DX8, Naza, gains

Bison52

At the point of finishing wiring, starting setup. Been going mostly by videos from AerialMedia Pros (thanks, great instructional vid). In the setup, their TX has two sliders and channels X1 and X2 are used to set gains on the fly. The DX8 has one knob for adjusting gains like that.

1 Should I just set up X1 and map it to that knob?

2 If I don't have any use at the moment for X2, should I go ahead and plug x2 up between the FC and RX so it's there if I come up with a use for it?

3. My RX came with a telemetry module. Is that worth messing with right now or will it just introduce more complexity to my first build?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mike V.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ydshwu

1 Should I just set up X1 and map it to that knob?

I would set up the Knob to the X1. Use that to Dial in the gains of your Manual mode. Once you find out the sweet spot, Plug the Naza into the assitant and see what the values are of the X1. Keep that number in your Manual gain setting. Now switch the knob to your X2, repeat and use the knob to dial in your Atti mode Gains. I would keep the knob hooked up as X2 controlling your Atti Mode Gains on the Fly. Dont worry about the Manual mode gains, since you already preset them in the first step.

2 If I don't have any use at the moment for X2, should I go ahead and plug x2 up between the FC and RX so it's there if I come up with a use for it?

Yes, Might as well keep it plugged in for future use. Make sure it is disabled and not controlling or changing any other values. Do this By placing the X2 on INH. You can use X1 or X2 with the knob. Just INH the one that your not using.

3. My RX came with a telemetry module. Is that worth messing with right now or will it just introduce more complexity to my first build?

I did a FPV build for a client utilizing his Telemetry on the DX8. It is a nice feature to have and is pretty simple to set up. Use a satelite cable and cut the end off. Remove the signal wire from the cable, leaving the black and red, or Brown and red. Solder the red onto any of the + pads of the Distribution board. Do the same with the Ground wire. That will now plug into your VOLT input of your T1000 telemetry unit. That will provide the main Battery voltage, giving you a good idea of how much flight time you have left. All in all, it will probably be worth it, and it is not very hard.

Hope that helped without confusing you :)

Bison52

Thanks. Makes perfect sense. I think there's a cable included for monitoring the main battery. Just got the DX 8 today. Are you the AerialPro guy, Patrick? If so, I really like your web site and videos. Put you at the top of my list for next round of stuff I need to buy.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?qj2mxf

Yes, that is Me :) Thanks for the compliments. Have a fun flying that copter. Remeber to Check/Double CHeck/Re check your Motor and prop directions prior to first flight.

Bison52

I may have gotten the cart before the horse. Can I bind the telemetry module and the receiver after I have plugged everything into the naza? If I understand how this works correctly, the electronics work at a lower voltage than the voltage from my 3S battery. So to bind everything standalone I need a small battery just to power the rx and telemetry module, or a BEC from my main battery, and use the binding plug.

If I bind it all wired up to the naza and the VU and plug the main battery in, doesn't the VU act as a BEC and supply the correct power? Then can I go thru the bind process from there.

I'd hate to guess wrong at this stage and smoke a bunch of electronics.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?cebib1

Helijib

Hi Guys,
Been following your posts here. Great info.
I'm a new dx8 user. Brand new a actually.
I'm very interested in setting up the X1 and X2 gains so that I can tweak as many seeting as possible while in the air without having to go back tthe laptop and tweak in the Naza assistant.
Like I said, I'm very new to this and would love a step by step approach to getting this all up and running on my dx8.
thanks so much.

Bison52

I followed Patricks video closely and didn't have much trouble. Biggest pain was figuring out how to load the driver. Only mistakes that threw me off were 1) somehow got a crg 8 error but it went away after I recalibrated a couple of times and rebooted, and 2) got mixed up on the direction the slider should have gone for elevator. Should have been up/forward->slider right, down/back->slider left.

I found that error when my motors wouldn't start but went back and corrected it and they fired up just fine.

Other thing I found was that the range for the gear switch that was mapped to U for atti or manual was very picky. Just a click or two would throw it off either way and I'd wind up in fail safe so I had to be careful setting that up.

As far as gains, the only analog dial the DX8 has is aux 3 where the TX that Patrick uses in the video has two sliders, so DX 8 users have to program gains for atti and manual (which I think the assistant calls basic) one at a time, just like Patrick says above.

Questions I have are 1) since I'm still in "trying to get it off the ground" mode and I understand that is best done in atti, shouldn't I try to adjust atti gains first, not manual, and 2) are gains for all axes set the same or if you're really trying to dial them in shouldn't you do one axis at a time since one might have a different value than another?

I am so new at this I probably shouldn't be offering tips but I'm making so many dumb mistakes that maybe if I pass them on, it'll save somebody else in the same boat from repeating them.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?bzveh3

When Using the DX8, I program the Manual Gains first using the Knob, That way I can just leave it as is once I do the Atti gains as my last step. It does not matter which order you want to set them up in. I just figured most people would want to have the remote gains set up on Atti. Thats why I do that last, to prevent having to switch it back after doing manual mode. When setting the gains, I do the Aileron and elevator at the same time. I dont really mess with the yaw or Altitude unless its acting wierd in flight on those channels. I will do the Ail/Ele for Manual mode, then finish the set up by doing the Ail/Ele on atti mode last.

If you want to start with atti mode gains, then Set up the ATTI Gains using X1 or X2 to your Rotary Knob (Aux 3) on the DX8.Use that to fine tune and get the gain setting that works well for you in flight. Once it is flying the way you like, Bring it in and plug into the naza assitant, and see what value the gain is at. Then disable the Atti mode gain control, and assign it to the Manual mode gain control. Then do the same thing and fine tune the manual mode gains with the knob. This is at least an easy way to find out what that sweet spot Gain setting is. Once you have it all dialed in. You can set the Manual mode gains to that new found value. Then reassign the Knob to control the Atti mode gains again. This way you can always adjust atti mode gains on the fly. Just remeber where the knobs position is, in relation to the gain values that you like.Mine is usually dean center.

Hope that didnt mess you up :)
Hope that helps without confusing you.

Helijib

Awesome info guys. Thanks very much. I'm going to dive into this today...
I'll probably have questions as this is all new to me...

Really appreciate the help.

Helijib

Hi Patrick,
Sorry for the confusion.
I thought you had a instructional video about how to set up the DX8 transmitter, calibrate and set up the X1 and X2 sliders in the Naza software?
Thanks for all your help.

Ohhh, sorry bud. Just how to calibrate your controller using the Naza Assistant. I havent done a video on the DX8 yet. Call me, and I can walk you through it real quick. 888-557-6791

pmijoiu

knob refuses to work on x1

Hi guys,

Today I've built my first F550 + Naza (no GPS) + DX8. Everything went well (thanks to AerialMediaPros for that) and I was able to fly it even thought I had ZERO experience with aircrafts or any other crafts for that matter (except stracraft :).

The only problem that I've encountered is that although I had properly bound the X1 Naza port to the AUX 3 DX8 port, the knob simply refuses to control the slider for X1 (in Naza assistant the slider for X1 always stays at maximum value). Everything else works perfectly (Gear switch with U Port, Aux 2 with X2 Port). Please note that I get no configuration error in Naza assistant.

I have checked the following:
- in DX8 System Setup I checked the switches, my aux3 channel is properly mapped to the aux3 knob (it is not inhibited or mapped to something else)
- in DX8 Monitor the knob works perfectly fine - I can see the slider moving properly (so the knob itself is not broken)
- changed the cable between Naza and RX
- if I bind Aux2 to X1 and Aux3 to X2 then X1 works fine using the Aux 2 Switch but the knob still doesn't do anything for X2

In my first tests that I did today the knob was working just fine, I was able to control the X1 slider in the Naza assistant. After some few more tests it simply stopped working although I made no changes in the RX8 configuration.

Do you guys have any idea what might be the cause for this? Here are the possible scenarios that crossed my mind:

1. In the Naza assistant there is an option to Disable all Knobs that I might have activated at some point. Since there is no button to Enable them back I assumed that the knobs supposed to be enabled back after a power cycle? Is there any way to reset Naza in that regard?
2. Is there any configuration that I might be missing in the Naza Assistant or DX8?
3. Is it possible that my Aux3 port on the RX got fried?

Please help a noob!!!

When Using the DX8, I program the Manual Gains first using the Knob, That way I can just leave it as is once I do the Atti gains as my last step. It does not matter which order you want to set them up in. I just figured most people would want to have the remote gains set up on Atti. Thats why I do that last, to prevent having to switch it back after doing manual mode. When setting the gains, I do the Aileron and elevator at the same time. I dont really mess with the yaw or Altitude unless its acting wierd in flight on those channels. I will do the Ail/Ele for Manual mode, then finish the set up by doing the Ail/Ele on atti mode last.

If you want to start with atti mode gains, then Set up the ATTI Gains using X1 or X2 to your Rotary Knob (Aux 3) on the DX8.Use that to fine tune and get the gain setting that works well for you in flight. Once it is flying the way you like, Bring it in and plug into the naza assitant, and see what value the gain is at. Then disable the Atti mode gain control, and assign it to the Manual mode gain control. Then do the same thing and fine tune the manual mode gains with the knob. This is at least an easy way to find out what that sweet spot Gain setting is. Once you have it all dialed in. You can set the Manual mode gains to that new found value. Then reassign the Knob to control the Atti mode gains again. This way you can always adjust atti mode gains on the fly. Just remeber where the knobs position is, in relation to the gain values that you like.Mine is usually dean center.

Hope that didnt mess you up :)
Hope that helps without confusing you.

kloner

Aerial DP
your problem is most likely in the dx8. if you plug your rig into dji assistant and look at tx cali, it'll show you if anything is moving in x1 or x2 which is what the gain would be programeable under. in your radio it should have something in the main setup menu where you name models, choose wing types, etc. usually involves holding down a button when you turn on the radio. it will have window to make any knob on any channel. i'd suggest reading the radio manual for programing aux channels or the like

There is no dissable all knobs. There would be under "autopilot" where the gains are set a place to make x1 or x2 controll different gains. you would have had to hit the dropdown and change to INH or inhibited to unprogram naza.

pmijoiu

I looked on the tx calibration screen and the slider for x1 is stuck on max value.

I also checked the dx8 system configuration and aux3 port is properly bound to the knob.

It worked fine for a while until it suddenly stopped working without me making any change in the dx8 configuration.

There is a disable all knobs function in the naza assistant app. menu.

One other strange thing is the if I try to set x1 in any of the gains combo naza assistant refuzes to accept this value and automatically switches back to INH. This makes me think that the disable all knobs is still in effect somehow.

Any one knows how to completely reset Naza? shall i fake a firmeware upgrade just to reset?

your problem is most likely in the dx8. if you plug your rig into dji assistant and look at tx cali, it'll show you if anything is moving in x1 or x2 which is what the gain would be programeable under. in your radio it should have something in the main setup menu where you name models, choose wing types, etc. usually involves holding down a button when you turn on the radio. it will have window to make any knob on any channel. i'd suggest reading the radio manual for programing aux channels or the like

There is no dissable all knobs. There would be under "autopilot" where the gains are set a place to make x1 or x2 controll different gains. you would have had to hit the dropdown and change to INH or inhibited to unprogram naza.