evergrowing shopping list for first selfbuild quad.

Varney

Hey all,

I'ld like to start building my first quad (overtime, not everything at once) i've been looking over the internet for information for quiet some time now (the thread about the group build project and the one about lipo's where a huge help allready, thx). So now i'm in the process of creating my shopping list, looking into compatibility of all components and so one. So i get some insight in what ill be needing in the end.
The information on the net is so overwhelming, and often on some subjects people allready assume some basic knowledge so basics are sometimes harder to find. So tips, advice or remarks when i'm missing something or doing it completely wrong would be hugely appreciated (as all noobs here probably do :D )

Radio :
Tx :Walkera Devo F12E
Rx :Walkera RX1202

Build :
Frame : 1 x HK Predator 650
Motor : 4 x Sunnysky V3508-16 700 kv (shaft 6mm)
Props : 4 x carbon 12 x 3.8 (shaft 3.17mm, compatibel with motor shaft ? )
Esc : 4 x HK blue 40A series (if important, also the tools to flash simonk)
Pdb : 1 x Quanum pdb + dual ubec
Fc : 1 x DJI Naza M Lite Gps combo (will this one be enoug or will i need the more expensive Naza M V2 to get telemetry working later on)

Fpv/Camera system :
(first going to start with a build like described above, but this is what i'ld like to add to it later when i have a clue what i'm doing :) )

Camera : 1 x Mobius
Fpv camera : 1 x Fatshark 600TVL Cmos
video transmitter : 2 x Immersion 5.8ghz 25mw (can channel be selected, so both can broadcast at same time? )
video antenna: 2 x immersion 5.8ghz sma
video switch : 1 x HK 3 channel video switcher
video receiver : 1 x skyzone auto scanning video receiver

Unlisted items :
(some things were not in the list , but i'm aware i'm missing those)
Tools
Various little things (connectors, heat shrink...)
Battery (thinking of going with 2 x 4s batteries) + balanced charger

Things that i still have to look into :
(any insight on these that you could give me are ofc welcome, but this list is mainly meant for myself to keep track of what i still need to figure out)

- telemetry : what kind of osd will i need to make this work for my setup, and will i need anything else
- camera : what gimbal and what other things will i need to make my tx to be able to steer the camera
- camera : how can i switch recording on/off and/or make a picture from my tx
- led lights : how to remotely turn on/off led lights on quad

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Wow! That's a lot of data to digest...

Serious though: couple things that jump out at me.

If you're looking for an FPV frame, you might consider spending a bit more on a frame like the CineTank (review HERE). The quality is superb, and the video (FPV orGoPro, or both!) is incredibly smooth even without a gimbal. Gimbal can be added later of course. It also handles crashes like nothing I've ever seen. Ask me howi know :)

The HK frames can be heavy, and not well machines at times.

Might think about starting with less expensive, but still decent quality props. CF breaks fairly easily, and you will probably have a few run-ins with the ground at first. Companies like APC and and HQProps make good quality,fairly cheap props. Avoid the HK plastic though. Too cheap!

With the tools, add a prop balancer. Dubro and Top Flite are the common preferred.

I've neverused the Blue Series ESCs, but you could probably get the basic f-30A pre-flashed (or buy the tool) for much cheaper.

That PDB seems pretty complicated. Make sure you do the math to determine your max amp draw - and that it won't exceed the 80A spec. You can also make your own "squid" with wire.

I've had great luck with the Sunnysky motors. You'll love them.

The Naza will need the OSD mini (or the bigger one) to transmit data through your VTX. All the Immersion and Fat Shark is very simple plug-play, so should be great for a beginner. Make sure you research the appropriate wires to interface everything you'll want to use together.

The camera can be triggered with infrared if the camera accepts it. It is typically set up on a Tx switch. The Rx also controls the gimbal if you wish - you just need to make sure you have enough channels. The lights would work this way as well, you would need a cheap servo on/off switch (HK sells them).

Lastly, the Transmitter (TX). I am not familiar with Walkera gear (by name only), but that radio is 5.8 which can/will interfere with video transmission. 2.4 is the standard for radios, and if FPV is in your future, you might be best choosing a 2.4 radio.

The Taranisis a great radio with lots of channels for cheap cost (less than half price of Walkera and more channels). The programming is amazing. There are obviously MANY others

Good luck....

Varney

Wow, thanks for the detailed advice.
Hate to say it now, but allready had abbandoned this idea, since it was getting way too complicated for a beginner like me.
Better take babysteps instead of diving head in like with this build, so i learn all the ins and outs of what and why i'm doing things.
So decided to go with the F450 and follow the group build as a great learning project.

Agree on the taranis, while browsing the web i fell in love with the programming options it has, and ts low price. So planning go with that one, but for starters i'm reusing an old multiplex radio with 7 channels i have laying around

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think that's a great choice. The group build will give you a very solid platform, and Bart's explanations/details will be invaluable.

You won't regret the Taranis. It's a different mindset from the older style radios - but the programming is amazing.

Good luck and fly safe!