DX7s Signal Lost? F450 Crash :(

So maybe I was flying it to far out but I couldn't imagine this being as far as these TX/RX can reach...I shot the hill with a range finder about where I feel like it lost signal and it was around 250 yards away...

Needless to say I lost 3 arms, possibly 2 motors, and the lower frame board...This was nothing compared to what it could have been considering it got hung up in the median on the highway...

Last edited by a moderator:

did you ever do the powerdown range calibration with the radio and tx?

:upset: no...I did not...can't believe I forgot to do that...

Quick question regarding that...I tried it on my MQX...I know it's not the same receiver and so on but are you supposed to get some type of confirmation or be able to control the heli at all while holding the button?

mailman35

when i did mine i was able to control it i never throttled up all the way, just moved the sticks around so it wouldnt shut down. and wouldnt take off, it wouldnt hurt to have someone hold it while you did that.
i always fear the loss of control when i have the quad up really high.
but that was from power failure.

looks like you are somewhere in the northeast based on the light snow cover :p

Alright cool. When I tried it with my MQX I didn't have any type of control even 10 feet away from it but I was guessing that had to do with the receiver built into the MQX.

I'm about 5min from Cincinnati. We've had an abnormally warm winter. This was probably one of the coolest days so far and of course I have a fatal crash. Live and learn, guess that's why they call this a hobby lol

mailman35

ahh yeah same here.
and from what ive read the mqx is simply an ardrone w/o the wifi... they are really different to fly then a real quad, as you get out of the toy releam and in to something that can do some damage should you get hit with it.

kloner

Aerial DP
man, that's scarry. Looks like such a great place for something like that. I'd of never guessed the model would make it that far. Sucks standing on a freeway with it, like a deer in headlights. Imagine if a cop pulled up, yikes

A spektrum full size rx will go 2-2.5 miles LOS. You obviously have something going on there that needs attention. It'll just loose signal again without figuring out what happened and whats causing it. What is the rx and where are they mounted? Sats?

man, that's scarry. Looks like such a great place for something like that. I'd of never guessed the model would make it that far. Sucks standing on a freeway with it, like a deer in headlights. Imagine if a cop pulled up, yikes

A spektrum full size rx will go 2-2.5 miles LOS. You obviously have something going on there that needs attention. It'll just loose signal again without figuring out what happened and whats causing it. What is the rx and where are they mounted? Sats?

Yea I was just reading some post of a guy getting 2+ miles with his 6100...I have a DX7s / AR8000 set up...I had my 8000 mounted on the bottom frames tab on the back of the quad and the little antenna (is that the sat?) mounted on the opposite tab on the bottom of the frame...

Is there something the TX/RX does when you do the range test? I would really like to figure this out because I love flying off the back of my deck there...

One thing I should mention is there was a lot more wind than I had anticipated...when I was trying to bring the quad back into it just kept drifting...In the video you can see a few seconds before it hits the road where I turn it to face the apt's I try to pull it back right and it does a little bit but then it went hard left again and is where I feel I lost signal...

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Brett,

Sorry you had the crash.

Did you set your fail safe and verify it in your TX calibration screen.
On the DX7s you have to make sure to set to pre set fail safe and not last known signal.

I can help you out if that is the case.

Send me an email if you need any replacement parts. I think you purchased from me.

kloner

Aerial DP
take it you didn't look at the rx's to see if they were flashing or not when you picked it up. Are you seeing both sattelite and ar8000 light up solid

call robert, have him get ya going

take it you didn't look at the rx's to see if they were flashing or not when you picked it up. Are you seeing both sattelite and ar8000 light up solid

call robert, have him get ya going

Actually the battery strap snapped and the lipo went skidding along also so it didn't have power...I emailed him so yea hopefully we'll get it figured out...Thanks for all the input!

mailman35

yeah those stock dji straps kinda suck for sticking power... mine gave away a few times, so ive replaced it with hook and loop velcro on the top plate + longer velcro straps to hold the bat down better

Kilby

It seems to me that there is one big obvious thing here that no one has commented on... you weren't even outside, you were flying this from the porch of an apartment complex, correct?

I hate to sound like the old man of the bunch, but please don't do that again. It's very stupid. You are basically sitting inside of a huge concrete box with one wall missing, while being as close as possible to an entire community worth of Wi-fi & wireless interference. I'm surprised you made it as far as you did tbh.

If that is not the case, then please except my apology, but from the video, it looks like that is exactly what you were doing. I think the last thing that any of us on here want to see are headlines in the local Cinci paper describing a 10 car pileup caused by someone recklessly flying a drone.

Go outside to fly, or find a gym that doesn't mind lettings you practice in doors. Doing sketching things like this puts everyone around in danger. ;-)

It seems to me that there is one big obvious thing here that no one has commented on... you weren't even outside, you were flying this from the porch of an apartment complex, correct?

I hate to sound like the old man of the bunch, but please don't do that again. It's very stupid. You are basically sitting inside of a huge concrete box with one wall missing, while being as close as possible to an entire community worth of Wi-fi & wireless interference. I'm surprised you made it as far as you did tbh.

If that is not the case, then please except my apology, but from the video, it looks like that is exactly what you were doing. I think the last thing that any of us on here want to see are headlines in the local Cinci paper describing a 10 car pileup caused by someone recklessly flying a drone.

Go outside to fly, or find a gym that doesn't mind lettings you practice in doors. Doing sketching things like this puts everyone around in danger. ;-)

Well I can say I never thought about it like that...Technically I was outside and considering the technology and previous flights I highly doubt it was due to the wifi...

But then again looking at it like that I guess it isn't so smart...Yes luckily no one or nothing was hurt and that was far from my intentions...I've never taken any of my helis/quads out near that road I like to stay far away from it as possible specifically for the incident that did happen...

Thanks for your two cents...

mailman35

open fields are great nothing to crash in to but the ground :p id hate to see what would happen if the quad ran in to a person :O

WillM

Man, I think I would have soiled my undies watching it crash toward the road. That is my #2 concern - dropping the multi in a place that could cause a motorcycle or car accident (#1 injuring somone).

I'm new to receivers with satellites, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere in the Spektrum manual that the receiver antenna and satellite antenna should be placed on opposite planes. I have the receiver on the bottom plate with the antenna pointing straight back, parallel to the bottom plate. I have the satellite attached to the side of one of the front arms, with its two small antennas pointing up and down, parallel to the motor shafts.

I asked the local hobby guru, and he said the mounting was 'exactly right'.

kloner

Aerial DP
or one on the top plate, one on the bottom plate kinda like helis are done, one left, one right. i did mine like you described yours. what you don't want is them all in line on the same plane, makes less redundancy cause if one gets blocked , they both do.

http://www.multirotorforums.com/album.php?albumid=55

Can't even imagine watchin it go off like that towards people and property

That mention of being in the concrete building with wifi all around is a pretty realistic problem. Go somewhere, have fun

Yea I had both the receiver and sat on that bottom frame...When I lost it I had a mild panic attack...It was aweful

Kloner I appreciate that gallery...helps a lot as far as a set up goes...

I'll definitely have those two set up differently this next time...I have some stuff to really work with now I appreciate all the help guys

Kilby

Be sure to set up a failsafe as well. At the very least, make sure it won't fly off into the great wide open if you lose contact. Who knows where it will land if that happens. If you are using a WK-M, set up a RTH with autoland. If you have the Naza, set the throttle just under half so it will slowly make it's way to the ground.