Mikrokopter Dx8 and Spectrum Diversity Board help

I know this might be an old topic.... but has anyone figured out a work around to get the dx8 working with the Spektrum D board without having to bind it to a 9 channel receiver? I have tried everything I can think of and can only get 6 channels to work. Got a great deal on the DX8 but as of now looks Like it might make a good boat anchor.

1. Tried binding through the SDB with the DX8 satellite only.... will bind but only 6 channels
2.Tried Binding the old DX7 satellite with the DX8 receiver .......Wont bind
3. Tried Binding old DX7 satellites through the SDB will bind but only 6 channels

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
are you talking about the small diversity board (I forget who makes it) that allows up to four satellites to be attached? or does Spektrum make a board compatible with MK flight controls?

Sorry I should have clairified... yes its the small diversity board that up to 4 satellites can be attached...evidently it doesn't play well with the DX8 satellite receivers.

I have used 3 of those. 2 worked and bound fine. The other no matter what I do, would only show like 6 channels. I asked quadrocopter (who I got the D Board from). All they could say is "Yea, sometimes it doesnt play well with others, sometimes it does". LOL so on that board, I was out the $50 or what ever. Wish I had a better answer, but thats all I have, straight from the horses mouth.

Bartman

i'm not sure why you'd try to bind through the board. I typically bind directly to the receiver then reattach the sat to the copter. if you bind the satellite to the receiver that came with the radio you can only get 6 channels to function when it's connected to the diversity board?
using the JR 9503 so I haven't heard of this before and both of mine work as advertised.

Interesting.... I had no problems SDB binding to my DX7, It bound and worked perfect the 1st time. From what I have read is that it won't bind correctly with the DX8 satellites evidently they are not compatible with the older DSM2. It looks like it is possible to bind the older (non DX8) satellites using a AR 9000 receiver but I don't have one and I don't think I willing to drop another $100 so I can use the DX8. I am hoping someone has another work around... What a pain in the ***

Bartman

it's odd to find this as I don't do it this way, i bind with the JR 921 receiver and then just plug the wires into the diversity board but here it are the directions for reference when someone else comes across this thread. the info is copied from the New Generation Hobbies website though I'd guess it's on all of the MK dealers' sites.

Binding Instructions:
As any spektrum receiver, the diversity board and the satellite receivers connected to it will have to be bound to your spektrum transmitter. To enter the binding mode, you will need to hold the binding button pressed while powering on the circuit. All attached satellite recievers will be blinking fast during binding mode. The LED on the diversity receiver board will blink briefly 3-6 times, then it will turn off for a few seconds after which it will start flashing again - waiting for the RC signal. At this point follow the instructions of your RC transmitter to turn it on in binding mode. When the RC binding signal is detected, the satellite receivers will follow their routine of binding and blink slower. When the binding is complete, the LED's on the satellite recievers will stay on and on the diversity board will turn off.
If the binding does not succeed, then it must be repeated still maximum 3 times. The diversity controller has been programmed with 4 different binding sequences for different spektrum product combinations, and try each of these at the next binding attempt.
Every time new spektrum receivers are connected the binding process has to be repeated.

Macsgrafs

its all to do with the transmitters resolution. The DX8 has twice the resolution of the DX7 apparently

Ross

Bartman

Interesting.... I had no problems SDB binding to my DX7, It bound and worked perfect the 1st time. From what I have read is that it won't bind correctly with the DX8 satellites evidently they are not compatible with the older DSM2. It looks like it is possible to bind the older (non DX8) satellites using a AR 9000 receiver but I don't have one and I don't think I willing to drop another $100 so I can use the DX8. I am hoping someone has another work around... What a pain in the ***

maybe if you post a wanted ad here or on rcgroups someone might have one cheap for you.

Bart thanks for the info ...Just to clarify I m not having a problem getting the satellites to bind the problem is that I only get 6 channels to work. I did some digging and just a FYI for anyone considering the DX8 check out the threads below (page 11).
It seems according to spectrum/horizon the DX8 should not be used with the satellite only as we do in the MK application, evidently at times the satellite and receiver need to talk together and when the receiver is not used a flyaway is possible. According to the wiki it is possible to get 8 channels using the older non DX8 satellites but it first must be bound to a 9 channel receiver.. Of coarse I wish I would have know this before I purchased the DX8... it seems that the DX8 might not be the transmitter of choice for MK.

http://www.mikrokopter.us/the-hardware/spektrum-diversity-boards-4-satellite-receivers!/120/

http://translate.googleusercontent....ektrum&usg=ALkJrhjEs_jKNnOg4Nnw194CEyvHqtL3-Q

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
DSMX is the problem, the older DSM2 stuff will work fine but you can't mix and match successfully. My JR 11X which is DSM2 gives me a full 11 channels on my MKs through standard Spektrum satellites although I did bind the satellites to the TX through an 11 channel RX first.

I have a JR 921 DSMX RX that I'll sell cheap, I picked it up at a swap meet not realizing it was the X and not DSM2, it won't work with any of my radio gear so $50 takes it.

Ken

Ken, Is the JR 921 the same as AR9000? If so from what I have read it should let me bind my older DSM2 satellites to the DX8 and get 8 channels...If this solves my problem I will gladly take it....let me how you would like to handle it.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken, Is the JR 921 the same as AR9000? If so from what I have read it should let me bind my older DSM2 satellites to the DX8 and get 8 channels...If this solves my problem I will gladly take it....let me how you would like to handle it.

The RX is a R921X DSMX and will not work with DSM2 satellites, from the R921X users guide...
DSMX receivers are not compatible with DSM2 remote receivers and DSM2 receivers are not compatible with DSMX remote receivers.

Ken