Event Follow-up: New York City Drone Users Group Takes to the Skies over New Jersey

filmfly

Sunday Aug 17, 2014

Warm sunshine, a light breeze, and white, puffy clouds high above the corn fields of Central New Jersey provided a pristine backdrop for today’s fly-in of the New York City Drone Users Group, or NYCDUG. UAS hobby pilots and enthusiasts came together on short notice this weekend to take up the invitation to fly their aircraft over a corn maze at Stony Hill Farm in Chester, New Jersey. The group hosted by Meetup.com has grown quickly in recent months to include more than 700 local members, and even at the somewhat distant location 50 miles from New York City about 20 people and their guests responded to organizer Steve Cohen’s announcement of the event just one day prior.

In addition to seizing the opportunity to fly together and show and tell about their aircraft, members of the group spoke with a photographer from the New York Post who was there taking pictures of the group’s activities following up on an interview given to the paper recently by Cohen. Pilots posed with their aircraft for a group photo, and spoke in support of community efforts to prioritize safety and emphasize the variety of uses and positive impacts UAS can have.

Some users tested out new systems on the sidelines, a few DJI Phantom pilots hovered over the area and tracked waypoints around the designated flight area, and a couple of the more experienced operators showed off their flying skills and more capable aircraft, sometimes while broadcasting video which was shared among the group via several FatShark headsets and monitors. A few people at the meetup were not yet pilots but were simply interested in learning more, and helpfully the other members of the group were happy to answer questions.

Although for many owners of UAS who live in cities or dense urban areas finding a safe and appropriate location to fly can be difficult, the members of this group have proven that when a good opportunity arises to fly together they are willing to make the effort even on short notice to come together to share their passion for multirotor flight as a community.

Congratulations on a very successful and fun fly-in - with such a great location, great conditions, and great people involved we can only hope for more of the same in the near future!

David T

Attachments

• IMG_4425.jpg
    IMG_4425.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_4461.jpg
    IMG_4461.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_4444 Steve Cohen.jpg
    IMG_4444 Steve Cohen.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_4470.jpg
    IMG_4470.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_4506.jpg
    IMG_4506.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_4495.jpg
    IMG_4495.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_4492.jpg
    IMG_4492.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_4482 Shane.jpg
    IMG_4482 Shane.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_4429.jpg
    IMG_4429.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_4493.jpg
    IMG_4493.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_4468.jpg
    IMG_4468.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_4514.jpg
    IMG_4514.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 237
Last edited by a moderator:

filmfly

Hi Kloner,

Yep that's Brendan (in the Chicken Sashimi shirt). Very nice guy, he was great to talk to!

bmschulman

Yes, that's me. In photo 11 also. I knew everyone would bring multirotors so I brought a fixed-wing FPV plane. I also have TBS, DJI and Lumenier multirotors too. Some of them "need work" at the moment. :tennis:

Last edited by a moderator:

flyingfilmsny

It looked like a great time! Hopefully I can make it out to the next one. Maybe there is an apple orchard/pumpkin patch that would have us sometime in September.