East Coast Multirotor Pilot Meetup - July 6 maybe?

filmfly

Now that it's full-on summer flying season it would be great to find a time to get more of us together in person to meet, show off what we've built, and fly! I'll throw out a date of Sunday July 6. Location depends on you!

I'm in Central New Jersey (near Bart), but depending on who wants to get involved we could pick a location closer to NY, PA, MD, or CT. It would be great to connect as many people as possible. Just reply if you're interested and give me a general idea of where you are based.

Dave T

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
This is a great idea. I'm up in Vermont but make my way south to Brooklyn/NJ quite often - and this would be the perfect excuse! :)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i can make it on the 6th provided it isn't a far drive as I'll be up late the night before for another commitment.

Kilby

I might be up for that. I have to check with the wife and see what are plans are first. We have vacation that week.

Chasew86

I just joined the forum today, but this is exactly what i was hoping to find. Would like to have some other multirotor pilots to fly with. Let me me know when and where please.

Thanks,
Chase

Bartman

Would the weekend of the 19th and 20th be better?

Pretty lukewarm response so far and that's being generous! :smiley_simmons:

djw43

Great idea, the 6th is fine for me, weekend of 19, 20 is ok in the afternoon.
david
warren NJ

Chasew86

I know a couple people who own sod fields where I live in northern virginia, I could ask one of them if you guys want, there is also a decommissioned army base near me that has some abandoned buildings and open fields

hndaluvr

Hi guys,
I'm new to the forum but have been in the hobby for years now. I live in Delaware and have family NJ. I'd love to meet and fly with guys from the area. July works pretty good for me... except the weekend of the 19th (Heli Over Delaware... Heli funfly weekend for me).
A NJ location works fine for me, but if a "proper" field proves to be an issue, we can ALWAY meet and fly at my home field (Delaware RC Club field). Here's a link:
http://www.delawarerc.org/

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see what transpires....

Regards,
Brian

filmfly

At this point I'm going to start looking for a place in central New Jersey to meet and fly on July 6, and I'll post the location. I'd prefer to keep it that weekend (as I'm not available the following weekend and I understand there are other events scheduled then). Of course it would be great if this turned into something more frequent, so I'm sure we'll follow up with another go after a couple of weeks. If you miss this just make sure to catch the next one!

So July 6 in New Jersey... pass the word along and prepare your aircraft!

benc

Im in central NJ also, flying at Thomas Edison state park. Would like to meet up to see other multirotor folks. Get some idea how to setup some new stuff I have.

only thing is that the park require a permit to fly there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

what kind of permit benc?

Was talking to a flyer from Ohio and we talked about meeting up at State College, PA for an afternoon of flying. Does that work for anyone? Not on the 6th but some other time maybe.

benc

You need a park permit and AMA. Permit is $12 for Middlesex County residents and $24 for all others.

Bartman

if this isn't happening July 6 can we look forward to a different date to try again?

filmfly

Okay guys, July 6th is happening and the weather is forecasted to be good. Location is in Clinton, NJ just off I-78 - see map and directions below. For anyone who can't make it don't worry, we will do this again in a couple weeks and, depending on who wants to join and where they are coming from, we can change the location in the future.

Sunday July 6, 2014
11:00 am start, followed by lunch in Clinton

NJ Water Supply Authority Field (across from Evergreen Cemetery)
99 Halstead St, Clinton, NJ 08809
From the East take I-78 to Route 31 North to Halstead St (Clinton). Entrances at first and second right.

View attachment 23306 View attachment 23307

We should be able to park along the fence where we can then set up to fly (away from people and traffic on Halstead St) or in the small parking lot on the right as you enter. There should be some great views of the adjacent Spruce Run Reservoir but I would discourage flying toward it over the fence as the area is not accessible to us. This is a large unused grassy field that is open to the public during daylight hours for walking and cycling (although the trail doesn't seem to go anywhere and I've never seen anyone there). Please be respectful, courteous, and above all SAFE if anyone else appears in the area or approaches us. If for any reason this location isn't right for us I have a backup location nearby.

Everyone of course is welcome, regardless of whether they will be bringing an aircraft with them. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you for the first time and seeing the rest of you again! In addition to flying, it will be great to just have lunch and chat about multicopters as well. If you don't have my number already please PM me or email me so I can give it to you. See you Sunday!

Dave T