IT, when did you buy your kit?

I'm just wondering if they are still selling them with the bad props well after they found out, or if maybe you have had yours for a while and the problem is just now coming to light.

Also, where did you buy it?

I have the same problem. Now i dont now what i think. You need change all motor for different brand for new blades. I wrote to Jinchen xaircraft zero support. I am very dissapoinmet with this brand.

Go4it

I just ordeed more props as spares.
I think the factory was trying to develop a prop that would let go to prevent bending the shaft. The problem of the prop is at the cord, it is to thin at the hub and the CF composite material is to brittle.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I think they were trying to save $.05 and this is the outcome. And no joking, $.05 would probably be what it would cost per prop to make it indestructible.